Cold weather hunting- layering system recommendations

PhillyB

WKR
I will be going on my first late season hunt to Idaho in late November- early December. I have nothing in the way of cold season gear. Everything I own is early season, bowhunting gear. It will still be spot and stalk hunting, but I want to make sure I am adequately prepared.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on what I should be looking to buy to stay warm and dry.

Here is a list of my stuff...
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Core 4 element 190 Merino Wool Base layer
Teramar med weight base layer
wool socks, snow gloves, etc...

Thanks in advance.

7mag.

WKR
In late November, when it gets down to the teens and twenty's all day, I wear soft rain gear that doesn't breathe well for an outer layer, with a good base layer under neath on bottom and top and a fleece layer on top. If you are stillhunting and it's that cold, you won't sweat like earlier in the year, and that rain gear will help trap the heat you produce to help keep you warm. That's the only time I can stand to wear my Rivers West type pants. Or, if it's real cold and dry, I'll wear a heavy wool outer pant and my Filson Double Mackinaw wool coat.

with youre gear list there im good to around 20deg moving. its the spotting time that gets me. id look at puffy layers for the time sitting like a spindrift or kelvin and kelvin or mountain hardwear compressor pants
edit:
plus a good hardshell, 3 layer if you can afford it, 2.5 layer if youre budget is like mine..

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Are you hunting from a backpack or a base camp?

We will be hunting from a base camp. Lots of glassing and sitting, but no still hunting. The only time we will be moving is from ridge to ridge or on a stalk.

akrdkill

WKR
Merino base layers, Fleece mid, compressor jacket, compressor pants, chugach outer to block wind or rain. I had a guide jacket & didn't find any value to it But that's just me

bounds

WKR
I would take a look at the Transcendant jacket from Outdoor Research. They are 650 fill down so they're a little cheaper than the higher end down jackets but it still weighs only 13 ounces. I've had one on and they fit great and are really warm.

Mike7

WKR
If you are fine with using down fill like you should be that time of year up here I think, then you can find a good 800 fill down jacket (and sometimes even a primaloft jacket and pants) like a Marmot often on the Dept of Goods web site or Mountain Gear web site for less than $100. That's where I got mine. My Marmot 800 fill down jacket weighs less than a pound even in a small waterproof compression sack and is very warm.

As these guys said, get a good puffy layer in there and I think you'll be good to go.

I have an old military wool sweater thats super thick that I just can't get rid of. I wear a merino base, then a heavy polypro long-T, the wool sweater, and my C4E element jacket or River's West. If hunting from a backpack I'll swap that wool for the spindrift and pack a small poncho instead of the RiversWest. However I don't usually do any backpacking in November, about the latest I'll go is 2nd-3rd week in October where its not too horrible but sure gets cold enough for me!

Mike

dotman

WKR
Ok I'll get flamed for this but for my cold season gear I do really like my cabelas wooltimate gear, it is heavy but not that bad and keeps you nice and warm but breathes a little plus if it gets wet it drys quickly since it is a wool blend. It is quiet also unlike my spindrift.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
No issue with the wool stuff if your operating out of a base camp. : )

Ditto on the Primaloft stuff. Lots of options out there. I like the Montbell Thermawrap stuff if you can find it on sale.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, when hunting in colder temps, good insulation (i.e. puffy layers) are essential! My coat and pants (Barney's Supercub and MH compressor pants) are along on every trip we take, and I have bivied out in them comfortably down to around 30 degrees. For later season hunts, or trips where nasty weather is expected I add additional merino base layers (top and bottom) as well as a Windblock or puffy vest.

Need some Primaloft. I love my Sitka kelvin. Warmest piece of gear I own.

Agreed! Just back from Kodiak, where I lived in my Kelvin vest pretty much anytime i wasn't hiking. I was initially off put by the fact that it fits me poorly (men's medium is quite a bit too big for me, but I guess they don't make a small), but once I realized how awesomely warm it was I stopped caring and reveled in the extra volume :)

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
As others have mentioned, when hunting in colder temps, good insulation (i.e. puffy layers) are essential! My coat and pants (Barney's Supercub and MH compressor pants) are along on every trip we take, and I have bivied out in them comfortably down to around 30 degrees. For later season hunts, or trips where nasty weather is expected I add additional merino base layers (top and bottom) as well as a Windblock or puffy vest.

Agreed! Just back from Kodiak, where I lived in my Kelvin vest pretty much anytime i wasn't hiking. I was initially off put by the fact that it fits me poorly (men's medium is quite a bit too big for me, but I guess they don't make a small), but once I realized how awesomely warm it was I stopped caring and reveled in the extra volume :)

First for Becca...I have found that the Sitka Open Country pieces are cut more "athletically" than the Forest pieces. If you have the Forest, one in OC might fit you better.

Idaho is COLD in late season. Kelvin vest are so small packed up, I would have one in my pack, but I would rather have the Kelvin Jacket to put on OVER my other "hiking" clothes for glassing. I would also pack an Incinerator Hat and some good warm gloves.

What are you coming out to hunt? What area?

I will be battling the elements most of Dec here in Idaho with a Deer and Elk tag, then lion shortly after. I plan to wear the Guide Pants, First Lite EXP base layer on the bottom. On top will be the Llano, Chama Hoodie and guide vest while hiking, with the spindrift in the pack while glassing...

Last year I wore Sitka Ascent with a base layer, then llano top with a wool sweater and my 90% jacket.. I was just fine..

Lots of hiking and glassing.

Best of luck!! Not many hunts that time of year, so I'd bet we may be in the same area... Take care!

2rocky

WKR
In My time hunting North Idaho in the Early '90's (GAWD I sound old), I wore Army surplus wool pants, with Hoffman pac boots, LL Bean Down Vest, and a Woolrich Heavy wool jac-shirt over poly pro base layers. I still have all those except the poly pro.

Today there are a lot of brand name options marketed as a system to choose from.

The new Badlands momentum pant is the first I've seen with a integrated removable gaiter. Pretty unique. Might come in handy in the snow, especially if you aren't going to invest in Pac boots. I had a chance to get some hands on time with it.

In My time hunting North Idaho in the Early '90's (GAWD I sound old), I wore Army surplus wool pants, with Hoffman pac boots, LL Bean Down Vest, and a Woolrich Heavy wool jac-shirt over poly pro base layers. I still have all those except the poly pro.

Today there are a lot of brand name options marketed as a system to choose from.

The new Badlands momentum pant is the first I've seen with a integrated removable gaiter. Pretty unique. Might come in handy in the snow, especially if you aren't going to invest in Pac boots. I had a chance to get some hands on time with it.
90% of mountaineering pants have the integrated removable gaiter. lately I've been running these with great results
http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-guide-pant-66515/

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
What does everyone recommend for gloves?

I would love some links to what everyone has had good success with...