CO Wilderness hunt - Gear recommendations

MI Hunter

FNG
Hey Guys, I'm new to RokSlide and looking for some recommendations for a wilderness elk hunt in CO in 2019. This year I spend a couple days in the backcountry and loved it, so I need to get my own gear and head back next year. Most likely the gear will only be used for 1 hunt a year so not looking to spend a fortune but also want to get gear that will last. I've done a lot of research already but would like anyone's recommendations. I will be camping / hunting around 10.5 - 11.5k elevation.

Backpack: I'm done to 3 packs: Exo Mountain K2 3500, Kuiu Icon 3200 or Stone Glacier
Sleeping bag: REI Magma 10 seems to be the best for the money 850 goose down ~2 lbs and $250
Tent: Few options Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 / MSR Hubba Hubba NX, Marmot Tungsten UL 2
Water purification: MSR TrailShot Pocket filter

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
If you choose the Kuiu Icon pack I'd get the 6000 bag instead of 3200. The bigger bag will be more versatile for over night hunts but also compresses down to day pack size nicely also. You won't be adding any extra weight really and the big bag isn't bulky when you cinch it down.

I have the marmot tungsten 1p tent and for 12 days In Colorado this last sept. (Last 2 weeks of archery)Had zero issues. Rained ony 3 times but was dry when it did. I think I would get a 2p vs. a 1p for more gear room but the vestibule was effective for gear and I wanted to keep weight down. I ran a Sawyer filter system but I think your msr is fine. Then i used a Slumberjack 40° bag, depending on time of year the bag your looking at will work. I will say my partner had a 10° bag and wished he had a warmer one because that bag took up alot of room in his pack and it was warm this year. We ran cheap cabelas frame packs but I am a kuiu fan so you know what i would tell you to get for a pack but your 3 options are all good ones. Steepandcheap.com by backcountry has alot of good gear for discount. Headlamps, trekking poles, tents, sleeping bags, camp cooking, even mtn. House meals, but what works for me, might not work for you. If you can test the stuff before you leave, do it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I've only been on one Backcountry hunt so no expert. I used a kuiu icon pro 3200 and it was great but too small for the pack in and out. I looked like a hobo hiking up the mountain. Get a 5200 or even a 7200, they cinch down very well.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with Exo's packs but I've owned both Kuiu and Stone Glacier. I think it's wise to try them out and see what fits you best. Order and return. Also can't stress enough how important lightweight gear is.
That said, I would look at an Enlightened Equipment quilt over the REI magma 10. If you order before the end of the year you can save 10% on the revelation quilt, pay about the same as the Magma and save a LOT of weight.
So many tent options out there. I would maybe steer towards a Tarptent Protrail or Notch. They are both on the small side but inexpensive and light weight. Floorless pyramids tents are my personal favorite. Super light and roomy. If you like freestanding...I'm not sure...
The MSR trailshot looks great! I use a sawyer squeeze but will probably pick up a trailshot to check it out.
Best of luck! :D

Jimss

WKR
If you are pinched for cash I'd take a look at the classified section of this website, Craigslist, Ebay, etc and pick up nearly new stuff. In regard to packs you'll have a tough time beating Stone Glacier or Kifaru. You will likely find that smaller packs are only designed for around 50 lb wt and bulk max. I would seriously consider a 6000 cu in or large bag. If a large pack isn't fully loaded you can cinch things down tight but if you don't have enough room you are screwed!

High-rise-hunters recommendation for a Tarptent is a good option. Big Agnes also are good. I've had a gob of tents over the years and finally bit the bullet years ago and bought a Hilleberg Nallo tent. It is a 4 season tent that is bomberproof. When I go to Alaska or late season hunting I use the tent plus fly plus footprint. I've used the fly alone plus painters plastic many years on early season hunts. It only weighs around 2 1/2 lbs and can withstand horrible conditions. The nice thing about it is the verticle walls with gobs of usable space. It has a giant vestibule for gear plus cooking. On extended trips with horrible weather it certainly is nice having plenty of room!

I would highly advise a down bag here in Colo. Down bags are a lot lighter and compact. I actually use a 0 degree bag and unzip it or sleep on top of it when it's warm. I'm cold blooded and a 0 degree bag is about right..even on early season hunts. I always have mine in a dry bag to make certain it doesn't get wet. If you want top of the line bags...it's tough to beat Western Mountaineering.

As mentioned above, I've found that it is always good to buy the best quality equipment. If you are serious about backpack hunting a lot of the cheaper gear you buy when you first start out will likely sit on the shelf in years to come! I can usually find sales or deals on nearly new gear for around 1/2 price!

