Cold weather hunting pants

What’s your preferred cold weather pant for hunting…looking for something that is comfortable to hike in. Do you double layer? Needs to handle November and December temps in Colorado.

When mobile, Kuiu Attacks or Pro pants work well; Talus does as well. When idle, throw on a base layer (whichever makes the most sense for the given temperatures).

BBob

WKR
I run warm so hiking at altitude in the snow I don't need much if I'm moving. Kuiu Attack and light merino 145 zip offs if it's cold enough. Same if I'm split boarding (snowboard thing), I'm in light breathable bibs with the same 145 merino zip off.

4ester

WKR
Kuiu Attacks with merino base layer for me. Although long sits glassing leaves me cold. Pack my woobie for that reason sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of OR pants that I generally use, however I did pick up a pair of Patagonia pants that are closer to a soft shell type material for my post January excursions.

Generally my legs stay warm due to moving, but I’ve thought about wearing compression tights under the pants for warmth and recovery after the days events. Maybe even sleep in them.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got the First Lite Catalyst Foundry Pants and have been really impressed with them. Fleece lined for warmth, but also has the full length leg zips to dump heat when needed. Waterproof seat and knees are really handy when there is snow on the ground.

bccowboy

FNG
The Sitka Timberline Pants with a wool baselayer over weren't terrible. I like the fit and I didn't get too hot, but when I stopped I would freeze, but I also had poor boots and a poor jacket. This year I'm trying a down overpant that I can pop on when I stop.

Rizzy

WKR
My second season with the Kryptek Bora. I really like them for cold wet weather. I will still use a merino base layer under them if I’m sitting and glassing.

If wind and cold are factors I want a windproof pant, something like the Thunderhead works well for me in very cold but windy conditions. My Timberlines just don't stop the wind, even with a base-layer on. However, I am not referring to mild wind.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Kuiu zip off merino base layer, under a pair of prana’s or if it’s really cold, under an old army surplus pair of wool pants (love these btw). I use Kryptek Vellus A LOT in the winter but usually don’t hike very far while wearing it, I just run too hot. Base layer and Vellus though works well in zero or sun zero rabbit hunting conditions or late season cow elk tags. Base layer and chugach also works well in snow if you are being active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
Kryptek Vellus is vesatile for cold weather hiking or setting. For extreme cold, while sitting in a stand or blind all day, Aegis bibs.
The Vellus are the bomb. I wear those down to about 0* and from there on down I use my Cabelas Wooltimate Pants which are freaking awesome in the cold.

gday5

FNG
I run the Nomad barrier pants in the late season with a merino base layer. They are fleece lined and handle snowy conditions well in my opinion. They are also a lot cheaper than the Kuiu/First Lite/Sitka pants. I will say I definitely get cold sitting for hours, however, if I'm mobile most of the day, it is plenty.