Cold Bore Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Some of you crossover guys might know about the archery cold bow challenge. It would be fun to see a rifle version!

Went out yesterday and set up my 10” gong at 703 yards. Got a solid first round impact, then went to 100 to finish some load development with a different bullet.

I wonder if any of the awesome rifle sponsors on here would be willing to kick in some small prizes to get this going? @robby denning , I know these contests take a lot of work and time, but just a thought.

***edit to add link to official 2023 thread***

2023 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you crossover guys might know about the archery cold bow challenge. It would be fun to see a rifle version!

Went out yesterday and set up my 10” gong at 703 yards. Got a solid first round impact, then went to 100 to finish some load development with a different bullet.

I wonder if any of the awesome rifle sponsors on here would be willing to kick in some small prizes to get this going? @robby denning , I know these contests take a lot of work and time, but just a thought.

I think it would be a great idea. But I’m buried with the cold bow so I can’t take on another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think it would be a great idea. But I’m buried with the cold bow so I can’t take on another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe down the road! It would go a long way toward showing true MER, just like the cold bow challenge. @Formidilosus , I think this is about as close as someone can get to putting a number on max effective range. A little bit of stress, a single shot, environmental conditions changing every trip, etc.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea and we've talked about it for that past few years. The problem is very few people would be able to complete it in a timely manner. I typically drive at least an hour to get to my summer shooting spot and two or more hours in the winter.

No way I'm going to do that and only shoot one round per day.

sndmn11

WKR
Shoot your one cold bore shot at your self determined max effective range. Have a snack and a nap. Then do from this thread

100 Yard Hunting Rifle Test

Print out one each of these targets and post them up at 100 yards. This works best if you are using a setup that can be zeroed dead on at 100, however if you zero at a different range (200, 300, etc) is that zero as it will show using hold unders for hitting realistic targets. Each string starts standing with all equipment in hand or on body, I.E.- wearing pack, hiking sticks in hand, etc. If you carry empty chamber- all strings start with empty chamber.

DO IT EXACTLY HOW YOU CARRY WHILE HUNTING!
(They need to be printed out at 100% scale, and then they are still in shooter MOA, not true MOA). All shot at 100 yards.

STRING 1: No time limits.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand
5MOA = 2 shots sitting unsupported
3MOA = 2 shots sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack
2MOA = 2 shots prone (can use a pack, but no rear bag, no bipod)

STRING 2: Is a repeat of string one, but with a 20 second par time. I set a timer on my phone, if the shot isn't taken BEFORE the buzzer, it doesn't count.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand in 20 seconds
5MOA = 2 shots sitting unsupported in 20 seconds
3MOA = 2 shots sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack in 20 seconds
2MOA = 2 shots prone in 15 seconds (can use pack, but no bipod and no rear bag)

STRING 3: is a "medley". One shot from each position, with a 60 second par time.

60 seconds to go fromstanding with all gear strapped in, to-

7MOA = 1 shot offhand
5MOA = 1 shot sitting unsupported
3MOA = 1 shot sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack
2MOA = 1 shot prone (can use pack, but no bipod and no rear bag)

It's scored out of 20. A decent score is in the 15/20 range, 17 to 18 should be the goal for the first year. It’s an excellent diagnostic tool as well as a great way to practice, and has a high correlation to performance with spot and stalk hunting shots.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot your one cold bore shot at your self determined max effective range. Have a snack and a nap. Then do from this thread

100 Yard Hunting Rifle Test

Print out one each of these targets and post them up at 100 yards. This works best if you are using a setup that can be zeroed dead on at 100, however if you zero at a different range (200, 300, etc) is that zero as it will show using hold unders for hitting realistic targets. Each string starts standing with all equipment in hand or on body, I.E.- wearing pack, hiking sticks in hand, etc. If you carry empty chamber- all strings start with empty chamber.

DO IT EXACTLY HOW YOU CARRY WHILE HUNTING!
(They need to be printed out at 100% scale, and then they are still in shooter MOA, not true MOA). All shot at 100 yards.

STRING 1: No time limits.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand
5MOA = 2 shots sitting unsupported
3MOA = 2 shots sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack
2MOA = 2 shots prone (can use a pack, but no rear bag, no bipod)

STRING 2: Is a repeat of string one, but with a 20 second par time. I set a timer on my phone, if the shot isn't taken BEFORE the buzzer, it doesn't count.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand in 20 seconds
5MOA = 2 shots sitting unsupported in 20 seconds
3MOA = 2 shots sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack in 20 seconds
2MOA = 2 shots prone in 15 seconds (can use pack, but no bipod and no rear bag)

STRING 3: is a "medley". One shot from each position, with a 60 second par time.

60 seconds to go fromstanding with all gear strapped in, to-

7MOA = 1 shot offhand
5MOA = 1 shot sitting unsupported
3MOA = 1 shot sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack
2MOA = 1 shot prone (can use pack, but no bipod and no rear bag)

It's scored out of 20. A decent score is in the 15/20 range, 17 to 18 should be the goal for the first year. It’s an excellent diagnostic tool as well as a great way to practice, and has a high correlation to performance with spot and stalk hunting shots.
That test is great to challenge yourself I think but I very rarely ever shoot unsupported now days. I'm pretty much always prone or sitting behind my tripod. And I always carry a rear bag.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had similar thoughts. I think it would be easy to tweak. Extend the time and don’t prohibit shooting in between. First shot counts.
Time-line is an very important aspect for oversight of any challenge. Needs multiple shots which is multiple days and few have extended range in close proximity. Also there's the question of stardardized target sizing and lastly how to verify the results.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cold Bore Challenge, not Cold Bore Easy 👹🙊👹
My point is that doesn't simulate shots I take while hunting. I'm not saying it wouldn't be very challenging and also fun and helpful.

Here's an example of what I mean.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand in 20 seconds. If hunting, I would go prone or sit and shoot off a backpack or tripod. I can't remember the last time I shot standing, offhand.
5MOA = 2 shots sitting unsupported in 20 seconds. I'm assuming this is resting on a knee which I do but rarely since I'm more likely to shoot prone, off the backpack, or off tripod.
3MOA = 2 shots sitting or keeling with sticks or backpack in 20 seconds. This is a good one.
2MOA = 2 shots prone in 15 seconds (can use pack, but no bipod and no rear bag) Nothing wrong if someone prefers to shoot off a backpack but I always have a bipod and rear bag so I don't see a reason I wouldn't use them hunting.

There is likely value in practicing all those shots even if it's not how I hunt just to be a better all-around marksman. I'm not knocking the test at all.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Time-line is an very important aspect for oversight of any challenge. Needs multiple shots which is multiple days and few have extended range in close proximity. Also there's the question of stardardized target sizing and lastly how to verify the results.

Same as archery challenge we do. Pick your MER, pick your target size, usually vital sized. It’s more for fun than anything. And helps put a little pressure on the shot since you only get one and it’s the first shot.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same as archery challenge we do. Pick your MER, pick your target size, usually vital sized. It’s more for fun than anything. And helps put a little pressure on the shot since you only get one and it’s the first shot.
As @Justin Crossley stated, it's an idea that's been floated around for the last couple years. Ultimately there's not an overly convenient way to do. If it's a Rokslide sanctioned event the administrative details are a top consideration. Followed closely by ensuring its enticing to a large percentage of the membership here.

The archery challenge doesn't just come together its a huge undertaking that requires the efforts from the majority of Rokslide staff.

In other words it needs to fit a time period where it's beneficial to participants and where there's enough availible time for the staff to provide adequate over sight of the challenge. That leaves a very narrow window.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We have talked about this a few times. But like stated above it's a huge time suck. I actually did a few tests last year. It almost has to be on video which is a problem for some. There also has to be a size standard that everyone can get , like a gallon size milk carton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree with what the Rokslide Admin/Mods are saying that doing this would be very difficult. Something that could work is the KRAFT challenge. This is a drill/target test that a shooter on the competitive side has designed to improve in multiple precision shooting criteria. He then has created a website to track and compare data from other shooters proving that this can be an analytical and trackable method of improving the fundamentals of shooting which then ALWAYS carries over to any shooting discipline.

The cool part of this test is for those that want to test archaic shooting methods like offhand can do so, which then they will see maybe utilizing modern equipment and methods will correlate to kill efficiency. Shooting paper at 100 yards is a great way of training at distance. And will show your weaknesses. Plus everyone can shoot / train at 100 yards, whereas not everyone can shoot steel at distance.

Just a thought and maybe encourage this trial/competition XLR will throw down a prize or maybe multiple for the victors at the end of said determined period. 🏆

In all seriousness, the joke or jab at offhand shooting is just a joke. We all know that being prepared for a quick offhand shot is important and any hunter should be ready. But as Justin stated most hunting tactics help prevent this from happening and more importantly better ways of showing one's marksmanship in multiple positions. One can use tables, tripods, backpacks, etc. for different heights. Maybe we can put a Rokslide twist on this like the following for example.
- Prone must be off a bipod or resting the rifle on a backpack.
- Sitting the shooter can use a backpack standing upright, a tripod, or a seat of a chair?
- Kneeling the shooter can use a backpack, tripod, lower rung of a ladder?
- Standing shooter can use a tripod, higher rung, or ladder.
If you YouTube the Rifle Kraft Challenge you will see examples of shooters utilizing different support systems to shoot at these heights. Some may be more stable than others but the point is getting efficient at building positions in a timely manner (hunting scenario) and seeing where you might be getting a POI shift in said positions. Become comfortable with the uncomfortable!!

