Cold weather gear on a budget

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I know Kuiu and Sitka make great cold weather gear but is there a good Jacket and pant combo that can be recommended that is a little more budget friendly. Say 30-40 degrees. Need some better winter gear for coyote hunting. What brands and model should I be looking at? Also we don’t get much rain where I live but we will get occasional snow. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jmez

WKR
Kryptek Dalibor,. Can get them on Campfire. Good stuff

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Keep an eye out in the classifieds for natural gear. I just picked up a winterceptor quarter zip for $40 and friggin love it. It kinda on the light weight side but man, that thing really is windproof. I also use a pair of under armor stealth bibs for night coyote hunting. They’re the kind that has high pile fleece on the inside and man, I wear just a pair of long johns underneath and I stay friggin toasty. Another good option would be the Cabela’s outfitter wool with 4most wind shear. I see them in the classifieds all the time and love my hoodie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
I bought the kryptek cadog jacket, on sale , this spring and have been out when it was in the single digits and a bit windy and never got cold. it even has pit zips to dump heat when it is warmer

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Camofire and Hunt of the day can be your friends. Also the classifieds on here and any other hunting forums are gold mines. Also Facebook has a KUIU group that you can join and there might be others that I am not aware of. Craigslist is another one. Good luck.

RCB

WKR
Spend enough time on Rokslide and you’ll start thinking that there are only three clothing makers in the world (Sitka, kuiu, first lite). Unsurprisingly, they’re very expensive.

My impression is that, for the most part, merino wool is merino wool, down is down, fleece is fleece, and so on. The main differences between different brands will be fit, quality of construction, and marketing. Lots of hiking clothing companies make stuff just as good as the hunting companies. If you are open to not wearing camo, then you can look for deals from any company out there and save a good deal of money.

For being stationary at 30-40 degrees, any down or synthetic jacket from any manufacturer will do. Then buy a pair of long johns (preferably merino but cotton is better than nothing, just be conscious of moisture) to go under any pair of synthetic outdoor pants. Then go hunting.

Last edited:
If you don't care about camo, I've been getting some decent stuff from Eddie Bauer

+1 And I found a camo down jacket on Amazon for $64. Was a great layer on my - 13 degree Wyoming antelope hunt.

They've since gone up to $77, but the non-hoody is only $54.

Used! If you can find some used gear, the most important thing is that they fit. If you find yourself in a hoity toity mountain town, you should be able to make a run down to the local second hand store and score about any good piece of gear you want, with very little wear on it, for about 90% off the sticker price.

Then go hunting - the 'yotes won't care if it says Stio, or Simms, or Mountain Hardware. If it is neutrally colored and keeps you comfortable, give it hell!

zacattack

WKR
I’ll throw in another vote for Eddie Bauer, they always have sales and will send out temporary gift cards as well if you are on the mailing list. They also seem to have more sizes than a lot of others. For pants specifically their guide pro pants are top notch, and the lined ones are super warm.

IdahoElk

WKR
Used! If you can find some used gear, the most important thing is that they fit. If you find yourself in a hoity toity mountain town, you should be able to make a run down to the local second hand store and score about any good piece of gear you want, with very little wear on it, for about 90% off the sticker price.

Then go hunting - the 'yotes won't care if it says Stio, or Simms, or Mountain Hardware. If it is neutrally colored and keeps you comfortable, give it hell!
Ha! do you live in Jackson? I'm near Sun Valley,good deals to be had at the thrift stores here.

Ha! do you live in Jackson? I'm near Sun Valley,good deals to be had at the thrift stores here.
Close enough to Jackson for comfort! Actually a bit south of there, but pretty much any of those towns would probably have options for scoring deals.

kiddogy

WKR
Spend enough time on Rokslide and you’ll start thinking that there are only three clothing makers in the world (Sitka, kuiu, first lite). Unsurprisingly, they’re very expensive.

My impression is that, for the most part, merino wool is merino wool, down is down, fleece is fleece, and so on. The main differences between different brands will be fit, quality of construction, and marketing. Lots of hiking clothing companies make stuff just as good as the hunting companies. If you are open to not wearing camo, then you can look for deals from any company out there and save a good deal of money.

For being stationary at 30-40 degrees, any down or synthetic jacket from any manufacturer will do. Then buy a pair of long johns (preferably merino but cotton is better than nothing, just be conscious of moisture) to go under any pair of synthetic outdoor pants. Then go hunting.
doan fergit kryptek

$25 generic Fleece, $30 Costco puffy, covered with my 2.5 layer rain jacket Mostly to stop wind (not sure of the brand but it was like $50) have kept me warm and held up for years. I’m not easy on it either. I look at it just like our turnouts....insulating layer covered by moisture barrier with a shell over the top to protect it all.Take that combo everywhere I hunt, from 10 degree elk hunting in snow, to backpacking in for coues. I’ve had the ‘good’ stuff, and it’s INSANE to pay that much.ive paid more for one jacket in the past then I have for my entire setup now, including my mid weight first lite merino baselayer top and bottom. I do splurge on that stuff, it’s awesome! Oh, and first lite merino socks are awesome too, up there with the smart wool and darn tough