Coach rec's for recurve/traditional

Rob5589

WKR
I looked up coaches in my area (Sacramento, CA) and came up with several names. Does anybody have any experience with any of these folks or have a specific recommendation? Plan on shooting recurve for hunting.

Thanks

Deborah Dear
Jim Dubois
Irene Hashimoto
Robert Mead
Robert Moore
Lawrence Okinawa
Joshua Stark
Edward Titus

Geewhiz

WKR
Rob, take a drive to Denver and spend a day with Tom Clum. If you are serious and ready to commit, he is worth every penny.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Are they Stykbow coaches? A compound coach that understands styks is easily able to coach but he/she may not know the similarities. I’m that case don’t use em

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Are they Stykbow coaches? A compound coach that understands styks is easily able to coach but he/she may not know the similarities. I’m that case don’t use em
I haven't yet reached out to anyone but, would definitely look for someone that does.

Check out solid archery mechanics on the Push archery website. It’s Tom clum vertual teaching. There’s also Roots, which is Rod Jenkins teaching. I haven’t bought roots but I have several of the Masters of the Barebow films with Rod and would be willing to bet Roots is worth the money too.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't know any of them, I would get on the California page of bowsite and ask the same question or the traditional bowhunters page on Facebook, there's a number of people that are in California including the page creator. Then I would call each of them and go for one that's actually a bowhunter, that's one of the things that's so great about Tom Clum, he's foremost a hunter and has adapted the Olympic level training to archery, I don't actually know Rod Jenkins but imagine he's similar to Tom. I would also imagine you could go to one of the people on your list then buy Tom's online course and adapt what you were taught to hunting style

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know any of them, I would get on the California page of bowsite and ask the same question or the traditional bowhunters page on Facebook, there's a number of people that are in California including the page creator. Then I would call each of them and go for one that's actually a bowhunter, that's one of the things that's so great about Tom Clum, he's foremost a hunter and has adapted the Olympic level training to archery, I don't actually know Rod Jenkins but imagine he's similar to Tom. I would also imagine you could go to one of the people on your list then buy Tom's online course and adapt what you were taught to hunting style
That’s real good advice

bisblue

WKR
Check out solid archery mechanics on the Push archery website. It’s Tom clum vertual teaching. There’s also Roots, which is Rod Jenkins teaching. I haven’t bought roots but I have several of the Masters of the Barebow films with Rod and would be willing to bet Roots is worth the money too.
I'm taking this class, and it is amazing.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Tom's program sounds solid, no pun intended. But, is it in addition to in person coaching, or is it in lieu of?

I looked up coaches in my area (Sacramento, CA) and came up with several names. Does anybody have any experience with any of these folks or have a specific recommendation? Plan on shooting recurve for hunting.

Thanks

Deborah Dear
Jim Dubois
Irene Hashimoto
Robert Mead
Robert Moore
Lawrence Okinawa
Joshua Stark
Edward Titus
I don't recognize any of those names. What site are you looking at? If it's USArchery, then most likely they are Olympic recurve or target compound coaches and not that many of those folks know traditional hunting bows.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
It was the USA archery site. Kinda figured that it would be more target focused but it was a start.

Beendare

WKR
i shoot a trad tourney in and around Sacramento a couple times a year and I don’t recognize any of those names. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything though.

I would try calling a couple of the clubs up there or go into wilderness archery. Maya has a whole bunch of stickbow guys and they run a great tournament a couple times a year or at least used to before Covid.
There is a good group of trad shooters in San Leandro.

Tom Daly is in Auburn- fantastic. His son in law Alan Eagleton World class shooter is S of there. There are a few more really good shooters in that area but I’m drawing a blank as I havent shot with them in a couple years.

Last edited: