Cold season gloves

406unltd

WKR
I mainly use my traverse gloves all if not most of rifle season in MT. When it gets super cold I use the FL griz mitts. I have not been impressed with the warmth of them though in the temps where my traverse simply aren’t gonna cut it.

You really cannot beat hestra gloves. They are dexterous, warm, and durable. I have shot elk while wearing my hestra gloves that keep my hands warm in single digits. I think hunting company gloves don't come close to them.
Which model of Hestra gloves do you wear?

I have a cheap pair of Cabelas mitts that keep me happy except when I’m still hunting or otherwise needing finger dexterity. Then the gloves I own leaving my fingers frozen unless I’m running or hiking hard uphill.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Which model of Hestra gloves do you wear?

I have a cheap pair of Cabelas mitts that keep me happy except when I’m still hunting or otherwise needing finger dexterity. Then the gloves I own leaving my fingers frozen unless I’m running or hiking hard uphill.

Sorry, I looked on the internet a bunch and I cannot figure out the cold weather model(s) I have. I bought my first pair 15 years ago at a factory sale and they don't have the model name written on them. After 15 years, they actually still have some life left. Last year I had them out in single digit temps. Last year I bought another cold-weather pair that I think were prototypes. They are all leather with a wool and primaloft lining. I bought my neighbor a pair because his hands are always cold and he says they are the warmest gloves he has ever owned.

I also have a pair of Hestra Army Leather GoreTex Short Gloves, which I don't think are as warm as the other two pair that I mentioned and they are not as dexterous. However, I decided to wear them on a cold hunt last year and I wore them while processing a couple of elk. At the end, I took them off for a few minutes to clean myself up. They froze solid. It was not pleasant getting them on frozen, but they thawed out and warmed my hands up eventually.

So, I don't think I recommend a specific model (and they have a lot of models).

Good Luck.

I like insulated leather ranching style gloves. The ones I was getting by Wells Lamont are only about $15. They are cheap, warm, and lower profile than a typical winter or ski glove. Give them the snow seal treatment and they are great waterproof gloves. I love the kinco gloves for skiing but they are heavy and bulky. The leather ranching gloves aren't great for skiing though because the cuffs are great "snow catchers" but for hunting I can get them off quicker.

Lowg08

WKR
Has anyone tried the fingerless merino in the griz mitt with a hand warmer

I just ordered some thin alpaca wool gloves off etsy of all places. I am going to wear them inside the US army surplus trigger finger mitts, and throw a handwarmer in each mitten. We layer the rest of our body, why not the hands?

I also intend to try nitrile gloves to make a cheap vapor barrier setup if it gets cold enough this fall.