Cold weather gear upgrade

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to upgrade a few pieces here and there for an upcoming late season Nevada elk hunt. I think I'd like a good soft shell jacket to go over my puffy. I think this would be a good piece to have. Based on availability, I'm looking at the FL uncompahgre, Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Guide or Axis. I'd like the FL Catalyst, but size L is sold out.

I like the FL pattern the best and think it would blend in best for the places I hunt.

Seems like most people lean towards the Jetstream....

Thoughts?

Jet stream is the most useful of all the prices you listed.

it all depends what other layers your using though.

base?
Mid?
Puffy?
Shell?

The uncompahgre is a really nice puffy, wouldn't work well as a soft shell. Jetstream is really nice, would have to size up for sure to get a puffy underneath. Kuiu guide is a nice jacket, but the wind goes right through it, it's an around town jacket now. Haven't tried the axis. Catalyst is nice but like the Kuiu guide, let's wind through.
I would go with the Jetstream, check out the mountain and stratus as well. I have a Nomad Harvester jacket that I've put more time on than all the others combined, not sure it qualifies as a soft shell though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The construction quality of first lite just hasn’t impressed me. I’m eyeing the kuiu axis currently. I have been using the kuiu guide for a few years too and I like it a lot.

Jimss

WKR
You might take a look at "noise factor"? Some of the new fabrics companies are using as outers are pretty darn noisy in brush.

One item you may want on your list for cold weather is a vest? A lot of guys seem to over look vests. I like vests for several reasons. They are great used as an outer and breath extremely well around your armpits when actively hiking. Pitzips obviously help on jackets but vests breath even better! Vests are great used as an inner layer. Vest lack the bulk and a little weight of jackets.

Another item that tends to be overlooked for cold weather is a neck gator. I don't leave home without one!

In regard to jackets, I almost always buy them with a hood. Hoods are great for rain, snow, and wind protection. I actually like hoodies during hot summer scouting trips because a hood protects against the brutal sun. Kuiu just came out with a reasonably priced Gila line that looks pretty good. I wish it had some sort of pocket though? You could also likely use it as an inner in cold weather.