Cold Bore Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m not pushing the Kraft as the only way. I also have easy/quick access to 1,000 yards and shoot that regularly. I just think it would be cool if there was a component of this that helped people get better regardless of if they participate in the actual thread or not. And if you’re not heavily invested in shooting paper at 100 - 300 yards, you’re doing an enormous disservice to yourself.

Having fun isn’t going to be an obstacle here. Pretty much anything shooting related is fun - bolt guns, carbines, pistols, shotguns, squirt guns, lawn darts……Bragging threads are cool too, but they aren’t helping anyone - so again, what’s the intent?

As for sponsors and free stuff - who cares. Anyone that’s even a little into this sport is going to have spare rings, bipods, triggers, stocks, scopes, blah blah blah. Honestly, and I’m probably in the minority, but I’d rather there not be any free stuff at all. Promote a process to make people successful in the field - and that process does not involve guess-and-check, arbitrary sized targets at arbitrary distances in random conditions with arbitrary gear restrictions/requirements.
I think people are seeing this in 2 different ways.

1. Similar to cold bow challenge, shooting at a predetermined MER, noting the weather at the time, and posting your results in a simulated hunting type situation, 1 shot a day, etc. this isn’t a training course or practice, it’s a way to see if your MER is actually your MER.

2. A practice scenario to help increase MER.

Which way we go is up to Ryan, but if it’s going to be the cold bow challenge in rifle form, then it’s option 1.

Clarktar

WKR
This is why it's so difficult. I shoot paper all the time but also can shoot in several different mountain spots in less than 30 Minutes with different wind and conditions daily. So I see how flawed this can be for a MER, Shooting paper is great for reps, fundamentals, and finding your positional weaknesses but doesn't tell me jack about my real MER in the mountains. Then factor in 60% of my shot on animals in the past ten years are in the prone and 40% are sitting and shooting off my pack or tripod. A lot more variables than the archery folks.
Except the Better Lucky Than Good buck? That was standing supported by tree IIRC.

Just heckling you a bit!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TK-421

FNG
I think people are seeing this in 2 different ways.

1. Similar to cold bow challenge, shooting at a predetermined MER, noting the weather at the time, and posting your results in a simulated hunting type situation, 1 shot a day, etc. this isn’t a training course or practice, it’s a way to see if your MER is actually your MER.

2. A practice scenario to help increase MER.

Which way we go is up to Ryan, but if it’s going to be the cold bow challenge in rifle form, then it’s option 1.
Maybe for some. For me, I was thinking a 2-part entry would make sense as it would require people to back-up their “at distance” shot with data, show that a hit at distance was more than playing probabilities, and also help to give context to those not participating.

In my mind, the goal should be knowing your MER. To know your MER means you gotta be able to prove it with data - not feelings, and not random guess & check. So at a minimum, you need to prove/show your consistency as a shooter, which is done at 100 yards. The 12 build and breaks of the Kraft show this in a couple minutes at a range accessible to pretty much everyone (but it’s not the only way to skin this cat).

Then take a shot at distance using your established baseline.

Lawnboi

WKR
Maybe for some. For me, I was thinking a 2-part entry would make sense as it would require people to back-up their “at distance” shot with data, show that a hit at distance was more than playing probabilities, and also help to give context to those not participating.

In my mind, the goal should be knowing your MER. To know your MER means you gotta be able to prove it with data - not feelings, and not random guess & check. So at a minimum, you need to prove/show your consistency as a shooter, which is done at 100 yards. The 12 build and breaks of the Kraft show this in a couple minutes at a range accessible to pretty much everyone (but it’s not the only way to skin this cat).

Then take a shot at distance using your established baseline.
I bet if this is done a lot of people will find out that more than wind is screwing them. Also gives people a logical approach at their mer, and at the same time allows you to learn your gear.

If it was as simple as doing the cold bow, it would be done already.

I'm up for trying something.

I ain't known for my rifle skills, but might be good for me to try something. I consider my mer about 400 yards, it wouldn’t be hard for me to shoot to 650 or so tho.

I might not be the guy for the challenge tho, but figured I'd chime in about it since I have been following. Interested to see what it ends up being.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ryan Avery any movement on this? Warm, spring weather is here!

Heading out tomorrow, first day the wind has been blowing 20 Plus in a long time! Sighting in a trainer rifle and starting load development.

Attachments

• F4A95F59-F8F8-4F78-B323-C17B43892E07.jpeg
    F4A95F59-F8F8-4F78-B323-C17B43892E07.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 41

lak2004

WKR
I got bullets made!
Going to switch to LRX and got some of those ready for development.
39f3809e07b54d4d17da88835f01a2c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I like this. I may play with my 6.5PRC. I am developed and truing up kestrel now. I would be ready by 15/05.

roperking

FNG
If you guys are interested in a competition that tests your shooting ability in practical situations, check out the NRL Hunter matches. I have shot some and they are super fun and very different from the PRS matches that I normally shoot. They are very practical and require you to have your gear squared away. It is a great opportunity to test your limits and refine your gear.

I think the OP’s original idea is a great side stage for sight-in day at a match.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Shot something like that for years. 1 shot only, 1 minute max, 1 target minimum 500m (550 yds).
Simple test to set up, easy to succeed, there is a minimum standard to observe so easy to modify. I have not mastered it yet. Very relevant for hunters as it forces gear management. A high % of the PRS competitors fail on the northern matches that use it.

I feel that few and basic rules helps participation.

Right around time 2:30

Modified version at the start

Dobermann

WKR
Shot something like that for years. 1 shot only, 1 minute max, 1 target minimum 500m (550 yds).
Simple test to set up, easy to succeed, there is a minimum standard to observe so easy to modify. I have not mastered it yet. Very relevant for hunters as it forces gear management. A high % of the PRS competitors fail on the northern matches that use it.

I feel that few and basic rules helps participation.

Right around time 2:30

Modified version at the start
If anyone hasn't yet shot the @THLR challenge, I'd recommend it.

I completed an intro LR course that started day 2 with this challenge. We all passed - 500 m, first shot / only shot, cold bore / cold shooter, only just woke up and had breakfast. So, effectively a 500 m shot on demand, when we were not at our prime. I had to shoot it with someone else's rig due to a gear malfunction, and still hit.

I suspect none of us would have been able to do that the day before, or possibly that we could do it at all.

A great reminder about - and test of - fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.