COAL issues

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So, I recently purchased a used Savage 116 in .270 WSM. I've just started shooting and developing loads, and have run into an issue that's got me a little perplexed. I used the Hornady OAL gauge to get the max seating depth. However, I find that the measurement is below book. Going off memory here, so these numbers aren't exact.

With a 130 SP I get an OAL of about 2.750. The book is something like 2.8xx. I had a box of factory loads that was 2.765. I shot these to sight in the gun before measuring for reloads. There was no issue with firing the factory loads and it was quite accurate - sub MOA.

I did load some right at my measured max of 2.745, and they were also sub MOA. However, some of them were tough to chamber as well as extract.

I'm really having a hard time figuring why my measured max would be lower than book. It's actually deep enough that the cannelure on the bullet is below the neck of the casing. It just can't be right.

OP
M

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reminder on the case length. I forgot to double check that as I was in a hurry to get it sighted in. I'll check that next for the tough ones.

I don't mind having a gunsmith work on it, but I still don't understand why I might be getting the short readings. Would it ever be normal for a factory rifle to have a COL that's under book?

Take-a-knee

Banned
I'd reccomend getting an RCBS Precision MIC or better yet, a case-datum tool from Whidden and make sure your fired cases aren't way shorter than they should be. Not talking necks here, casehead to shoulder length. Maybe Salvage screwed the barrel on too tight.