Cold Weather Gloves?

OBP

WKR
I'm trying to decide on a pair of cold weather gloves that won't weigh too much in my pack. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of gloves when the weather is below freezing/snowing/sleeting etc.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a pair of Windblock OR gripper gloves that I really like. Very warm, but pack down small enough that the pair can zip into the pocket of my puffy coat (my Windblock hat lives in the other pocket). Only downside is, they aren't waterproof...I end up using a set of OR goretex overmitts in wet weather, and stay toasty warm.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I usually have a pair of Mntn Hardware Mittens as my cold weather go to glove. Mainly for times of rest, glassing or meals and they are toasty warm. When were moving my hand fair pretty well in a pair of Patagonia fingerless windproof fleece glove with leather palm.
I think mittens are key if your looking for a very warm glove, keeping all the heat in one pocket instead of all the surface area of a glove with fingers.
Otherwise go with a windproof glove with a breathable material that dries quickly.

OP
OBP

OBP

WKR
Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'm going to check into a pair of the mitts, either mt hardwear or outdoor research.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Mitts are a good plan. I have a set of super warm Patagonia gloves, but my hands will get sweaty, even in subzero weather.