Cold weather bag options

Lawnboi

WKR
Well its looking like my cold weather bag is sold so now the choice on what im replacing it with.

Iv got it narrowed down to 2 options.

#1. Kifaru slick bag, 0*

#2. Kifaru slick bag, 20* with a woobie express to bring it down to the lower temp.

I already own the woobie express, and ill be using that for warmer weather trips.

My thoughs are that the 20* and woobie express will allow me to bring along the express for glassing and for use around camp without any weight penalty. Has anyone used a system like this? Do you think it will adequately lower the bags temp to make it comparable to the 0*? And do I put the woobie over or inside the slick bag?

On the other hand mummy bags were designed to be efficient, Im thinking the straight 0* mummy bag might be a more efficient option, especially since I like to roll around a lot when I sleep. I use the K blanket for 3 season use because I like to roll around so much. But I know once it gets to 20 or below I need a mummy or im getting cold.

What are your thoughts on this?

No I will not get another down bag :)

Floorguy

WKR
What temp are you considering cold weather? Everybody is different. I take a 20 degree bag and figure if its colder I'll wear my base layer and if its colder still I will wear my insulating layer. that should get me to around 0. Of course if its getting colder than that I need a different bag. If its warmer I have a bag liner that I always use and I just vent the bag appropriately.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Not to side track but what made you settle on a Slick bag?

Im done buying down gear, that's part of the reason. I just don't like how down gets wet and stays wet. Not to mention lightweight down bags are pretty fragile.

I own a couple of the kifaru blankets and I really like the material they make their soft goods out of. I use their blankets for 3 season camping w/ a bivy.

The stuff compresses almost as well as down, and weight is almost negligible between down and the k synthetic.

The material they use is tough! Im not afraid to throw them over a branch to dry or sit in them while im glassing if its really cold. Being that I use a wood stove sometimes im not afraid to sit close to a fire with it, as a stray ember wouldnt do anything but make a pin hole I could patch with some seam sealer. I wouldnt do any of this stuff with an expensive down bag.

The synthetic dries very very fast. I camp in pretty dry areas but, condensation, storms or whatever always seem to make my bags a little damp. My down bags would stay damp the whole trip while the kifaru stuff dries pretty quick.

The material they use is not only tough, its also pretty wind resistant, which is nice.

Lastly they make them in multicam now, completely un-needed to me, but man they look cool :)

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I do like the idea of getting the 0*, as this will be my all around winter bag. But weight still is a concern. The 0* not only would add a 12oz to my pack, but then i need to take an insulating layer as well.

Where as with the 20* and woobie express i have an insulating layer and bag all at 3lbs.

I know the woobie express is made of the same weight insulation as kifaru's 40* bag. But is that and a 20* enough to bring me down to 0*.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
What temp are you considering cold weather? Everybody is different. I take a 20 degree bag and figure if its colder I'll wear my base layer and if its colder still I will wear my insulating layer. that should get me to around 0. Of course if its getting colder than that I need a different bag. If its warmer I have a bag liner that I always use and I just vent the bag appropriately.

This will be my all around winter bag. I wouldn't be taking it if I wasn't expeciting low 20's and lower.