CO Unit 70/71

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
First year in CO and fires have already re-routed my plans for the OTC units I had intended to hunt. I am looking to move units and have a couple of specific questions about Unit 70/71 for someone who has boots on the ground experience in either or both units during archery or muzzleloader. They are general in nature and not about spot X or Y. If someone would be kind enough to answer a few questions, I'd appreciate a PM.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 71 a few times if you want to pm me.

These aren't otc anymore but you can prob get a leftover but so you would have to pick one unit or the other

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t drive through the country you’ll be driving through to hunt 70 unless you enjoy hanging out with other people.
Crowded as hell last year.

Depends on if one hunts like everyone else then yes there will be people everywhere. Find an area that most people won't go to due to terrain/blow down and you could be alone. ;)

chaza402

FNG
I’ve hunted this unit the past 10 years and the last 4 have been a F ing zoo. Can’t go anywhere in the unit anymore with out 4 or 5 groups hunting our hard to reach spots. The “find the spot that most wont go” comment above is exactly where everyone is going. We have spots that are 8 miles back and dumbasses will be camped smack in the middle of the basins where we have shot bulls through the years.
Even though it’s a draw there were a ton of tags released at O pts and there are still tags available on Leftover List. I’d say save your time and money for a draw unit.
The days of elk hunting OTC successfully year after year are dying out faster than the elk herds in the SW Colorado!!!

Even with 70 going from OTC to draw this year?
There isn't a whole lot of elk habitat in 70 compared to 71, and what elk habitat there is will be crawling with day hikers that come up out of Telluride. Not saying you cant get an Elk I avoid 70. Plus the herd numbers are down and it has been crazy hot down here for this time of year. I will probably skip the first week this year unless it really cools down.

There is a reason there are 800 left over archery tags for that area. Maybe in a few years it will improve, but for now not so much. Cow tags are almost nonexistent and the CPW doesn’t care how low they drop the bulls. There stated goal is 13 bulls/100 cows for the time being so they can continue to oversell bull tags.

Crawfish

FNG
I’ve been hunting there the last 8 years and had good hunts up until 2016. Big groups everywhere and the pressure has been bad no matter how deep I go. I used to hear bugles but only heard 4 bugles the last four years. I’m trying a new unit this year.

I’ve been hunting there the last 8 years and had good hunts up until 2016. Big groups everywhere and the pressure has been bad no matter how deep I go. I used to hear bugles but only heard 4 bugles the last four years. I’m trying a new unit this year.
Been my experience too, crawfish. It seems 70 gets hammered harder than any other unit in Southwest Colorado. The declining elk populations don’t help the situation either.

I've hunted 70/71 the past three years. First two years we saw a lot of people but never ran into many once we where off the trail. Last year was insane we ran into hunters everyday just about. We have decided to hunt a new unit this season. Feel free to PM if you have questions, I can try to help. Ran into a local one morning who stated he had hunted the area we were in for 14 years and never ran into anybody. It was a hell of hike to get in how we did, also ran into camps throughout both units 7 miles in. Pretty country and steep, hopefully making this a draw unit will lessen the crowd eventually.