Coffee !!!!!

I stay with VIA because.....

1. It's taste is very acceptable to me.
2. It weighs nothing, even enough for 12 days.
3. No mess. No wet grinds or filter after. No cleanup.
4. I haven't seen enough benefit in doing my coffee any other way.

Mitch291

FNG
I use the dark timber bags worked good on last years Colorado elk hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Black rifle coffee insta sticks are legit.. last year I truck camped and was able to drop a hazelnut creamer in. I don’t know if it was the atmosphere the bulls screaming in the dark or what, but it was legit the best cup of coffee I’d ever had.

I think I may have said this earlier in the thread. Cant remember

But you can buy the little tea bags empty on Amazon.
I'm gonna make my own tea bag style with black rifle.

I wouldn't consider myself a coffee snob but I seriously can't stand instant. I've tried Starbucks, Folgers, etc. I recently picked up a GSI Coffee Rocket and GSI Infinity Backpackers Mug, the Coffee Rocket nests inside the mug and the whole kit weighs 6.2 ounces. It makes a legit cup of pour over coffee in less than 2 minutes.

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody used the Espro Travel Press. Reasonable weight at 10oz for a press you can also drink from and seals up tight for a hot coffee later.

I have this...or whatever their lightest version is. It's one of the better travel presses I've had (I've got a cupboard full for work) And while people may call BS, it actually keeps my coffee hotter longer than both of my non press travel mugs (yeti and hydro flask). And the double filter, along with the option to add a paper filter in between makes it kinda customizable to how oily you like your coffee.

I make seperate coffee packs in a ziplock and add a scoop of Laird's superfood for creamer/flavor to each and just brew it all together with some boiled water from the pocket rocket.

I bought mine off Amazon, highly recommend.

Scogin

FNG
Tried the Alpine Start instant and it was weak and had poor flavor. I am looking for the next one to try.

TX_Diver

WKR
Black rifle coffee insta sticks are legit.. last year I truck camped and was able to drop a hazelnut creamer in. I don’t know if it was the atmosphere the bulls screaming in the dark or what, but it was legit the best cup of coffee I’d ever had.

That's what I'm taking this year.

work765

WKR
I’ve been eating these bars recently and they’ll definitely be going with me this year.
You get a coffee pickup and not that cracked out feeling like those other bars.

2929bf3e1cbc8508812097c3fc1de896.jpg

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
My parent's have only made Folgers when I was growin up, I like their instant packs in the woods

I use a mini backpackers espresso maker a girlfriend bought me years ago. When she first gave it to me I thought great another backpacking gimmick. But this thing is great for us coffee snobs. It takes one to two minutes to brew a shot which you can drink straight or put in a cup water for coffee. Best part you use whatever coffee you want. It’s been in my pack for almost twenty years now.

stump06

WKR

I use this and put instant coffee, creamer and sweetener in one packet and they work really well. If I have more room such as car camping, I'll do cowboy coffee.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm going to use these instant sticks from Black Rifle Coffee Company.
https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/instant-coffee

Those of you interested in a legitimate cup of coffee (probably already know this) should check out some of the collapsible pour overs.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/equipment/products/collapsible-brcc-pour-over-device

GSI makes one too.

An aeropress is pretty light and compact and makes a great cup of coffee.
https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/equipment/products/aeropress-coffee-maker

I usually use via or go with fresh coffee using the GSI pourover setup:
Ultralight Java Drip

The gsi is light enough that on long trips I'll bring it and 2-3 cups worth of fresh grounds, and via for the rest; if i'm feeling haggard, or have meat hanging I'll brew up a real cup as a treat.

Lots of climbing folks love alpine start instant (I haven't tried it yet): AlpineStartFood | Alpine Start Premium Instant Coffee

If I'm going stoveless in the AM to get out the door faster I'll mix via iced coffee with cafe latte flavored Hammer Perpetuem for a morning shake that kind of tastes like a milkshake and will help me get the calories down while I'm hiking in the dark.

I hadn't heard of Hammer Perpetuem...just looked it up. Mixing that with a via latte sounds like a good option.

I wonder if an instant coffee or 2 would go well with Green Belly's Mud Meal in vanilla. Not really a performance supplement but still an easy, high calorie start to your day. I've never done a liquid breakfast before, which makes getting going that much harder when it's cold...either wait for breakfast to warm up or chew through something half frozen and full of granola. Caffeine + portable may be the ticket.

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone tried the Tioga Rise coffee yet?
Yes. It makes a good cup. And can be mixed with cold water.

I roast my own coffee beans at home so I'm usually a little particular about coffee but when hunting I'm less particular and more concerned with convenience.
9f0101f3286da7b8f1b796d374a1e148.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk