Cold Weather Cooking

I am looking to upgrade my isobutane stove this year, but I think I might need a white gas stove. Doing a 3rd rifle hunt in Colorado this year and am concerned that a canister stove system MIGHT not cut it depending on weather. I’m looking at getting a MSR whisperlite, but would much prefer a isobutane stove if I can make it work. Anyone have experience with a canister stove in cold temps that doesnt fail/waste a bunch of fuel? (I’m planning for 0* as worst case scenario, maybe I’m off on my expectations there as well). TIA

EDIT: mainly using to heat water for dehydrated meals (breakfast and dinner). I guess melting snow is possible but not my primary plan for water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an MSR Windburner (using MSR IsoPro fuel canisters) and an MSR Whisperlite International (using white gas).

I definitely prefer my Windburner with canister for pretty much every trip. MUCH faster and easier to use if just heating water. However, I got hit by much colder temps than I expected on my hunt last year - using stove down to about 15F - and it was noticeably more inefficient and didn't run as well as I was used to in warmer weather.

Running the Whisperlite is a hassle in comparison, but if you're expecting 0F temps I wouldn't suggest relying on a standard isobutane stove unless you are able to test it out in those conditions first. Whisperlite is also much easier to actually cook food with, if you ever want to go that route.

OP
Bearwhisky
I have an MSR Windburner (using MSR IsoPro fuel canisters) and an MSR Whisperlite International (using white gas).

I definitely prefer my Windburner with canister for pretty much every trip. MUCH faster and easier to use if just heating water. However, I got hit by much colder temps than I expected on my hunt last year - using stove down to about 15F - and it was noticeably more inefficient and didn't run as well as I was used to in warmer weather.

Running the Whisperlite is a hassle in comparison, but if you're expecting 0F temps I wouldn't suggest relying on a standard isobutane stove unless you are able to test it out in those conditions first. Whisperlite is also much easier to actually cook food with, if you ever want to go that route.

If 15F was giving you hassle on the Windburner, I definitely think I need to go the white gas route. Im thinking 15 will be most likely lows with decent chance of much lower. I’ve used the white gas stoves many times in the past and remember how much more of a hassle they are. The isobutane has spoiled me in recent years, but looks like I’ll be adding a new Whisperlite to my arsenal. Thanks for your input!

You could run some tests. Freeze a canister (preferably one that is fairly depleted so the pressure is lower) overnight and then test it out. Most freezers are set to about 0F by default, and the canisters will cool when running. You could also weigh the canister before and after to measure fuel consumption to boil a cup of water. Then compare to room temp results.

That may give you a decent idea of what it's like for basically zero cost. Heck, I may go back and do that if I get some time...

For a whisperlite in cold conditions, I use a small container of alcohol (actually auto HEET) to preheat the burner then good for boiling with liquid fuel down to super cold temperature. I tried in at -40 and it worked great.

Ran a quick experiment this morning.

Canister was running when cold, but definitely sputtering a little and running rough at first until ambient conditions started to warm the canister up. I'd suggest planning 2x the amount of fuel for winter vs summer.

1630175794935.png

My wife used to run a similar size jet boil for snow camping (before I met her) without too much issue. I also read about others keeping canisters warm until use or placing canister in water to keep temp above freezing, which may not always be possible. Personally, I would probably chance it with a canister stove where I hunt (WA state) unless I am knowingly going into much colder weather and won't be building a small fire.

That suggestion from @AK_Skeeter about preheating the Whisperlite sounds good. I'll have to try that!

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful...

OP
Bearwhisky
Thanks for the tip @AK_Skeeter!

Interesting results you got @TheLoamRanger. I figured on frozen burning up more fuel, but wouldn’t have thought it was twice as much. I borrowed a Whisperlite from a buddy to mess around with. Took over 6 minutes and 2 oz of fuel to boil a liter (granted i was using super cheap fuel... about half the price of the coleman gas at Wally World). 90* ambient temp at 500 ft elevation.

I may try some better fuel before I decide, but considering the boil times and fuel consumption on this Whisperlite, I’m not so sure I would be saving any weight or pack space. Even with the ISO consuming twice as much frozen. Per some rough calculations I will need 2 30 oz bottles of white gas for the trip. I need to do some calculating based off of your consumptions to see how many canisters I may need. Thanks for the detailed input.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Having used an MSR Dragonfly quite a bit, and a Whisperlite Internationale some, I honestly don't know why anyone still buys MSR stoves for white gas.

Do yourself a favor and get a Primus Omnilite instead. As good or better heat control than a Dragonfly, lighter than a Whisperlite, much more robust pump (I've seen MSR's break), and has a nice silent burner that is lighter and easier than the aftermarket ones for MSR's. Plus, you can still burn canister gas with no adapters.

I've used my Omnilite on white gas well below zero while ice fishing, and I've never had a problem.

Last edited:
What’s the verdict on running the whisperlites with isobutane canisters upside down? I’ve heard it helps in colder temps but I’m not sure how much.

One other thing to keep in mind is length of daylight is typically much shorter when it’s that cold out, so the typical archery season, “eat dinner as fast as possible and get to bed” isn’t as much of an issue.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
first find a regulated iso stove- my preference is the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe (the Deluxe is regulated, the regular is not)

then find a copper strip (details on size/thickness readily available on the intraweb)- this really works well in cold weather

finally a small ccf pad to insulate the canister

I've run the above in below zero weather w/o any issues

d5Nfa1x.jpg

ihstfrc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearwhisky
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up getting a Whisperlite last week. Wanted one to have on hand anyhow. @mtwarden that looks like a pretty cool set up, I’m going to do some research and give that a try as well. Thanks for the tip.