Cold feet in the Whitetail Stand

bat-cave

WKR
Last year my feet for pretty cold during Whitetail season. I was using Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro's (800 gram Thinsulate). This year, I figured I had the solution and I upgraded to the 1600 gram version! Not so fast .. feet still turned into blocks of miserable ice.

I tried several sock combinations. Always starting with a thin Merino liner and then adding 1 or more pairs of heavier Merino socks as I experimented. Too many is clearly an issue as you lose the ability to trap warm air and limit mobility. Temps were in the 20's (on the high end) this year and lows down to ~10 deg and several days with 30 mph wind. Invariably, my feet were damp if not wet at the end of the day when I pulled my boots and socks off. I've yet to feel like my feet were overheating on the way to the stand or in the stand. My upper body did get pretty warm somedays and I typically went pretty light on upper body garments and often ditched the hat to try and stay cooler.

I know lots of folks change socks after they walk in. I personally hate the idea of having to pull my boots off and change socks. Tall rubber boots don't slip off that easily and sitting in the snow with a bare foot to change socks seems like it could lead to it's own issues, not to mention the time/noise/commotion at the base of my stand seems like a bad idea. Even worse would be trying to pull this off in the stand where the chance of something being dropped makes everything that much worse.

One thought that comes to mind is that I always tuck my Pant/Bib Legs down into my rubber boots when I put them on. If I'm. not crossing water on my way to the stand, I could forgo tucking them in ... Not sure if this is contributing to overheating.

I figured that I will try using a close cell foam section under my feet in the stand and am considering Arctic Shields / Icebreakers. My concern is that if the issue is I'm overdoing somehow ... this might make things more bearable, but isn't solving the primary problem as wet invariably leads to cold at some point. It's worth noting that last year with the 800 gram boots, I was cold .. but don't recall always being wet at the end of the day.

FWIW, my favorite sock pairing has been a liner and a First Lite Zero Cold Weather OTC sock, sometimes with a Triad as well.

Curious what others have found when it comes to pant leg tucked In or Out?
How much extra room do you feel you need inside the boot?

Thanks!

weaver

WKR
It's a pita but I always change socks when I get in. Pants tucked on the way in then over the boots when in stand.
If it's really cold I'll use a chemical heat insole in each boot.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Schnee's boots. These are fantastic boots. I have the Hunter II boot but looks like you are searching for cold and stationary hunting boot. The Schnee Extreme should serve you well!

1604180720531.png

1604180762347.png

Get the 13" height also. More support for calves and ankles.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Get some of the Arctic Shield boot covers. When you get to the stand toss a handwarmer in each and put them on.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Pretty close to my recommendation. After years of suffering from cold feet, my current setup has allowed me to sit in a stand for 12 hours in 20 degrees with an even lower windchill. And I’m a total wimp when it comes to cold. I have Alphaburly Pro 1600s and use a thin sock plus the thickest merino I can find that doesn’t impair my room in the boots (currently the Woolpower 800s) and, maybe most importantly, a pair of BootSuits with hand warmers in the inside pockets.

I’m not an expert, but the rest of your cold weather gear may impact the cold you feel in your feet.

I use the alphaburly 800’s, nothing fancy on the socks but leave lots of room. Spray antiperspirant on my feet before the hunt once the weather gets cold. Add a stick on chemical toe warmer if it’s below freezing. Add boot blankets when it gets really cold.

aron

WKR
I hate rubber boats for cold weather. If you aren't waking real fast look at Baffin pac boots. I use them if im going to a tree stand in cold weather and for all my ice fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Scentless antiperspirant has been crucial to keeping my feet warm this year. I've always had poor circulation in my feet and it's compounded by having them get rather sweaty with any activity at all. Antipersipirant definitely helps control moisture and keeps my feet much warmer once I stop moving.