- - - Updated - - -

If you are pinched for cash I'd take a look at the classified section of this website, Craigslist, Ebay, etc and pick up nearly new stuff. In regard to packs you'll have a tough time beating Stone Glacier or Kifaru. You will likely find that smaller packs are only designed for around 50 lb wt and bulk max. I would seriously consider a 6000 cu in or large bag. If a large pack isn't fully loaded you can cinch things down tight but if you don't have enough room you are screwed!

High rise hunters recommendation for a Tarptent is a good option. Big Agnes also are good. I've had a gob of tents over the years and finally bit the bullet years ago and bought a Hilleberg Nallo tent. I use the fly alone with poles on early season hunts. When I go to Alaska or late season hunting the West use the tent plus fly plus footprint. It is a 4 season tent that is bomberproof. I've used the fly alone plus painters plastic many years on early season hunts. It only weighs around 2 1/2 lbs and can withstand horrible conditions. The nice thing about it is the verticle walls with gobs of usable space. It has a giant vestibule for gear plus cooking.

I would highly advise a down bag here in Colo. Down bags are a lot lighter and compact. I actually use a 0 degree bag and unzip it or sleep on top of it when it's warm. I always have mine in a dry bag to make certain it doesn't get wet. If you want top of the line bags...it's tough to beat Western Mountaineering.

As mentioned above, I've found that it is always good to buy the best quality equipment. If you are serious about backpack hunting a lot of the cheaper gear you buy when you first start out will likely sit on the shelf in years to come! I can usually find sales or deals on nearly new gear for around 1/2 price!

- - - Updated - - -

High rise hunters recommendation for a Tarptent is a good option. Big Agnes also are good. I've had a gob of tents over the years and finally bit the bullet years ago and bought a Hilleberg Nallo tent. I use the fly alone with poles on early season hunts. When I go to Alaska or late season hunting the West use the tent plus fly plus footprint. It is a 4 season tent that is bomberproof. I've used the fly alone plus painters plastic many years on early season hunts. It only weighs around 2 1/2 lbs and can withstand horrible conditions. The nice thing about it is the verticle walls with gobs of usable space. It has a giant vestibule for gear plus cooking.

I would highly advise a down bag here in Colo. Down bags are a lot lighter and compact. I actually use a 0 degree bag and unzip it or sleep on top of it when it's warm. I always have mine in a dry bag to make certain it doesn't get wet. If you want top of the line bags...it's tough to beat Western Mountaineering.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

mrgreen

WKR
You have some great suggestions here. I would just add, your pack should be the last thing you buy. First gather everything, including food and you'll have a much better idea for pack size. If it helps, use the trick where you put it all in an empty box and calculate cubic inches (or liters).

I do agree, everything being equal. You can't go wrong with a larger pack on a solid frame.

Last edited:

cknlg1

FNG
I agree with MRGREEN. Buy your pack last. Last year was my first trip out west. In Colorado OTC second rifle. Be prepared for anything, especially at that elevation. We ended up camping at 9600 feet. 60 degrees during the day with a sunburn and 15 degrees waking up to snow in the morning. High elevation unfortunately makes you have to prepare for everything. Water sources are generally plentiful so that is of minimal concern. JetBoil should be your only food cooking necessity if you are backpacking. Save yourself weight and trouble. The other thing for me is....no matter how many times I go on these trips or hunts I always think I am going to be hungry. I overpack food. Plan for snacks and one meal a day. I don't usually eat til It is dark and I am back in camp and not sure about you but I am not looking to make a grand breakfast at 4 am. Good luck buddy!

Resale on kifaru and stone glacier is usually somewhere around 70% retail so if cash is a concern you can always buy it and if you decide the backcountry thing isnt for you then you wont be out alot.

That said I did it with a plane Jane REI Crest trail 70 liter pack. My pack weight with rifle and food was 54 lbs roughly. Coming out with an animal would have sucked but I knew that going in and saved the $500 plus on the pack for my first trip

OFFHNTN

WKR
Hey Guys, I'm new to RokSlide and looking for some recommendations for a wilderness elk hunt in CO in 2019. This year I spend a couple days in the backcountry and loved it, so I need to get my own gear and head back next year. Most likely the gear will only be used for 1 hunt a year so not looking to spend a fortune but also want to get gear that will last. I've done a lot of research already but would like anyone's recommendations. I will be camping / hunting around 10.5 - 11.5k elevation.

