CO Units 18 and 28

rspecht55

FNG
Hi all,

I’m heading out to CO this summer around Winter Park to look around these units. We plan on a September Archery hunt but don’t know much about them. One of the big questions is will these units hold elk during September. Talked with a buddy that went out to CO last year and the unit they hunted the elk did not move into until late in the season. Just want to ask the right questions so we are prepared. Any other information is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
yes there are elk there, yes that area gets hammered with hunters in ALL seasons. Not an easy tag to fill

Gerbdog

WKR
Make sure your chasing elk and not the abundant moose in the area..... my very first year after moving to CO i did that.... saw lots of moose.... and thought i was looking at really big elk sign haha.... just wasnt accustomed to having moose around elk at the same time back then.

Cfujan

FNG
Agree with ahlgringo. Hunted unit 28 last year, first half of Sep. There are definitely elk in the area, we had multiple opportunities but didn’t close the deal; it was our first time out. There is definitely pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Avoid cow moose and young bull moose by at least 50 yards. They may look docile and slow and stupid, but they are the only animal in Colorado I am scared of.

Gerbdog

WKR
Avoid cow moose and young bull moose by at least 50 yards. They may look docile and slow and stupid, but they are the only animal in Colorado I am scared of.
First year hunting CO, again, in the areas mentioned here.... was sitting on a wallow (incidentally only saw a huge bull moose in it) and had a cow moose come in and lay down 30 yards from me upwind.... sat there for 3 hours until wind shifted and she caught my scent...

I was freaking out a bit when she came in at first and for the first half hour.... then i got bored freaking out i guess.... and then freaked out again when wind shifted haha

sndmn11

WKR
First year hunting CO, again, in the areas mentioned here.... was sitting on a wallow (incidentally only saw a huge bull moose in it) and had a cow moose come in and lay down 30 yards from me upwind.... sat there for 3 hours until wind shifted and she caught my scent...

I was freaking out a bit when she came in at first and for the first half hour.... then i got bored freaking out i guess.... and then freaked out again when wind shifted haha
My first LE job was there and it was unnerving how tourists would walk right up to the moose. Moose Jams from people stopping on the road to snap pictures or oh-ahh were a PITA and those things don't give people any indication of being uncomfortable until they are ready to stomp. Whereas every other animal, including cats and bears, will booger off when they know they are seen or see a person walking towards them.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly do hold elk. Also likely holds the state record for amount of hunters and hikers in the units as it is so close to Denver.

Lots of deadfall as well

Yooper

WKR
This was unit 18 a few years ago. Should look almost the same now except for scorched earth added after the fires went through. Probably the most physically demanding hunt I ever had in some areas.
CO DF.jpg

Riplip

WKR
Not to discourage you but as mentioned above these units get absolutely hammered by recreational users and other hunters. Winter Park and surrounding area has grown immensely in the last few years. Yes there are absolutely elk there, and I have seen a few great bulls but they are difficult to find. Just my $.02, but that is hunting OTC public. Look high in Sept.