CO Unit 66 Bear tag

bigjacs22

FNG
I drew both an archery deer and bear tag for Unit 66 Colorado. I have scouted my butt off for deer but have yet to see any bears. Does any body have any information that may help with scouting for bears or tendencies of bears in that unit? I have never bear hunted and curious as to what elevations they might be hanging out and to check for? I obviously have prioritized the mule deer tag and been above 12,000 ft with no results. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I have a good friend who hunts elk in 65 on years he dosent draw, and 67 on years he does draw. Gets a bear tag each trip. He has taken 2 really nice bears in 67 with archery gear.......and the way he is doing it is hunting elk spot and stalk/walking around and happening upon bears feeding. Basically he is getting dumb lucky, but has pulled it off 2 of the last 4 seasons.....while also harvesting a cow and a bull in that time.

So....what I am saying is stalk quietly, and cross your fingers. Thats a decent area for bears.

OP
B

bigjacs22

FNG
I have a good friend who hunts elk in 65 on years he dosent draw, and 67 on years he does draw. Gets a bear tag each trip. He has taken 2 really nice bears in 67 with archery gear.......and the way he is doing it is hunting elk spot and stalk/walking around and happening upon bears feeding. Basically he is getting dumb lucky, but has pulled it off 2 of the last 4 seasons.....while also harvesting a cow and a bull in that time.

So....what I am saying is stalk quietly, and cross your fingers. Thats a decent area for bears.
That is great to know. The bear tag is good for both 66 and 67. I have heard that due to it being dry, the berry rich areas that normally hold bears regularly are not there this year and it is a crapshoot as to finding one.

techmanil

FNG
Your too high for bears a majority of them will be 8000 and lower
I keep reading this, yet in 65 where I hunt above 9500, we see all kinds of bear sign. I know nothing about bear hunting but what I read does not match what i have observed.

I drew both an archery deer and bear tag for Unit 66 Colorado. I have scouted my butt off for deer but have yet to see any bears. Does any body have any information that may help with scouting for bears or tendencies of bears in that unit? I have never bear hunted and curious as to what elevations they might be hanging out and to check for? I obviously have prioritized the mule deer tag and been above 12,000 ft with no results. Thanks in advance.
Bears in the Fall will be in hyperphagia and eating constantly. They will be focused on acorns and berries. If those aren't near, the bears won't be near.