CO unit S09 Ram Archery!!

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all.

Been stalking Rokslide now for about a year or so now. Mostly on the elk side of things. Truthfully I never thought I'd draw a ram tag, especially with the amount of points I have (or don't have lol). I feel really lucky to even have the tag in my hand. Crazy feeling.

Anyways, this is my first time even thinking about sheep hunting, let alone scouting/planning/executing a hunt itself. I've scoured the forums here and some other places. Heard the same thing over and over. Steep, low success, etc. I'm not gonna let all that get me down though! I tend to backpack hunt elk/deer in the steepest nastiest terrain I can find (ie maroon bells) and have a ton of miles under my boots since I moved to the state a few years ago. Regardless, I've already started emphasizing more cardio in my current workouts. I know it's going to suck...

I've got a bunch of the kill sites already mapped out, a few different trails/passes marked that I plan on using to cross over into different drainages. The terrain is interesting in that it looks like a lot of the drainages are set up like fingers. Stacked parallel with the only access to them starting at the bottom. Meaning an out and back hike if you want to access anything. I'm going to try to find some sneaks this summer that might cut some of the time off...

Anyways, just throwing out a feeler to see if anyone has any words of advice for a new sheep hunter. I've already decided this will be a fully DIY hunt. Shelling out money for new glass, pack, and some new boots midway through summer scouting is expensive enough. Guide just isn't feasible. Speaking of glass, I am looking at a vortex razor 16-48x65. This will be my first spotting scope ever. Am I going to be underwhelmed with the zoom on it? I don't care about counting growth rings or finding the biggest ram, just want to know if its a half curl or not.

Anyone else draw this unit? Anyone spend much time there recently? Regardless i appreciate it guys this is an awesome community! I'll be sharing some scouting trips and the hunt itself successful or not.

ahlgringo

WKR
congrats on the tag- definitely one of the tougher tags physically.

Having spent a lot of time in there- unfortunately what you are finding with steepness and having to hike out and back in to change north south drainages is accurate. There are a few passes that allow traverse, but a lot of them you would also need to be roped up to pass safely.

feel free to pm me, and can share some of my experiences.

chasewild

WKR
The country requires that you'll have to spend as many days in the unit as you can for the exact reason you've identified. You have to get in and out each time to relocate. Weekend after weekend after weekend after weekend. It's incredible country, and it's a doable hunt for sure, but you have your work cut out for you. And, now you're required to update your thread.

As for your spotter, you definitely want one, but if you don't use one in your other hunts, I wouldn't say any alpha glass is necessary. The vortex will do fine, but I'd recommend getting a tripod for your binos -- with at least 10x and I'd recommend 12x on a tripod.

Early ups, find those white spots! Sheep are either the easiest thing to see or the hardest thing to see depending on which way they are facing.

Last edited:

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag! S9 sounds like a hunt that is gonna stick with you forever! I remember a guy in here a few years back commenting that he got stuck in high country lightning storms/downpour day after day for like a week or so, so sounds like you should prepare for some rain and lightning just in case. Not sure how to prepare for lightning but I’m sure others here can help with that.....at any rate that’s a sweet hunt and tag!

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I am planning on being prepared for the late summer afternoon monsoons. Sounds like the best option is to put a ram to bed and get in close in the morning. I saw a thread while searching about a muley hunter that was killed by a lightning strike on a high country hunt up there. Really unfortunate and kind of a reality check.

Thanks for the rec on the spotter too. I was hoping I wouldn't be 'under-gunned' if I got the vortex. I have a set of binos that I plan on getting a tripod for as well.

Anyone hunt this unit and have some success?

And don't worry, updates will follow...

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex is great glass for the money. A friend of ours who does 1,000 yard competitive shooting and owns a bullet company used to be a NightForce guy. His NFs kept moving on him and he's completely made the switch to Vortex scopes. The company continues to grow and improve and their customer service is exceptional.

I'd recommend researching what you are wanting and looking in some classifieds. You can find some good deals out there and it helps both you and the seller. Just be wary of scammers if you post a WTB thread.

Should you opt to go the guided route, Sangre De Cristo Outfitters has the best guide in S9. He'll get you an opportunity on a ram. If you are second guessing yourself and reconsidering the self-guided thing, just remember that lower-end Alberta hunts are at $35-$40K. If a Rocky is a goal of yours, the outfitter route isn't that expensive, all things considered. With the recent changes in CO sheep, goat, and moose applications, this could be your last tag you draw.

