Cold weather gear on a budget

Rich M

WKR
I was still hunting and sitting on a stool this year. Temps from teens w 20 mph winds to mid 20s and still. Wore jeans, long John's, puffy type jacket, good socks, gloves, and fleece beanie.

Had breathable raincoat with 2 layers of fleece under it the snowy 17 degree day and had to slow down not to sweat.

I have trouble not using jeans if it isn't raining.

I'm looking for a 3 piece parka for future hunts. Want a layer able system that zips together.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
$25 generic Fleece, $30 Costco puffy, covered with my 2.5 layer rain jacket Mostly to stop wind (not sure of the brand but it was like $50) have kept me warm and held up for years. I’m not easy on it either. I look at it just like our turnouts....insulating layer covered by moisture barrier with a shell over the top to protect it all.Take that combo everywhere I hunt, from 10 degree elk hunting in snow, to backpacking in for coues. I’ve had the ‘good’ stuff, and it’s INSANE to pay that much.ive paid more for one jacket in the past then I have for my entire setup now, including my mid weight first lite merino baselayer top and bottom. I do splurge on that stuff, it’s awesome! Oh, and first lite merino socks are awesome too, up there with the smart wool and darn tough

Love Darn Tough Socks. All I wear on or off duty. Lifetime unconditional warranty. Comfy and great quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely if I had to splurge, it would be on things for my feet. Good boots, good socks that can hold up well (DTs seem to fit that bill better than any other I've had)

Cb750

FNG
+1 on the Darn Tough socks. I love them, but my favourite socks of all are Alpaca wool socks. I received a pair as a gift and they are my go to often wear merino liners underneath but not always. These run about 40 bucks CAD I believe so currently thats about a stick of gum and 2 pieces of pocket lint in USD.

I have been hunting with merino base layer as well as an old fleece I bought in the '90s under a single ply goretex shell and a ghillie jacket over top. It can be a bit bulky and not as quiet as I like. Tbh somedays at freezing it's too much and other days if I have a chill to start I am cold all day and that won't be enough. I guess I'm the opposite of 100%DIYazCOUES I'm tired of stuff that sort does what I want and can be a bit bulky. I'm in a similar boat to yourself in that I want high quality but as affordable as I can. Staying open to the fact that I may end up going back to what I have lol.

bpietila

FNG
Haha I second the hot hands. Salvaged many a winter outing with kids in tow. I like them because it can be hard to find quality COLD weather gear (-10 or colder) for kids. Especially mittens and boots. And then I’d go broke trying to keep up with size changes. So hot hands for the win. My wife sewed some pockets on the inside our 3 year old daughter snow pants to be able to add hand warmers around chest.

Cb750

FNG
At the risk of hijacking the post a bit. I was looking at the natural gear coral hoodie that is supposed be windproof I think. Have you tried that at all @Where's Bruce? ? Also I saw they had a video for hooded winterceptor top but couldn't find it on their site.

Cb750

FNG
I may. I'm not convinced it's what I am looking for. That's why I asked you about the other hoodie I think the winterceptor would be too warm.

TXSTDU

FNG
I just got my Skre stuff and I love them so far.

Seem to be good quality and seem really warm for the little I have worn them around the house.

Best part is I got them for 20% during memorial day. I'd keep an eye out as it seems they run deals pretty regular and they pop up on Camofire from time to time.

I'll put in my 2 cents for what its worth.

Hands down best ive found is millitary stuff.

Polar tech fleece , Gor Tex outer wear and some close out merino base layers. I outfitted my self out of our army store for about $150 for a complete nearly new set up. Lots of decent stuff out there. Might be a bit heavy , but my Military Gor tex has been a solid go to for me for a while.

Yep , I got First Lite stuff as well, bought it all discounted and love that stuff to.

Try Sierra Trading post and REI closeouts

Ive gotten a lot of great deals from them over the years as well.

I wont/don't pay retail any more.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have used a combination of military, thrift store wool, and non specific outer layers all my life. It works for sure but I am buying a quality coat this year. So tired of being bulky and heavy when it gets cold.

Same for my wife. A better layering system will cut down on bulk and simplify things. More so for her as she doesn't handle the cold as well. Still following, and really like the look of those EB Guide Pro pants. Wrangler discontinued the ones I like from them.

I just picked up 2 sets of top and bottoms of polartec grid pattern(military) base layers at Goodwill that look brand new. $20.

Rich M

WKR
I know Kuiu and Sitka make great cold weather gear but is there a good Jacket and pant combo that can be recommended that is a little more budget friendly. Say 30-40 degrees. Need some better winter gear for coyote hunting. What brands and model should I be looking at? Also we don’t get much rain where I live but we will get occasional snow. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I wear jeans in 30-40 degrees. A windproof fleece or insulated flannel shirt and layering shirt with a beanie might be too warm. If it is in the 20s and lower I will use a breathable raincoat over the fleece & long johns. Wear long unders with the jeans once it starts getting cold. I use cabelas untilmax socks, wool mitten/glove things and uninsulated boots if over 30, 400 gr insulated boots if under 30.

Rain changes the game and I'll wear rain or synthetic cargo pants - cotton will soak you if it gets wet - wicks up as far as it can... Synthetic or wool layering system in rain.

Also have a puffy - with a sweatshirt style hood. That works great in most weather but once it gets wet, its done. It's a great 1 coat thing - say around camp or for a quick hunt. Would rather layer for all day or longer hunts.