cold feet from sweat

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
During my late season hunts I've always worn Meindl Alaska Hunter boots and been satisfied with their performance except my feet get cold when I start glassing or sitting for long periods of time. I prefer to wear my regular hiking boots, but when there is snow on the ground or it is pretty cold I switch to Meindl. When the boots come off my socks and inside of the boots are usually damp from sweating on the hike in to the hunting spot. The boots are insulated with 200 g thinsulate and I wear wool/synthetic socks with liners. I keep the boots clean and treat them with the proper wax/oil to keep them in good condition. Is this an unusual problem or common for hunters that build up a sweat hiking in, then glass for hours? I don't want too much insulation because my feet will sweat more. Any suggestions?

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to what Stid linked to, I've done the following. When I am on long level ground walk to a tree stand, I wear cotton socks to get to the stand.
Once up and secured, I take off the socks, store in a plastic baggie and put on the silks and wools.
If hiking at elevation, once I get to a spot I know I'm going to setup or spend at least an hour, I switch out one two layer sock system to a dry set.
Even if I tried to control perspiration, I'll quickly swap the silk/synthetic base layer for a fresh one. Nothing magnifies damp clothing faster than elk hunting below zero with wind. If you are cold, you aren't paying attention or enjoying yourself. With all the high tech clothing on the market, there is no reason to get cold.
Good luck.

i had the same issue, always cold feet. finally found it was from sweat and went to an uninsulated boot until its solidly below 20 and its improved.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Just try spraying your feet with underarm antiperspirant in the morning before putting your socks on.. It will do the same thing as it dose to your underarms, keep them from sweating as much. Ed