I also wear Pac boots instead of rubber boots. Just got a pair of Hoffman's this season I'm looking forward to testing out now that the weather is getting cold.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your profile pic I assume your bowhunting, probably in a loc on or ladder stand. Something that made a difference for me when it gets cold is a piece of carpet zip tied to the stand. It helps keep it quiet so I can move my feet, hides the movement, and in some way is a small insulator.

bsnedeker

WKR
Dude...just get some insulated boot covers and you will be good! No amount of socks or insulation in your boot is going to keep your feet warm in a treestand for extended periods of time. I lived in MN for years and hunted out of a tree stand from September to December 31st. With boot covers I could handle hunting down to well below zero..just throw a couple toe warmers down by your socks when it gets really cold. Easy, cheap, and works!

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you. Cold feet no matter what. Tried 1600g lace up, ice king pac boots, heavy socks, liner and wool socks, wearing the liner in, changing socks at the base of the tree along with toe warmers.

My solution this year has been arctic shield boot covers. I hiked in NON-insulated hiking boots with a light to mid weight merino sock. Same thickness as a standard cotton everyday sock. Once in stand I put the covers in. Temp was 27*. My toes were cool but not cold.

I plan on taking a 200gm and 400gm paid of food on my trip and using the covers. If it's really cold I'll toss a hand warmer inside the covers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I agree with all that others have said so far. One other factor that makes a huge difference in keeping your feet warm as long as possible when on stand in cold temps is to sit rather than stand. This allows better circulation to your feet thus keeping them warmer. (for reference I'm referring to temps in the 20's down to single digits and also below zero)

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good points so far but there is one very important point that hasn’t yet been mentioned... if your core starts to get cold your body will start shedding circulation to the extremities to use for core warmth. If your core isn’t warm enough your feet are going to get cold no matter what you do, booties, hand warmers, etc.

Yes it is important to make sure your boots are not to tight, proper (and ideally dry) socks, and booties do help and I use them myself. But, the best thing I ever did for my feet was getting the rest of my clothing system dialed in.

Jauwater

WKR
I agree with the above posts about boot covers. I'm gonna get my Dad a pair for Christmas.

I'd like to add about socks. I can't say enough good things about rag wool socks. A good loose fitting rag wool sock has out performed any other sock I've used during my time in cold weather.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

No magic formula but here are a few thoughts:

- manage your other layers so your feet will stay warmer. Head and torso need to be warm for feet to stay warm
- definitely get a square of closed foam to stand on
- sounds like your feet sweat, which is going to make the cold worse. rubber boots are never going to breath which will only make things harder.
- the sock changing thing is a pain in the ass but worth it if your feet sweat.
- arctic shields are fine but make sure they fit over your boots. My size 13s have trouble
- wrapping lower legs in a blanket or woobie helps, even consider throwing a body heater pack in with your legs.
- small heat packs in the foot
- electric heaters in your boots.

I experimented with some things for my own use and for my dad who had circulation issues. Short of electric boot warmers, I don’t think there is anything that isnt going to require layering up or swapping you socks that will keep you really warmer.

Lenz heated socks. Work great skiing powder for 7 hours in -0 temps.
Single digits and teens, we use the Lens or Minus 33 expedition socks in the Schnees hunter 13" pack boots.
I work outside building houses in the winter ( when not hunting and skiing). This combo works. The best part of the pac boots is you can have a second pair of Thinsulate liners to swap out if they get cold and wet form perspiration.

Medusa7MM

WKR
My feet always get cold too and make for a miserable sit on the stand. I went to Bass Pro last night and tried on the Arctic Shield boot covers. Almost immediately I could feel my feet getting hot. I hope they work this good in the stand, especially like others have said throwing in a hand warmer as well.
The covers were $49.00 at BP. I was able to get them to price match for $35.00. I also found another place cheaper for $20.00 AFTER I already bought them.

75571217-1526-4F00-AF2D-4DAD8E0712B7.pngDAC680A6-5145-4B2C-92BB-AAF3510A4FB9.png

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
My feet always get cold too and make for a miserable sit on the stand. I went to Bass Pro last night and tried on the Arctic Shield boot covers. Almost immediately I could feel my feet getting hot. I hope they work this good in the stand, especially like others have said throwing in a hand warmer as well.
The covers were $49.00 at BP. I was able to get them to price match for $35.00. I also found another place cheaper for $20.00 AFTER I already bought them.

View attachment 235119View attachment 235118
First year with mine, VERY happy with my decision. Can walk in with regular hiking boots vs huge pac boots.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk