CO Unit 77 2nd Rifle

Myself and two buddies are planning on hitting the Weminuche Wilderness area for a second season rifle hunt. We will have a few days to scout and set up a spike camp where we see fit. Cimarrona and Williams Creek are our the two TH's we are thinking about starting on. We are aware of the outfitter and NR pressure in the unit as well as the ruggedness of the terrain.

Can anyone provide any info about this area of the unit? Anything helps, thanks!!

-MM

Raberd14

FNG
I'm heading into that area in archery season again this year. It's getting tougher and tougher, lots of pressure and less elk compared to even 4-5yrs ago.

Since you're doing 2nd season otc, I'd call the cpw and ask for some more ideas. Theres a ton of options statewide for 2nd rifle. And since 77 went to limited archery tags, it may put even more guys in there in rifle season. As far as the areas you mentioned, William's creek gets you access to a lot of area, it's a reasonable hike with multiple drainages on either side to explore and get away from people, and you can get 8 miles or so deep. The cimmarona trail will have less hunters on it but it's a smaller hunting area and it's a pretty brutal hike getting up there. Wherever you end up, plan on packing light and covering lots of ground looking for elk and fresh sign. Highly recommend taking a good spotting scope, getting up high and glassing at daybreak and dusk, then during the day find the thickest timber around and look for fresh sign. Best of luck to y'all.

Myself and two buddies are planning on hitting the Weminuche Wilderness area for a second season rifle hunt. We will have a few days to scout and set up a spike camp where we see fit. Cimarrona and Williams Creek are our the two TH's we are thinking about starting on. We are aware of the outfitter and NR pressure in the unit as well as the ruggedness of the terrain.

Can anyone provide any info about this area of the unit? Anything helps, thanks!!

-MM
How did it go?