Backpack: I'm done to 3 packs: Exo Mountain K2 3500, Kuiu Icon 3200 or Stone Glacier
Sleeping bag: REI Magma 10 seems to be the best for the money 850 goose down ~2 lbs and $250
Tent: Few options Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 / MSR Hubba Hubba NX, Marmot Tungsten UL 2
Water purification: MSR TrailShot Pocket filter

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I use and I would not use them if I wasn't satisfied.
Pack: EXO 3500
Sleeping back: NEMO Riff 15. But your magna looks decent for the money as well.
Tent: Marmot Tungsten UL 2.
Water Purification: Grayl bottle.

Good luck! I think all that you listed would work great!

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I used the trailshot last year and loved it. For a tent I went with a Nemo hornet 2p and loved that as well.

cmahoney

WKR
I can’t speak for the SG pack but I currently use an EXO 5500. I had a KUIU ultra 6000 previously and they are not even on the same level. I packed out two critters this year, one Muley with my camp in the EXO. For me it it seems to handle the weight way better than the KUIU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever your decide, get the lightest gear you can afford. Its the only way to backpack hunt.

OP
M

MI Hunter

FNG
I've looked a bunch of sleeping pads currently looking at either Klymit Insulated Static V lite R value 4.4 1lb 4oz or REI Flash R value 3.7 only 15 oz. Any recommendations from your side?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for comments - I was already considering the Exo 5500 since its only $50 more and thought the same thing better to have more room then less.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend picking up a kifaru frame and pack from the classifieds here. If you dont like it, you can sell it for what you paid for it. Those things hold their value like crazy. Also I will throw in the thermarest neoair xlite as my recommendation. Light and comfy, you'll be tough to find a better one. had a buddy that used klymit and he liked them but I didnt think they were as comfy as my xlite

I have an Exo 5500 and my wife has the 3500. Really like them but can’t compare them to any other packs. I would just spend the little extra and get the 5500 if I were you. They compress down fairly small when you don’t need them packed full.
I used a Tarptent last fall also. I liked it but am going with a tipi next year.

The bigger the pack you have the more crap you don't need you will take. A 3500 is plenty big for a 4-5 day hunt. If you are not seeing things or had opportunities in 4-5 days you would most likely be planning on switching areas anyway. If your truly going to hunker down for a 7-10 day then grab the 5500. My hunting partner has the Exo 5500 and with the roll top it packs down small. We hunted 9,500'-11,500' for 10 days. We switched locations 1 time (as in back to the truck). We slept where ever we wound up every other night. Gear list: Outdoorsman's Optics Hunter pack, Enlightened equipiment revelation 20 degree quilt, sea to summit pillow, Jet Boil, Fuel canister (MSR Large), Spork (sea to summit long handle), Thermarest Neo Air, Sea to summit Escapist 15D Tarp (Shelter), Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy, Ultra light tent stakes, Platypus gravity filter, Game bags, headlamp (black diamond spot), Paracord (50'), Outdoors edge knife with spare blades, zip ties, bone saw, minimal first aid kit(emergency fire starter, Bandages, Clotting powder, gauze), Phelps bugle tube, diaphragms calls, bow/arrows/release, cell phone, mophie charging case, extra batteries for head lamp, wallet, tags, life straw, $0.99 poncho, game unit map, toilet paper, wet wipes, sun screen, pocket knife, sun glasses, freeze dried meals (1/day), Food bags (rationed out to 1/day with assorted snacks and energy gels), glasses, contacts, contact solution, tooth brush , tooth paste, the pants I wear in, base layer shirt, mid layer, puffy jacket, ball cap, light wool socks (1 extra pair) Salomon GTX 4d quest boots, Bino harness, Binos, wind checker, range finder, and trekking poles, a couple lighters.

I obviously adjust clothing according to the forecast. I came in at 28.3lbs of weight in the pack without food and water. I had around 19lbs (cloths, bow, boots, arrows, binos, etc) on my persons. When food and water added my total gear weight all in was 58.5lbs. So 37ish pounds on my back. We hiked around 60 miles that 10 day stretch. I will be getting the exo 3500 pack this year.

I also track my gear list every year on an excel spread sheet. This was our third trip out. I was able to look at my list from the previous two years to eliminate things I did not use.

Sorry if you were not looking for such a rant and complete gear list.

cmahoney

WKR
I totally agree about bringing too much crap with a bigger pack. I’ll bet I packed 80 Pounds of junk into my Alaskan guide pack the first time I hunted in a wilderness area.

I run a bigger pack for several reasons even though an EXO 3500 is plenty big for my gear on a 4-5 day hunt. I am mainly a deer hunter and I usually pack a spotter/tripod. A lot of the time and the type of hunting I like is being up high. This year I packed my water up to my spot on my way in. I was able to put 3 platypus bags in my 5500 along with my Nalgene and camelback.

The other reason is it’s nice to have the extra room for family trips so I can carry gear for my wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk