Cold weather gloves

86Chevy

Lil-Rokslider
I live in eastern Wyoming and we are starting our nasty weather season. Below zero temps are not uncommon and I got frost bite in both hands last year resulting in some nerve damage.

I went coyote hunting the other morning, it was about 5 degrees all morning and my kuiu Northstar gloves didn't anything to keep my hands warm.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better glove recommendation for those kind of temps

hiker270

WKR
Quality mittens with liner gloves and some Hot Hands chemical hand warmers always works for me.

Add in a chest muff and keep ‘em parked in there until you’re using them. Sitka makes a great one, but I also bought one at cabelas that worked out great too.

@86Chevy i just came back from CO with temps between 2-25*. Had my kuiu northstars as my only gloves. I put a hand warmer inside each glove in my palm first thing. It was plenty warm for me for 6-8 hours and the gloves were fine on their own by late day as the temps got to the 20s.

I have a set of super warm OR mittens if I need more but I was OK with the northstars with warmers.

OP

86Chevy

Lil-Rokslider
@86Chevy i just came back from CO with temps between 2-25*. Had my kuiu northstars as my only gloves. I put a hand warmer inside each glove in my palm first thing. It was plenty warm for me for 6-8 hours and the gloves were fine on their own by late day as the temps got to the 20s.

I have a set of super warm OR mittens if I need more but I was OK with the northstars with warmers.
With the damage in my hands I made it about 30mins on a coyote stand and the pain was to much to stay out any longer. I might try some hand warmers tho

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Hand warmers are awesome. Just make sure whatever you use them with has space for air. In my gloves they work great but in my boots they do not work at all. But there is no extra space in my boots.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have a lot of problems with cold hands - those first lite brooks mitts have been a lifesaver for me, especially when it’s <15F out. Really help.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve been using Hestra mittens for the last two years when temp start to dip in single digits and below zero. My hands actually get too warm while I’m active. Sitting I think a hot hands would be amazing.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving this to ask if anyone has experience with the Hudson/Incinerator muffs from Sitka as well as the Marsupial muff? I run the Marsupial bino harness so it seems like a nice addition.

bond111

FNG
I’ve been using the Marsupial handmuff since early Nov, and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it. I also use my OR Merino 150 sensor liners.

My fingertips get so cold so fast, as I have Raynauds, but using this combo has been perfect.

I also have a pair of Black Diamond Equipment Absolute Mitts that are crazy warm. I don’t know why I waited so long to get some good quality mitts. I’ve gone through so many pairs of gloves over the years, and none have been anywhere close to the 3 items in my rotation

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Marsupial handmuff since early Nov, and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it. I also use my OR Merino 150 sensor liners.

My fingertips get so cold so fast, as I have Raynauds, but using this combo has been perfect.

I also have a pair of Black Diamond Equipment Absolute Mitts that are crazy warm. I don’t know why I waited so long to get some good quality mitts. I’ve gone through so many pairs of gloves over the years, and none have been anywhere close to the 3 items in my rotation
I’ll definitely check that stuff out. Still curious about the Sitka muffs, I get a really generous discount from them. They don’t necessarily seem as durable though because they don’t have the 500D cordura face.

So far I’ve just been wearing Kuiu Guide X gloves underneath the Sitka stormfront GTX gloves. They do okay but not much once I sit in the wind glassing for awhile

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Mittens. I use OR Alti mits and Arc'teryx ice climbing gloves as liners. Down to negative 10 or so I just use the outer shell of the Alti's.