Cold Weather Pant Recommendations

aron

WKR
What are your guys recommendations for pants when the temps drop? Looking for something warmer than Sitka timberlines and Kuiu guides. Prefer solid colors and does not need to be a hunting brand either. These pants will be used for hiking in and then stationary and glassing for a few hours at a time. They will also be used during snow conditions so water resistance or dwr is a must.

Are you open to using a puffy pant once you get to your glassing spot? I ask since if you are hiking in, depending on the terrain, you may get hot and sweaty wearing pants better suited for staying warm while sitting.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the same part of the country and I'll tell you what I do. I bought me a pair of Dickies Coveralls one size too big and wear them over my work clothes when riding my bike to work. Most of the time I wear basically what you wear to work, but sometimes I have to dress a little nicer. So I have a pair lined and unlined coveralls, depending on the outside temperture. I wear them to keep the wind off and to keep my "work clothes" from getting messed up.

OP
A

aron

WKR
Ideally I would be looking for a soft shell type and not puffy pants but might have to consider them. My legs don't seem to sweat much so preferably avoiding puffy pants would be one less thing to pack.

My experience is the same pair of pants doesn't work well for both hiking and glassing. I have worn the mountain harder compressors. They are decent. I am looking to get the kifaru lost park pants however. I think they might be far superior. Sweat can kill you if ita cold and windy out. Never tried hiking in puffy pants with them partially unzipped. Might work, not sure

KRoch

FNG
My experience is the same pair of pants doesn't work well for both hiking and glassing. I have worn the mountain harder compressors. They are decent. I am looking to get the kifaru lost park pants however. I think they might be far superior. Sweat can kill you if ita cold and windy out. Never tried hiking in puffy pants with them partially unzipped. Might work, not sure
You cannot hike in the lost park pants they run to hot unless it is extremely cold even with the zippers completely undone. Hike in and throw puffy pants on when you get to the glassing spot quieter and so comfortable when you sit for a long glassing session

Kuiu axis, their a mid weight fleece, with waterproof ass n knees. Imagine sweat pants with hip vents n some waterproof stuff.

If it's gonna be below say 15° for a majority of whatever I'm doing I'll put the talus hybrids away for the Axis.

I run currently
-some sort of boxer
-kuiu 97 fleece zip offs
-axis pants
-FL uncompahgre pants
-sitka stormfront pants

That setup will get me from 15° to below zero long as I do my part to build some body heat prior to finally sitting down. If I need to I'll break out the woobie and be good for hrs behind glass.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk