CO Unit 62

My father and I are planning a hunt to GMU 62 this fall during archery season. I have a few questions as this is our first time hunting this area, as our previous experiences have been in the SW portion of the state around Pagosa Springs. We are currently looking to hunt the area between, Long Point and Love Lake area, I understand that is a large area but, looks like an area with high elevations and some limitation of road access, is this true, or is there a better area we should focus our interest on. Looking to set a base camp and pack in one or two nights at a time.

We are also looking for some one that may be willing to assist in packing out elk if we are lucking enough to harvest one. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 62 is the most heavily unit in Colorado . Good luck getting away from people in there , but there is some good bulls in there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up hunting this exact area. As already stated unit 62 is one of the most heavily hunted in the entire state, but there’s some good bulls. My father and myself both took our first bulls in the area. Hunting used to be pretty solid but starting right around 2010 it grew in popularity so much so that it’s difficult to get away from others. Multiple guide services run the area on horseback and have many camps along Kelso and Long. Last I hunted it a couple years ago I backpacked in solo about two and half hours in and ended up running into a couple new outfitted horse camps that were previously not there. One right below the waterhole next to where I shot my first bull, and one right above the meadow that we would always get into bulls, and where my dad shot his first wall mounter. I’ve since moved on and glad that I did. For all the years we spent hunting there, my brother and I left and in the few years since in different units have taken our best bulls by quite a stretch. Doesn’t mean you can’t be successful in 62 but it’s going to be very crowded. I wouldn’t personally spent the time and energy to pack into a spot unless you’ve verified that it doesn’t have horse camps already there. If there’s a roadless area I wouldn’t bet against that possibility.

Some things to keep in mind if you decide to hunt there: Divide road is rough on tires. Make sure you have good tires and a full sized spare (or two). Can’t count the number of flats we had over the years. Also, Long Point is nasty if/when it rains. It’s a mud slide when the conditions are right. Countless trucks I’ve seen stuck on the sides of the road. Bring chains.

Good luck!

OP
A
Thanks for the replies. Would there be any benefit from coming into the area from Delta instead off of Divide Road?

Bowhunted 62 back in 2015. Lot's of hunters so get way back in and away from roads. Lotsa bears, not a bad idea to pick up a bear tag. Nice country.

Reactions: FLS
Lotsa bears, not a bad idea to pick up a bear tag.

Tons of bears for sure. If you want to bear hunt, make sure you have a plan to meet the mandatory inspection requirement:

"Hunters must personally present bears to a CPW office (listed on the inside cover) for a free inspection, check report and sealing within five working days after the kill."

For backpack archery hunters that sometimes is tough to plan for. Don't try to bend this rule though because they're pretty strict about it.

KHNC

WKR
I would pick a different otc unit if it were me. Then, dont post on open forum asking for details. Anyone hunting 62 can see this and may think of trying your exact spot when they previously may not have thought about it. Just a suggestion based on the above replies.

strut22

FNG
Hunted 62 last year as mentioned its crowded and it's full of ATV hunters. If you dont have an atv it's hard to get around because the side roads are so rough. Good news is if you get more than a 1/2 mile off a road you'll probably be alone.

OP
A
Thanks for all the replies, We understand that there will be several hunters in the area, The state numbers are very clear on this, it also shows that the percentage of success is fairly high.

The Bear tips are interesting and something we will look into,

All Tips are much appreciated, I understand that some tips may help other hunters as well, we are fairly versed in hunting public land, we just have limited knowledge of this particular area... All information is much appreciated.

bailey214

FNG
I rifle hunted 62 last year in 2nd season and it was my first elk hunt and first hunt in the mountains. Saw ALOT of people, a few cows, and numerous muley’s.

I’m going back to 62 this year in late season with a completely different plan. No base camp and hike in as far as I can. The comment about get away from the roads and you won’t see the people is accurate. Didn’t see a single hunter with a pack on and hiking. Everyone was on side by sides and 4 wheelers.

Many say “the most hunted unit in CO” but most also say “a lot of big bulls in there”. I’m up for the challenge and willing to give it another season or two before deciding to move on. In 2020 will try to hunt archery and late season.

Kalebcs

FNG
I’ve hunted 62 archery elk for the past five seasons. My families been hunting there since the 70s And we’ve had some success. Learned a lot in the past couple seasons it seems. The advice about horse camps is true. Spent a couple hours hiking to a great looking bench on the map, only to find a outfitter city right where I was hoping to find Elk sign. And we’ve had some success. Learned a lot in the past couple seasons it seems. The advice about horse camps is true. Spent a couple hours hiking to a great looking bench on the map, only to find a outfitter city right where I was hoping to find Elk sign. My best advice is to not try to avoid crowds, but to use them to your advantage. There is Elk all over the unit, but they find the pockets of no pressure. The ATV guys don’t venture far from the Ros my best advice is to not try to avoid crowds, but to use them to your advantage. There is elk all over the unit, but they find the pockets of no pressure. The ATV guys usually don’t venture far from the road. Find some dark timber or steeper elevation with a little seclusion and you will probably find Elk. For what it’s worth, I have full confidence in that unit, but I will be looking for a “More wild” experience in the future. Shoot the first legal elk you see and be stoked about it! Good luck!