CO unit 71 archery

DLP

FNG
I have been hunting gmu 71 for the last few years and have not been successful. I usually spend about 2-3 weeks up there during archery season. Last year we got a good amount of snow right after I arrived, I believe I saw more elk down on the highway the couple times I went to Dolores than up on the Mesa or in the drainages. Anyone have any pointers for someone trying to figure out elk hunting on their own?

OP
DLP

DLP

FNG
Ended up drawing this tag on the secondary draw. Will be solo again this year. Anyone else on here going to be in that area for archery? Would be nice to meet up with some fellow hunters. The limited draw pretty much cut out the people I normally know when I go up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnwebb45

FNG
A friend and myself will be there this year. He has hunted there and 711 for the last four years or so, this will be my first elk hunt. Pretty excited to go and learn all that I can.

OP
DLP

DLP

FNG
Good deal, I will most likely be in 71 on about sep 6th hopefully for 2-3weeks. It has definitely been a learning experience for me. I haven’t been successful yet but have at least seen elk the last few years I have went.

chasewild

WKR
You're doing it right -- just keep at it, and learn like from the best classroom available -- OTC (ish) units in CO.

Stay mobile, stay positive, don't go home. Best of luck.

jnwebb45

FNG
Good deal, I will most likely be in 71 on about sep 6th hopefully for 2-3weeks. It has definitely been a learning experience for me. I haven’t been successful yet but have at least seen elk the last few years I have went.

As of right now the tentative plan is to get there on the 10th and stay for a couple weeks as well. That could change some depending on how another draw I put in for goes. Feel free to message me if you’d like to chat more and possibly meet up. Being a newbie I’m always eager to pick the brain of others who have more experience.

Reactions: DLP
OP
DLP

DLP

FNG
As of right now the tentative plan is to get there on the 10th and stay for a couple weeks as well. That could change some depending on how another draw I put in for goes. Feel free to message me if you’d like to chat more and possibly meet up. Being a newbie I’m always eager to pick the brain of others who have more experience.

How has 711 been. Been pretty slow in 71 so far. Had a few close encounters just haven’t sealed the deal yet.