Coffee & Shooting

CJohnson

WKR
The only way coffee would negatively affect my shooting is if I had to perform said shooting prior to my morning coffee-induced bathroom trip.

Funny you mention your intake went up after Covid hit - I went the other way. I started noticing how anxious I was after drinking coffee(and this is after having it daily for 10+ years, in the later times I was drinking a pot a day). I ended up quitting cold turkey - yep it sucked for a few days, but it’s so nice not needing to drink coffee in the mornings - ESPECIALLY while out hunting. Not to mention my energy levels have really went up... before I felt tired all day long, after I quit I feel like I have endless energy.

Everyone’s body is different. From my experience I’d recommend quitting.

StillBald

FNG
I used to shoot competitive long range (600 to 1000 yards) at the national level. Caffeine intake even a day before has a noticeable impact on shooting performance.

I used to train with a laser system (laser strapped to the end of the gun, tracked so closely by a computer that you could easily pick up your heartbeat in the gun movements-- saved on ammo and you could practice in your basement) and visually, from behind the rifle, I could not tell a difference between if I had caffeine in my system or not. However, my tracked movements on the computer were a different story. I went from having a tight little knot of gun movement (no caffeine) to the mark of Zorro across the target. This was noticeable even if it was a single soda the day before.

Mostly because of that, I have avoided caffeine when possible for the past 15ish years-- and especially if I have any plans to shoot or hunt any time int he next few days.

Wrench

WKR
If I don't have my coffee someone is getting shot. That's quite the effect on my shooting.