Shooters have been comparing these target tests on other Forums, social media, and it has even become a standard test for many shooting instructors. Might not seem as fun as hitting steel at distance, but will absolutely test your skills, and allow you to see progress if done correctly. Plus videoing yourself shooting will show you flaws, and if someone is cheating on the target by just shooting it all prone then their loss on this, and they probably never kill shit anyways 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• TestGroup Diamond Target.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 31

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree with what the Rokslide Admin/Mods are saying that doing this would be very difficult. Something that could work is the KRAFT challenge. This is a drill/target test that a shooter on the competitive side has designed to improve in multiple precision shooting criteria. He then has created a website to track and compare data from other shooters proving that this can be an analytical and trackable method of improving the fundamentals of shooting which then ALWAYS carries over to any shooting discipline.

The cool part of this test is for those that want to test archaic shooting methods like offhand can do so, which then they will see maybe utilizing modern equipment and methods will correlate to kill efficiency. Shooting paper at 100 yards is a great way of training at distance. And will show your weaknesses. Plus everyone can shoot / train at 100 yards, whereas not everyone can shoot steel at distance.

Just a thought and maybe encourage this trial/competition XLR will throw down a prize or maybe multiple for the victors at the end of said determined period. 🏆

In all seriousness, the joke or jab at offhand shooting is just a joke. We all know that being prepared for a quick offhand shot is important and any hunter should be ready. But as Justin stated most hunting tactics help prevent this from happening and more importantly better ways of showing one's marksmanship in multiple positions. One can use tables, tripods, backpacks, etc. for different heights. Maybe we can put a Rokslide twist on this like the following for example.
- Prone must be off a bipod or resting the rifle on a backpack.
- Sitting the shooter can use a backpack standing upright, a tripod, or a seat of a chair?
- Kneeling the shooter can use a backpack, tripod, lower rung of a ladder?
- Standing shooter can use a tripod, higher rung, or ladder.
If you YouTube the Rifle Kraft Challenge you will see examples of shooters utilizing different support systems to shoot at these heights. Some may be more stable than others but the point is getting efficient at building positions in a timely manner (hunting scenario) and seeing where you might be getting a POI shift in said positions. Become comfortable with the uncomfortable!!

Shooters have been comparing these target tests on other Forums, social media, and it has even become a standard test for many shooting instructors. Might not seem as fun as hitting steel at distance, but will absolutely test your skills, and allow you to see progress if done correctly. Plus videoing yourself shooting will show you flaws, and if someone is cheating on the target by just shooting it all prone then their loss on this, and they probably never kill shit anyways 🤷‍♂️
He’s got an updated target but I’d agree this would be a really good way to go about it. 100 yd paper about everyone has access to reasonably.

I also like how you can adapt his drill to your style of hunting/shooting.

I wouldn’t mind trying to win a xlr chassis…..

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been thinking about this challenge some more, and actually had a few sponsors reach out to me. I do like the Kraft Challenge and I also like Forms drill. But If we are going to do it I want distance to be a factor. The snow is melting and I will be shooting in the mountains more over the next few weeks. I don't see why we can't make something happen.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have been thinking about this challenge some more, and actually had a few sponsors reach out to me. I do like the Kraft Challenge and I also like Forms drill. But If we are going to do it I want distance to be a factor. The snow is melting and I will be shooting in the mountains more over the next few weeks. I don't see why we can't make something happen.
@Ryan Avery hell yes, let’s go! I bet there are a bunch of sponsors that would want to get behind this!

Do I get to be an honorary captain or something for the idea of the day?! 😉

I like the distance idea, it could be under the long range deal even. Not much fun at 300 yards. Could do it a few way, identical to cold bow challenge, or it could be round robin. 100 yard standing, 200 yard kneeling, 800 yard prone or some variation.

Also, it’s a drive for most of us to get to a range we can shoot distance so either the time frame gets extended or the number of trips diminished or both!

I'd love to do this. But I would have to set my steel up at the 800 yard area I frequent and leave it there, hoping no one steals it. No way I can hike into the hills each time to set it up and take it down. Now if we are able to shoot rocks, I could do that. It's what I usually shoot at anyway.

Lawnboi

WKR
All Iv got is 400 yards within a few hours. Wish I had more. If I want to field shoot at long range I have to haul my ass to some South Dakota BLM

All Iv got is 400 yards within a few hours. Wish I had more. If I want to field shoot at long range I have to haul my ass to some South Dakota BLM
Even though it's only 15 minutes from my house, the set up, trar down , load and unload would be a logistical cost I would need to factor in, as would everyone who doesnt shoot out their back door. But even iu=in the cold bow shoot, not everyone has a back yard that offers the luxury. These chsllenges are not for everyone. But they are cool challenges and offer our sponsors opportunity to rep their brand as give aways. I may have to break out the 6.5 CM for this as it is deadly past 1000. But, personally I wouldn't hunt with it. It would be interesting to see what rules they come up with. Maybe it doesn't need to be 7 days in a row. Maybe one day or 3 or 5 in a 30 day period. That would give us every weekend for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.