CO Wolf on Film-Hush video

Carlin59

WKR
Saw the Hush guys captured a wolf on film on a recently posted 4th season deer tag. Film was a little grainy, but certainly looked like a wolf to me (but I’m no expert, only have seen a few in the wild). Curious if anyone has an idea of what part of the state they were in? North park pack, or a loner in a different region of CO?

I saw that too. He mentioned last year (2020) there was a huge fire. I imagine it was in gmu 18.

They showed quite a bit of the surrounding area. I bet someone on here knows where it is.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Wolves have been around various parts of northern Colorado for years.. nothing new here.
Certainly. But that fact has gotten exponentially more attention in the past few years, so somewhat noteworthy of an insta-celebrity documenting one on film. Just curious if this is in the area where they have typically been reported, or somewhere new.

Don’t forget Adam Greentree filmed grizzlies in Colorado just a few years ago. They were definitely grizzlies and not cinnamon black bears. Absolutely grizz

def90

WKR
Certainly. But that fact has gotten exponentially more attention in the past few years, so somewhat noteworthy of an insta-celebrity documenting one on film. Just curious if this is in the area where they have typically been reported, or somewhere new.

I know people in the Steamboat area that spend a good amount of time in the Mt Zirkel Wilderness area as well as other areas to the east in the Walden area that have all said they have been hearing wolves for years. I’ve heard stories of people seeing and hearing wolves as far south as the north side of Rocky Mtn National Park.

There was a reason for CPW to ignore reports and maintain the status quo of “there are no wolves in Colorado” as being a protected species CPW would have had to devote $$ and manpower they didn’t have toward developing the required management and protection programs. When the voter initiative came around all of a sudden CPW “discovered” a pack in Northern Colorado.

Rebel

FNG
i can say first had that during the 2021 2nd rifle season in unit 6 ( 8 miles east and 2 miles north of Walden CO) i took video of the wolf pack that is making news. The pack has 2 that are collared, a female (black) and a male ( grey). read the local news for some information on the impact they are already having on the community. As for myself and hunting partners that have been going to the same area for more that 20 years this was our last trip to the area and hope other hunters will do the same. if you look at a map and see where the wolves have taken residence you will also see there is an wildlife refuge just south of Walden where the elk and deer migrate to yearly.
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/02/02/gray-wolves-colorado-reintroduction-walden/