Cold weather glove system.

LRJammer

FNG
In preparing for a Wyoming rifle elk hunt next year, I am completely re-vamping my hunting gloves. My hands seem to be particularly sensitive to cold so it is a big issue with me.
I will absolutely get a thick pair of puffy style gloves for glassing, but my biggest question is on the active side of glove use. Using the same layering system that is proven on the rest of the body makes complete sense for hands. I like the logic that Kuiu used for their glove system.

My questions are:

1. Is the Kuiu system as effective as it sounds at keeping the hands reasonably comfortable provided the correct combinations of gloves are used?

2. By the time you get a third layer of 5 finger gloves on in the Kuiu system, do you have any dexterity left?

I would appreciate any input that you can offer on the subject

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I wear spandex with silicone coated palms by atlas and puffy mittens. Nothing else. I require dexterity. If I don't have dexterity then I require the extra second to lose a mit. If my only option is shooting faster or passing....I'll slow my game down and toss the mit.

It was -12°f when I killed my idaho bull last year....and that's the system. I can toss a mit faster than a glove and it keeps me warmer. If a bull popped up at 25 yards I can shoot through the mitten.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be a little leary of three layers of gloves personally. What's worked for me the best in very cold weather is a very lightweight pair of glove liners, Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex insulated mitts (I have a pair of the 2.5 and the 4.0 depending on expected temps) and a Gore-Tex shell mitt which cuts wind and precipitation and keeps everything cozy inside

This gives me a lot of versatility- can wear just the liner gloves, just the liners and insulated mitts, just the liners and the Gore-Tex mitts or all three if needed.

I've tried a LOT of other gloves and mittens over the last 30 years working (and playing!) outdoors and this is the system that I've settled on.