Coating the feet of Wiggys waders?

If your going to deal with water daily in multiple locations bring wading pants. If you need them for one creek crossing a day bring the wiggys.

If the only way to hunt is to get across creeks and you will absolutely need to cross it I would bring waders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Anyone try these over the wiggy's?

Last edited:
I dont think those would be a good alternative. Probably weigh more then wiggys and looks like the only cover half your boot. Any good hunting boot should be able to go through water that deep with out that big of an issue. I have used my wiggys once to cross 2 creeks on our hike up to the mountains. They were about knee deep. Ment for quick creek crossings not alder bashing through muskeg all day.

Htm84

WKR
I dont think those would be a good alternative. Probably weigh more then wiggys and looks like the only cover half your boot. Any good hunting boot should be able to go through water that deep with out that big of an issue. I have used my wiggys once to cross 2 creeks on our hike up to the mountains. They were about knee deep. Ment for quick creek crossings not alder bashing through muskeg all day.

Although I’m not 100 percent sure, I think he’s implying to use those over the wiggys as a way to extend the life of the wiggys soles. It would probably work but when your bringing boots for your boots boots, I might rethink my approach to the problem.

TSAMP

WKR
I just want to go on one 9 day Caribou hunt
I had hip waders for around camp and fishing. Mtn boots with gaiters for hunting, and wiggys for approx 5 or 6 water crossings over a 9 day caribou hunt. Mine never got damaged but I was mindful where I crossed, mostly rocky area. My boots eventually soaked through but I had a pair of waterproof socks as my backup which got used a day or Two when the boots froze overnight.

Although I’m not 100 percent sure, I think he’s implying to use those over the wiggys as a way to extend the life of the wiggys soles. It would probably work but when your bringing boots for your boots boots, I might rethink my approach to the problem.
You are correct. Context in forums can be hard haha

IF.....

If you don't need to wear waders constantly, and if your basic need is to cross the occasional stream or wet area, here is my advice. Bring Wiggy's, and try to get a pair made of the heavier black nylon fabric. Be SURE to bring a couple tubes of Aqua Seal or similar, plus a bit of fabric to patch with if needed. From experience I don't recommend Tenacious Tape or other prepared patches, mainly because leaks sometimes occur at seams or other irregular areas which are tough to seal.

With Wiggy's and the above repair kit you should be good to go. Just take a bit of caution when wearing the waders and try not to abuse them. I've been doing this successfully for moose in Alaska for many years and water is just part of the deal on moose hunts.

I have no experience with these waders but if a guy was packing crocs for camp shoes you could just use those over them. Might need to fashion a better strap for the back with bungee or paracord though. My buddy used to use kg boot guard on his work boots and it seemed like it worked out great for him. It says that it also bonds to cordura rubber etc…http://www.kgsbootguard.com/fnimall/boot_guard.phtml

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of lightly used elimitrax I use to get to my whitetail stands. Anybody use these?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The OLD version of the Wiggys slip over waders are very easy to tear. A year or two ago I bought a new pair that must be "version 2.0". They are are black, not quite as light as the original, but they are much more durable and with a heavier-duty boot.

The OLD version of the Wiggys slip over waders are very easy to tear. A year or two ago I bought a new pair that must be "version 2.0". They are are black, not quite as light as the original, but they are much more durable and with a heavier-duty boot.
This exactly.

I've owned Wiggy's Waders made of a lighter coyote brown nylon. They were simply next to junk for me. On the durability scale they rated somewhere between paper towels and plastic grocery bags. Any time I called Wiggy's to discuss a tear or leak I got the same puffed-up attitude: "Our waders don't leak period. You must have really abused them". If you consider wearing them to cross a 10 yard wide knee-deep creek with rounded stones underfoot as abusive, then what can I say? The black ones are indeed stouter.

I have a friend who did add Shoe Goo to the bottoms and lower seams. He said it helped a lot but did make them a bit harder to compact and stuff in a carry bag.

chucko

FNG
I used flex seal on mine and I am one who likes them be careful and quick great for sheep hunts and for caribou sometimes you have to move fast so they slide on and off quick

dtrkyman

WKR
The 3m Marine 5200 fast cure is bomb proof! Only thing I could get to actually water proof a couple pair of waders with small leaks. The wader themselves will fail long before the 5200, you could bring a tube of it in the field and make repairs.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I agree about the 5200. It is a bugger to work with but that stuff is amazing. Just don't use it anywhere that may need removed!