Cold Weather Boot

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking for a good cold weather pair of boots. I'm thinking about the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000 gram boots. Any other suggestions? I've got the 400 gram mountain Extreme boots and they were not warm enough for me in 20 degree weather. Any other suggestions to the 1000 gram Mountain Extremes? I'd like to try a pair of synthetic boots but none of them seem to have much insulation.

Mosby

WKR
For cold weather hunting it is hard to beat a good pack boot. I would look at something from Schnee's or Hoffman's. I have and like the Schnee's Elk Hunter II. A lot of people recommend the Hoffman boot shown.

1586923941354.png

400grams of insulation should be plenty at 20degree. I use only 200 down to zero.

Man I would look into your sock system and insoles first. I bet you have sweaty feet. Perspiration can significantly downgrade the value of the insulation.

I would suggest trying a thermal liner sock, with a vapor barrier sock over(prevents insulation from getting wet), then a thick bison down sock(warmer than wool) over that. Yes 3 socks. Hopefully you have a boot size bigger than your normal for winter use with thick socks. I use a full size up.

Not sure if kenetreks has insulated sole but could add a aerogel insole as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcdinaz

FNG
does this work? Seems the waterproof liner would make for sweatier feet?
Asking because I know my feet get cold due to sweating, happens even when it is not that cold and only walking really warms them up.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
400grams of insulation should be plenty at 20degree. I use only 200 down to zero.

Man I would look into your sock system and insoles first. I bet you have sweaty feet. Perspiration can significantly downgrade the value of the insulation.

I would suggest trying a thermal liner sock, with a vapor barrier sock over(prevents insulation from getting wet), then a thick bison down sock(warmer than wool) over that. Yes 3 socks. Hopefully you have a boot size bigger than your normal for winter use with thick socks. I use a full size up.

Not sure if kenetreks has insulated sole but could add a aerogel insole as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow three socks? I think my feet do sweat a lot. Originally I thought it was the boot leaking but my feet always felt damp in the snow.. some folks feet are different and don't get a cold.

I'm afraid to go a full size up. I'd be concerned thered be a lot of slop in the heal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What type of hunting? How much walking?
All types but the best example would be late season elk (so November). Looking at 20 degree average temps. Lots of walking with periods of an hour or so of glossing from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I've had good luck with Sorels when sitting at a blind or not hiking a whole lot.

I work out in the field here in Colo all winter long and have never seen the need for insulated boots. I buy my boots 1 size larger so I can replace the originals with padded insoles. I tighten the laces when it's warm and I wear lighter socks and let laces out so I can wear a little thicker socks when cold. If active at 15 to 30 degrees you really don't need insulated boots. Your feet will thank you when they aren't sweating! When sitting for an hour at a time I would much rather wear uninsulated boots and have warm, non-sweaty feet than insulated boots with cold, sweaty feet!

If there is deep snow I just switch over to taller boots.

Last year I hunted late season wearing the uninsulated Lowa Tibet GTX. I used a thin liner sock, a VBL sock and a mid weight wool sock. Temperatures got down to single digits Fahrenheit. I was fine when I was moving, but quickly became cold when stopped. I brought along NEOS overboots and they worked well, but were pretty heavy bulky and heavy. This year I'm going with the same sock setup combined with a 400 gram boot and Forty Below Penguin overboots.

DANNY-L

Lil-Rokslider
Try some good sock liners. I also use a peets boot dryer after returning so I know my boots are good and dry for the next trip out.