Go find a canyon and practice your angles. I did this in preparation for my archery sheep hunt and blew-up many arrows on canyon walls. Practice angles and distance starting yesterday!

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could shell out the dough for a guide but I just have too much going on financially this year. Truthfully I was not even remotely expecting to draw this tag. I saw it had "easier" draw odds and wanted to give myself the best shot before the 2018 group hits eligibility in a few years. I drew with only 3 +1. I am truly honored to even be given a shot at such an animal. I know there's a lot of guys who have been waiting 15+ years to have an opportunity.

I'm sure Sangre Outfitters is a great outfit after everything I've read on here but something in me wants to see if I could accomplish this task DIY. Even if I don't fill the tag I'll know I gave it all I had.

kscowboy01 - I used to live up in summit county and would play around on the mountains with my target and bow with angles! Ton of fun. Ever since the girlfriend dragged me to the front range I haven't been able to play around like that for a year or two. Now I have an excuse to go play around again lol. I actually am in the process of welding together a bow press to make tuning a little bit easier at the range (or mountain).

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag. I drew the S09 archery as well. Should be a fun hunt, I've never spent time in that country so I'm looking forward to getting some scouting in.

I just pulled the trigger on the Vortex 16-48 x 65mm for this hunt. I typically run their 80mm, but I don't want to haul that heavy thing up in that country. You can find some really good prices on brand new gen1 razors right now on a few different sites. I found mine on ebay.

Good luck, hopefully we will have some success stories to share!

HUNTNUT

FNG
I wish I could shell out the dough for a guide but I just have too much going on financially this year. Truthfully I was not even remotely expecting to draw this tag. I saw it had "easier" draw odds and wanted to give myself the best shot before the 2018 group hits eligibility in a few years. I drew with only 3 +1. I am truly honored to even be given a shot at such an animal. I know there's a lot of guys who have been waiting 15+ years to have an opportunity.

I'm sure Sangre Outfitters is a great outfit after everything I've read on here but something in me wants to see if I could accomplish this task DIY. Even if I don't fill the tag I'll know I gave it all I had.

kscowboy01 - I used to live up in summit county and would play around on the mountains with my target and bow with angles! Ton of fun. Ever since the girlfriend dragged me to the front range I haven't been able to play around like that for a year or two. Now I have an excuse to go play around again lol. I actually am in the process of welding together a bow press to make tuning a little bit easier at the range (or mountain).
Hey all.

Been stalking Rokslide now for about a year or so now. Mostly on the elk side of things. Truthfully I never thought I'd draw a ram tag, especially with the amount of points I have (or don't have lol). I feel really lucky to even have the tag in my hand. Crazy feeling.

Anyways, this is my first time even thinking about sheep hunting, let alone scouting/planning/executing a hunt itself. I've scoured the forums here and some other places. Heard the same thing over and over. Steep, low success, etc. I'm not gonna let all that get me down though! I tend to backpack hunt elk/deer in the steepest nastiest terrain I can find (ie maroon bells) and have a ton of miles under my boots since I moved to the state a few years ago. Regardless, I've already started emphasizing more cardio in my current workouts. I know it's going to suck...

I've got a bunch of the kill sites already mapped out, a few different trails/passes marked that I plan on using to cross over into different drainages. The terrain is interesting in that it looks like a lot of the drainages are set up like fingers. Stacked parallel with the only access to them starting at the bottom. Meaning an out and back hike if you want to access anything. I'm going to try to find some sneaks this summer that might cut some of the time off...

Anyways, just throwing out a feeler to see if anyone has any words of advice for a new sheep hunter. I've already decided this will be a fully DIY hunt. Shelling out money for new glass, pack, and some new boots midway through summer scouting is expensive enough. Guide just isn't feasible. Speaking of glass, I am looking at a vortex razor 16-48x65. This will be my first spotting scope ever. Am I going to be underwhelmed with the zoom on it? I don't care about counting growth rings or finding the biggest ram, just want to know if its a half curl or not.

Anyone else draw this unit? Anyone spend much time there recently? Regardless i appreciate it guys this is an awesome community! I'll be sharing some scouting trips and the hunt itself successful or not.

I missed a ram in the Sangres with my bow in 1981. I drew a S9 Archery tag 3 years in a row, second choice! Not as easy today.

Killed a nice P&Y NT mule deer there in 1982 (was a sheep hunt until the buck was spotted). Hope you can get a mule deer tag too. It was a dang long pack out on the buck but well worth it! Good luck!