Cohutta WMA Dec Firearms Hunt

Vethunter

FNG
Hows it going folks,

Figured I would post here and gauge to see if anyone that may be already planning to attend this hunt in particular or possibly someone or a group potentially that may be interested in attending this hunt on Cohutta WMA in Dec for the firearms hunt?

I am very familiar with the general area however this will be my 1st official trip to the big North Ga mountains for hunting related purposes. As it stands now I plan to spend 4 full days of hunting and will be packing into the wma to live out of my pack for said duration in hopes of being able to be mobile and cover as much ground as necessary in efforts of finding possible success in what i know is an area with a very sparse and limited deer population.

If this sounds like something of interest ro anyone or if anyone is going solo as it stands that may potentially want to partner up please feel free to reach out. I intend to hunt it as hard as my body will allow me to. As far as conditioning i believe I am in solid enough shape to navigate the rough and ruggid steep terrain that is Cohutta.

Howdy, we should definitely connect. I don't really firearm hunt, but I do hunt the N GA mountains a good bit.

Do you live in GA? I am in Cumming.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Howdy, we should definitely connect. I don't really firearm hunt, but I do hunt the N GA mountains a good bit.

Do you live in GA? I am in Cumming.

Yes sir I live In Paulding County near Atlanta area. Have fished the general areas trout streams numerous times over the years however looking to finally dive in while I am still capable of meeting the challenge that is the terrain of Cohutta and the North Ga mountains.

mooster

WKR
Im S of you in Macon. Have been to Cohutta a few times. Tons of pigs & bears. Hardest part for me is the blow downs from the fire a few years ago makes some places very tough to hunt.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I was just there last weekend hunting bear. My buddy connected in the first 30 minutes of Saturday morning. Was a good time. If I was going to be in GA in December I’d probably be up there a couple times.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Im S of you in Macon. Have been to Cohutta a few times. Tons of pigs & bears. Hardest part for me is the blow downs from the fire a few years ago makes some places very tough to hunt.
Yes sir it is a challenge logistically navigating that terrain. Makes you appreciate the flat land in mid to south Ga lol. That's what to me is oart of what sets it apart and part of the allure about the place. Not every tom, dick, and harry are as eager to beet feet up in them mountains because they will surely make you pay and earn every step taken. But guaranteed if you stsy the course and push through there really is no telling when you consider some areas up there that are so renote in the sense when it comes to accessibility of what you might encounter potentially on the backside of that tucked away ridge series that is just plum peppered with debris and blowdowns.

I know when I hunted Idaho in the mountain country the mountains we had to climb straight up with no relief in sight until you made it to the absolute peaks, most of the way was spent on all 4s hands and knees. Cousin and I eventually ended up tying off 1 to another and leap frogging our way up anchoring for 1 another. Movements at best taking around an average of 6 hrs to scale to peak from valley level. And going down was well you guess it straight the heck down. Riding the breaks all the way to bottom riding on our hinds end just going with gravity praying to catch every 15 ft or so to keep momentum to a minimum. Lot of blowdowns and deadfall as well. Trees falling constantly all around made for quite the jittery and anxious nights sleep listening to the creaking of the dead trees before they eventually would fall to the ground sounding like fireworks as they would shatter into sections on impact.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
I was just there last weekend hunting bear. My buddy connected in the first 30 minutes of Saturday morning. Was a good time. If I was going to be in GA in December I’d probably be up there a couple times.
Congratulations on a successful hunt. What was yalls tactics if I might ask. Set up in specific locations hunting from ground, stand hunting, or spot n stalk?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a successful hunt. What was yalls tactics if I might ask. Set up in specific locations hunting from ground, stand hunting, or spot n stalk

We still hunted along the ridges. There was a decent amount of acorns it seemed but I wouldn’t say a lot. I don’t know what food source they will be on come December but if you can figure that out you would likely be able to find a bear.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Yea that's going to be my main point of focus finding fresh signs of feeding or food sources potentially at that time in the season. Expect most of the acorns on the ground by then to be eaten up by then so just going to send it and use basically same strategy get away from the crowds find the nasty accessible areas and start there.

Floridave

FNG
I don’t have enough posts to send a PM but I’ll be there doing about the same as you. PM me if you can. I am also going to be doing a 4-5 day trip in November just scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
I don’t have enough posts to send a PM but I’ll be there doing about the same as you. PM me if you can. I am also going to be doing a 4-5 day trip in November just scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent you a pm Dave.