Coffee !!!!!

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
I met one of the Tioga Coffee guys this past year at ATA. I believe they were setup in the innovation section. I tried the coffee. I would say it is the best instant coffee out there. No funny after taste either. More than likely I will being Tioga and some fresh ground coffee to press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I will also give my recommendation for Tioga Rise. It's delicious and I don't feel bad about burning the paper packages they come in. Keeps waste to a minimum when you're out there.

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
Dark timber vapor packs

These are delicious as well but I think of them as a fancy hot chocolate. For those that want “just coffee” they are not a good choice.

Dark Timber also has Ascent Packs which are filter bags full of coffee. I found it difficult to get a strong cup with these. I found that the bag rips easily too if you try to extract more out like a tea bag.

The Gravity Pack is their best option if you are looking for just plain coffee. It’s basically a make-shift pour-over filter. I thought the coffee was flavorful and the filter was sturdy. You need a taller cup, otherwise your coffee rises up to meet your filter.
c48e5f63c7d0623db402facd095ee196.jpg

These are delicious as well but I think of them as a fancy hot chocolate. For those that want “just coffee” they are not a good choice.

Dark Timber also has Ascent Packs which are filter bags full of coffee. I found it difficult to get a strong cup with these. I found that the bag rips easily too if you try to extract more out like a tea bag.

The Gravity Pack is their best option if you are looking for just plain coffee. It’s basically a make-shift pour-over filter. I thought the coffee was flavorful and the filter was sturdy. You need a taller cup, otherwise your coffee rises up to meet your filter.
c48e5f63c7d0623db402facd095ee196.jpg

Agree with all your conclusions except that with the Ascent pack, I would be interested to know how much time and water you're using.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with all your conclusions except that with the Ascent pack, I would be interested to know how much time and water you're using.

I use approximately 8 oz. Let it sit for about 3 minutes. I think I need to use about 6 oz to get The right flavor for me. I wish the filter was tougher. Every time I squeeze it, it rips.

I use approximately 8 oz. Let it sit for about 3 minutes. I think I need to use about 6 oz to get The right flavor for me. I wish the filter was tougher. Every time I squeeze it, it rips.

The other component that may be hurting you is temperature. If brewing vessel loses too much heat during brew, less extraction happens. If your stove has a simmer setting to keep water warm while brewing that might do it. Or if you're brewing in a cup you could try brewing in the pot before heat gets lost to the cup.

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
The other component that may be hurting you is temperature. If brewing vessel loses too much heat during brew, less extraction happens. If your stove has a simmer setting to keep water warm while brewing that might do it. Or if you're brewing in a cup you could try brewing in the pot before heat gets lost to the cup.

Thanks for the insight. I’m going to take the remaining ascent packs I have but will be mostly relying on Tioga Rise. Good luck to you this season!

Ww874

FNG
Starbucks Via although I must admit I don't like the company and gonna give the black rifle a try

Thanks for the insight. I’m going to take the remaining ascent packs I have but will be mostly relying on Tioga Rise. Good luck to you this season!

No problem! Brew temp, brew time, and water to coffee ratio are all directly proportional to the amount of extraction that occurs. Grind size is inversely proportional, but you don't have control over that here You can use whichever variables you find practical to manipulate to control extraction level.

One more piece of advice: the rule of thumb for coffee to water ratio is 1:16. If you can find out how much coffee is in a packet that tells you how much water you should use. For immersion brewing (meaning the coffee is in contact with the water for the whole brew as opposed to a drip machine or pourover) 4 minutes usually works well, assuming the grind is right, when the water is just off boil.

Good luck with your season as well, and more importantly, with the coffee.

I like a packet of nescafe tasters choice and a packet of the instant cafe bustelo. The two together make a nice little froth and a decent flavor profile but if you're caffeine sensitive I'd maybe split that between 2 or more people. I'm not and like enough Im going away from my french press to this mixture since it's so much less work and less to bring with but to each their own.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I've been trying tons of different instant coffees over the past year. I'm not getting into the pour over coffee or diy coffee bag stuff. Just straight instant.

Trader Joe's Instant 100% Colombian is by far the best I've tried. It's $4 where I am for 3.5 oz. It's a whole jar for $4 !!

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I've got some BRCC instant sticks I got for free. Kinda smell like dirt but it taste like coffee. Needs a little powdered creamer/sugar though to make it a little nicer to drink, I'm still working on that bit. Anyone have any suggestions?

I drink real coffee black but I prefer this stuff touched up.

oddtiger

FNG
Starbucks via, or just trader Joe's instant coffee packets, which are not as good but insanely cheap