Cold weather outer layer?? Opinions please.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. I am looking to purchase an additional jacket for cold weather hunting. Less that 20 degrees I think.

What I currently have is
1. First Lite Brooks down sweater
2.Kuiu Kenia ultra
3. And base layers from tshirt to 250 weight merino wool.
I would like to get a jacket good for really cold temperature that doesn’t weigh a ton of weight and is at least semi quiet if worn as an outer layer.
Down or synthetic are both fine.
looking for opinions on what you all use and like.
thanks!

Kifaru lost park parka is the business for me. Won’t keep you warm at 15 degrees if you are just sitting there by itself but with those other things it just might and definitely if you are moving around it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I just ordered a Sitka kelvin hoodie from mountain archery. I will wear mine with the wool top, peleton 97,kenai ultra,kuiu guide vest and also kuiu guide jacket.

I’m looking into this same thing right now.
One of the options I am considering is the Feathered Friends Helios.

Erictski

FNG
If you have a down jacket and the Kenai and wear them together, then I think a wind blocking shell is what would be needed to lock in the warmth of those jackets. Sitka Jetstream or Stratus. Both completely windproof and quiet.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a down jacket and the Kenai and wear them together, then I think a wind blocking shell is what would be needed to lock in the warmth of those jackets. Sitka Jetstream or Stratus. Both completely windproof and quiet.
Thanks for this reply. Do you know if one of those is quieter than another? I want it for bow hunting and really like the way you are thinking here.

Whisky

WKR
I have no experience with the Stratus, but in looking at their website I would say that it is the quieter jacket, as it's in the whitetail line, marketed as "ultra quiet" and is micro fleece.

I bow hunt all the time with a Jetstream over a puffy and it works. Shot a buck New Years Eve from a blind at 40yds, with about a half dozen does around. However, there are times when I move, or do something/catch something on it, and it seems noisy.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve changed mine up for the sake of weight and how packable the item is. I bought the status set but it proved to be way to bulky. I decided to go with the following for my tops. Brooks down, jetstream vest, kenai ultra, drake windproof fleece pullover and fuse crew base. It’s all very light and can be used as a set up adding or removing layers by temperature. Therefore eliminating owning a set up for every temperature possibilities. I also have a heavyweight zip t I can interchange. I always carry a lightweight rain suit. The Sitka dew point. It goes over the whole set up nicely and traps body heat

Erictski

FNG
Thanks for this reply. Do you know if one of those is quieter than another? I want it for bow hunting and really like the way you are thinking here.
Stratus quieter but the jet steam is not loud by any means. Killed a buck at 7 yards last season on a quiet day and he didn’t hear me.