Cold weather layering for guys that sweat

harris611

FNG
I have the same issue and a couple changes really helped me. I switched to Sitka Stratus bibs that have double zippers all the way to the hip, so I can unzip bib front and open the legs all the way up on the walk in. Sounds simple but it has made a huge difference. Also, I switched from a backpack that always made my back sweat to a Badlands Monster Fanny Pack that holds a boatload of stuff and has a shoulder harness, but keeps everything on your hips, thus letting my back get more air. Between these two things I think I just heat up so much less than before that the sweating has become a non issue for me.

excaliber

WKR
I run into the same problem as we need to gain some serious altitude most of the time and I will sweat big time while doing it. I hike in a light T shirt and or a really light LS shirt in cold temps. I use a Cabelas made in the shade fishing shirt allot as it's the perfect weight for hikes uphill.
When I get to where we need to be I strip down/ dryoff and put my hunting layers on top.

Depending on temps it will maybebe a Sitka LS lightweight baselayer then a single layer like a Traverse Zip T. I don't see how people can hike in any kind of jacket.
I can do 30 degrees with just a light baselayer and a Zip T unless the wind is really blowing.

AkRyan

WKR
Dress lighter on you hikes in and pack insulation in your bag for when you stop. If your sweating your hot...cool off!

Spoonman

WKR
When I am hiking in or doing something that I know I’m going to heat up I dress lighter. I run extremely hot and even if it’s below freezing on a hike in I’ll just wear a long sleeve base layer and I very light beanie or not at all to let the heat escape. Once I get to where I’m going I’ll layer up. This is the only way I can stay half way regulated.

I have been stacking the first lite wick hoodie and the first lite kiln hoody and I will hike with just that (usually have the kiln zipped all the way down) I think the wick moves the moisture into the kiln and at least in the dry climate here in eastern MT I dont' feel cold or wet once I stop.

upon stopping for a sit, I will throw on my shell if it's windy, and kuiu zip off bottoms are great for extending periods of inactivity.

That Wick / Kiln hoody stack keeps me both warm and cool in the teens and 20's while out hiking.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been experimenting while scouting this past month. For the bottom end. I have( for myself) figured out the wick bottoms and a pair of kanabs works best. The jury is out on the tops. I’m going to try a few things I’m waiting on out of the classifieds. So we’ll see

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Sweating is always an issue... I found Kings Camo has some zip base layer bottoms and going to try them this year if it's cold enough. They are a heavy weight and have used them some at work. Kings Camo preacher pants also have zippers on the sides so you can get some airflow... but they run small in the thighs, so if you order some you might get a larger set. I can rarely use base layer bottoms, even if its snowing on me so I am looking forward to having some extra airflow... I also use the Kings Camo gaiters to keep my pants dryer and if going through brush, saves some wear and tear on my pants. I wear a summer time ball cap and carry a beanie for sitting/glassing. Depending on temperatures and wind, I have a windproof jacket and a vest that I carry and have a duckworth jacket that packs down small (looks like puffy but was a lot cheaper at $120). Like many of you, I end up carrying my jackets more than wearing them.

There is a lot of good info on this thread and I have definitely picked up a couple ideas. Thanks!

mikey

FNG
I don't sweat much but I like my outer wear to have vent zips in them. My coats and pants have them and when I start to over heat I just start unzipping. As I start to cool when I stop I start zipping everything back up.
^
i wont buy anything without vent zips, large as possible. otherwise i'll drown in sweat

leave them fully open when moving

here's the 'magic' setup that works for me. i use it in the mountains down to about 20F and i stay dry:

1. thin as possible base layer - think silk level thinness
  2. thin wool sweater - so thin you can breathe through it easily or see light through it
  3. wind shell with open vents on top

you should feel just slightly chilly, warm but not "comfy cozy" warm - thats how you know there is evaporation going on

bpietila

FNG
Wiggy’s fishnet base layers are worth a look. I don’t use them when it’s below 10 or so, but they work great for minimizing sweat between 10-40 degrees. Probably works when it’s warmer too but I’ve never used them in warmer temps.

This. It amazing how the ultra thin layer helps speed up evaporation. Like doubles it. The merino stuff is fragile that thin so you have to baby it taking it on and off but for hiking this set up can't be beat.
^
i wont buy anything without vent zips, large as possible. otherwise i'll drown in sweat

leave them fully open when moving

here's the 'magic' setup that works for me. i use it in the mountains down to about 20F and i stay dry:

1. thin as possible base layer - think silk level thinness
  2. thin wool sweater - so thin you can breathe through it easily or see light through it
  3. wind shell with open vents on top

you should feel just slightly chilly, warm but not "comfy cozy" warm - thats how you know there is evaporation going on

I peel off layers when I gotta push it and get physical or on the hike in & out. Venting helps as does having the right hat and knowing when to remove it. Your head is a great regulator.

mikey

FNG
Wiggy’s fishnet base layers are worth a look. I don’t use them when it’s below 10 or so, but they work great for minimizing sweat between 10-40 degrees. Probably works when it’s warmer too but I’ve never used them in warmer temps.
lol never thought i'd be googling "fishnet underwear", at least not for myself!

pretty interesting... long history, including being used by commandos in WW2

Bullmark

FNG
Classified Approved
Lots of good comments here. I’ll add that for years my feet would get so cold it would be painful. Then I started putting the scent free deodorant/anti perspirant all over my feet just before my socks. I use a thin silk liner sock, then a fairly thick merino wool sock....first lite and Filson are good ones. Almost all of my hunting is stand hunting for deer, from my home state of Va to the Midwest and Canada. I too am a sweaty pig if I even think about moving.
Although I am stationary all day, I might walk a mile or more to get to my spot, and it’s a sweat fest. I keep it simple....I’ll wear a synthetic base top...Sitka core or Patagonia. I make sure my hands and face are covered enough to not hurt, and I’ll pack in everything else.
If it’s really bad I’ll take off the base and layer from the start. I’ve tried everything, and I do mean all of it. And once I’m settled and my body temp is back to normal, by far hands down the warmest wool on the planet is Woolx. It’s the softest, best made and warmest stuff ever.
It’s pricey, of course, but one base layer of heavy synthetic, the Woolx heavyweight hoody, and a down coat is all I’ve needed In single digits.
For the feet, the rubber dry shod arctic boot is ticket. Mine are a size larger than normal and I can move my toes freely.

jono_sk

FNG
What’s worked for me (well beyond just hunting) is OR’s Echo base layer top (I like the hoody one)- easily the quickest drying, breathable base layer I’ve ever used. A windshirt on top of that if needed (Patagonia Houdini or Black Diamond Alpine Start). For a mid-layer on the move nothing touches Patagonia’s Nano Air Light Air- sadly discontinued, but still available if you look (I recently purchased a backup one it’s so good).

Depending on conditions, the Nano Light over the base layer or Nano Light and windshirt over the base layer.

Like I said, this system is used almost year round for me.
Nano Air Light - how do you find it fits you? Slim fitting? I'm wondering between a medium or a large. I'm 5'11", 165lbs, 39" chest, 32" waist 😊. Thanks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nano Air Light - how do you find it fits you? Slim fitting? I'm wondering between a medium or a large. I'm 5'11", 165lbs, 39" chest, 32" waist 😊. Thanks!

my original was a Large (sold)- that's what I normally wear, but the XL fits better and as it's pullover- goes on/off much easier as well

I'd say Large in your case