Cold weather boot advice

The 1600g Lacrosse Alpha Burly and stand on a closed cell foam butt pad like a cut up Thermarest Z Lite or the like. Thin wicking synthetic liner socks and a thick merino wool sock over them.

OP
S

south man

FNG
The 1600g Lacrosse Alpha Burly and stand on a closed cell foam butt pad like a cut up Thermarest Z Lite or the like. Thin wicking synthetic liner socks and a thick merino wool sock over them.
I just sold my 1600 Alphas as my feet sweated and got cold in them at 30 degree temps. I never tried the foam trick!

Your feet will get cold in any boot if you sweat in them. If I’m combatting sweaty feet the only thing I’ve found is to rotate socks. A fresh pair of dry socks is like a day at the spa. I’ve found that when I take my boot and sweaty sock off, my bare foot doesn’t feel any colder than it was when I had a shoe on. The sweat was cooling my foot to the point that I might as well have been barefoot. If I change socks after the walk and climb, I’m probably good for the day.

OP
S

south man

FNG
I did try that last year on a hunt in Ohio and it helped and saved my all day sit! Im looking at some new boots to see if maybe a hunting boot would work better than all rubber to help with sweating-thanks for the help!

NoWiser

WKR
You need removable liners if you want warm feet. Cabelas Predators are the warmest I’ve found. I routinely ice fish all day in -20 to -30 actual temps sitting outside and they keep my feet warm. Almost everyone I know has switched to them for fishing and stand hunting.

Yeah a pac boot is the only other kind of boot I’d consider when it’s cold. I hunt in Schnee’s Hunter II’s a lot and they are also very warm and have the removable liner bonus

You need removable liners if you want warm feet. Cabelas Predators are the warmest I’ve found. I routinely ice fish all day in -20 to -30 actual temps sitting outside and they keep my feet warm. Almost everyone I know has switched to them for fishing and stand hunting.
That’s good to know I will have to try a pair!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Schnee's Hunters here as well; mine are now 25 years old (resoled once) and still going strong. I have the 16" height ones, no need for gaiters w/ those. Unlike a lot of pac boots, I can put the miles on w/ these- often put 10-15 mile days in with them.

They (Schnee's) have one warmer boot than that, I had a pair of those, but honestly other than ice fishing or late season waterfowl, they were too warm.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna dig this thread back up. Anyone tried the Muck arctic pro boots? Read good things about them but haven't had a chance to try them out. Need to upgrade my boots before this cold snap hits next week in MN.

Kotaman

WKR
I like Schnee's Hunters but they are worthless to me for sitting in cold temps. My feet sweat a little, the rubber gets froze and its like my feet are in an ice box. The other night I thought it was warm enough for the Schnees. WRONG. I damn near froze my feet. I've tried everything out there and come back to the following for really cold sits: (I've used every rubber boot imaginable: Arctic Mucks, 1600 Lacrosse Alphas etc. and when it gets really cold, the rubber boots get put away)

*Military Bunny Boots. Tough to beat.
*Baffin Impacts. Bulky but warm.
*Sorel Glacier XT's. One of my favorite cold weather boots.

I would like to try Schnees 1000 g. pack boot but my experience with the Hunters has given me "cold feet". .. ;)

NoWiser

WKR
Gonna dig this thread back up. Anyone tried the Muck arctic pro boots? Read good things about them but haven't had a chance to try them out. Need to upgrade my boots before this cold snap hits next week in MN.

For the weather forecasted next week they’d probably be ok, but I think you’d be disappointed with them as your designated cold weather boot. You need a pac boot if you want warm feet in cold weather. Get the Predator Extremes and be done with it if warm feet are your #1 priority.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I have Sorel packs that are ok into the 20's but if it is consistently single or low double digits then Steger Mukluks work pretty well. Used them in Alberta for a couple of seasons.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pair of the muck Arctic pro boots. In my opinion they are not a good late season option for stand hunting here in the Northeast. Very comfortable for a slip on boot but not in cold weather.

Mosby

WKR
I've got a pair of the muck Arctic pro boots. In my opinion they are not a good late season option for stand hunting here in the Northeast. Very comfortable for a slip on boot but not in cold weather.
I found them to be pretty warm when I wore them in Canada and I was hunting out of box blinds in Alberta. I wasn't walking much and wouldn't want to hike in them.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I live in northern alberta and work in the home building industry. Work outside all winter long. Artic mucks are great boots as are baffin ice bear/ Dunlops. The liner boots only work if the liners are dry. Which they never are if you walk/ build up a sweat. The foam insulated boots work even after your foot sweats up. I hunt / work in temps as low as -40c and trust me 15 years of this has taught me a few things. Dont over pack your boots. Light moisture wicking socks( thin marino wool) and a small "air space" around your foot does wonders for keeping you warm. Less is more. Artic mucks have been my go to for 3 winters now for hunting. Down side is I have to swap them out to a lace up for packing out as they will give hot spots and blisters if hauling weight. The foam based boots are great as they are smaller/ lighter on your foot as well. I hear reports that the new muckd have gond down hill in quality( neoprene wearing out within a year)mine are 4 years old and still going strong. If your looking at baffin vs dunlop types the dunlops have a very hard tread and become very slippery on flat surfaces in the cold. Not great for tree stands. The baffins have a softer sole and have good grip. Both have a foam shaft so they don't flex nearly as easily as the mucks.
Years back I uses to pack three pairs of liners for my baffins jyst to get through the day without freezing my feet. Often when switching the liners would be frozen to the bottom of the boot as all the moisture is trapped inside and migrates down to the bottom of the boot the cold would freeze them to the insole. Every night I would have to dry them out. I have never had any issues with The foam based boots, warm feet wether working or standing

rj2

WKR
ive been debating the muck arctic pro vs the cabelas zoned comfort with 2000g in toes, 1600 in mid foot, and 1200 in heel.

mucks are pretty proven but the cabelas look a little more durable with a nice big heel and toe kick, plus the cinch strap on the side.

Wrench

WKR
I have a pair of 1995 vintage whites Yukon survivors that I have yet to match for warmth. I spent 7 years on the north slope of Alaska and never saw anything come close. They are huge, have massive air around the foot and are NOT for active wear.....but to hike into a stand and sit there and be warm, they can't be beat.

I will include some pics next to my Hoffman pacs for size comparison. You won't find these at whites any longer, and if you did I'd tell you to pass because the new shells are garbage, but it will show you how much more space is required for foot warmth. 20191216_052733.jpg20191216_052725.jpg20191216_052705.jpg20191216_052639.jpg

I like Schnee's Hunters but they are worthless to me for sitting in cold temps. My feet sweat a little, the rubber gets froze and its like my feet are in an ice box. The other night I thought it was warm enough for the Schnees. WRONG. I damn near froze my feet. I've tried everything out there and come back to the following for really cold sits: (I've used every rubber boot imaginable: Arctic Mucks, 1600 Lacrosse Alphas etc. and when it gets really cold, the rubber boots get put away)

*Military Bunny Boots. Tough to beat.
*Baffin Impacts. Bulky but warm.
*Sorel Glacier XT's. One of my favorite cold weather boots.

I would like to try Schnees 1000 g. pack boot but my experience with the Hunters has given me "cold feet". .. ;)

This post mirrors my experiences almost exactly. I just need a more insulative boot in colder temps. My treestand boots are all about warmth while sitting, and very little about ankle support or walking.