Cold weather pants/bibs

Hello all,

First thread here after browsing for quite awhile and getting a lot of answers to questions I had.

I'm in the market for a warm outer layer of pants or bibs to wear in the treestand for temps in the 20s to low 30s on average, some teens, with average winds of say 5-10, some days 15+. I don't have to travel far to get to my treestand 10 minutes at most.

I'm a cold person in general so what others think isn't cold I'm probably freezing. I'm planning on pairing this with a Sitka Fanatic. I've seen the Fanatic and Sanctuary bibs but I feel like they might be too bulky? I tried on the Wooltimate pants at Cabela's and they were too noisy for me.

I'm really liking my solitude bibs. Look for reasons to wear them, where I use to hate putting bibs on due to the bulk of my old ones. I think they are about perfect for my needs, which is stand hunting 25 degrees and up most of the time. I haven't had them long enough to get them in temps below 30 yet, but I'm sure they'll do just fine in the twenties. They'd probably be questionable in the teens though, especially if you're cold natured. You might be comfortable in them though with good layers underneath them. One nice feature is they have full length zippers that make getting them on over layers with boots on a breeze.

I have not used the Fanatics but have looked at them in stores. I don't recall them being all that bulky though. Think Sitka made some improvements to them this year also.

OP
C
I might go with the fanatic bibs once Sitka gets them back in stock. However I'll still need a warm pair of pants for when it isn't cold enough for the bibs.

Virtually any pair of pants could be coupled with some warm thermals and you would be good to go. My son wears some attack pants with some Cabela’s tree stand heavy weight bottoms underneath. He has done that into the high 30’s and does ok. He isn’t what I would call a hot body but he can take a bit of cold without complaining. I just looked and it appears Cabela’s doesn’t have those bottoms anymore, but I bet you could find some good thermals to go under a good wind blocking pair of pants that won’t be too bulky or noisy down to where the fanatic bibs could take over.

My preference this winter has been the axis pants with thermals under. My thermals are not heavy weight, but I switch between the Kuiu zip off 97 weights (their warmest) and some icebreaker merinos and some sort of skiing themselves I have. All have worked well for me and I have hunted down into the low 30’s/high 20’s in some combo of those. I will use my attack pants more for warmer (above 50) weather hunting.

We hunt in southern OK so it isn’t terribly cold but we have seen a fair share of freezing temps already this season.

We both have some Cabela’s bibs and jackets that we break out for when we believe it will be just super cold. For my son that is below freezing in his attacks. For me I would consider them in low 20’s and below. I haven’t worn them yet this season. The bow season is much longer than gun in OK so we have to be mindful of noise

Last edited:
OP
C
Might get the fanatic bibs. Just need to find a good mid layer pant and I should be good to go.

EKyhookr

FNG
Check out predator ambush bibs and jacket, I’ve got some in fall gray I’ll let go. They’re great, extremely warm. I just don’t use them much and bibs really aren’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Design and pocket layout plus the windproof/warmth makes Fanatic bib a very good choice. You can vent them if it is a bit warmer and wear less on top.....just do not walk far with them on. I have worn them up to 45* or so. Mine have decent handwarmer pockets for when I wear them with no top over them. Hard to put a temp on things like that because there are lots of other factors which influence how warm some piece of clothing is for an individual.

OP
C
Design and pocket layout plus the windproof/warmth makes Fanatic bib a very good choice. You can vent them if it is a bit warmer and wear less on top.....just do not walk far with them on. I have worn them up to 45* or so. Mine have decent handwarmer pockets for when I wear them with no top over them. Hard to put a temp on things like that because there are lots of other factors which influence how warm some piece of clothing is for an individual.
Yea I think I’m going to get the bibs once there back in stock. I have merino mid weight for my base layer. Just need to find a good set of pants for my mid layer.

Welcome. I did the fanatic vs solitude thing this year. Do a bit of a search. There were some good threads a couple of months ago on this topic.

After checking out the options, I went solitude and have used layers to take it down to low 20s. My temp zone was 20-40 so the solitude set works. If I was going to go to the teens regularly I would look into the sanctuary. Much warmer.

Fanatic is great but very specialized to stand hunting IMO. For those temps you may want to look at the incenerator.

PS. I sized both jacket and bibs up. Glad I did. They go on easily over what ever layers I am wearing, but they are probably slightly bulkier than is absolutely needed.

OP
C
Welcome. I did the fanatic vs solitude thing this year. Do a bit of a search. There were some good threads a couple of months ago on this topic.

After checking out the options, I went solitude and have used layers to take it down to low 20s. My temp zone was 20-40 so the solitude set works. If I was going to go to the teens regularly I would look into the sanctuary. Much warmer.

Fanatic is great but very specialized to stand hunting IMO. For those temps you may want to look at the incenerator.

PS. I sized both jacket and bibs up. Glad I did. They go on easily over what ever layers I am wearing, but they are probably slightly bulkier than is absolutely needed.
I tried on the large Fanatic jacket in the store while wearing a loose fitting sweatshirt so I think it should be okay when I get it and have my base layer on (medium weight) and my fleece zip-up. I think due to me being cold by nature the Fanatic was probably a better choice and I only stand hunt so it should be good.

Going to wait on some sales until I can find a nice pair of fleece pants and some heavy weight base layers and I should be good for the absolute lows of the teens I would be in.

If you're thinking of going with the fanatic, you might want to check it out at a local store if you have one that carries Sitka. I was in one of my local stores yesterday and they had fanatic sets in stock.

OP
C
If you're thinking of going with the fanatic, you might want to check it out at a local store if you have one that carries Sitka. I was in one of my local stores yesterday and they had fanatic sets in stock.
I tried it on in store but ordered it online because of a discount I had.

rich99

FNG
I have the fanatic jacket and bibs, love em both. I usually don't wear a bottom base layer with the bibs unless i use the stratus pants so i can take the bibs off mid day and walk around. Way too hot to walk with the fanatic stuff on.

For stationary hunting, do look at Arctic Shield. Have taken them down to -12* F (not counting wind) with zero issues. Watch the exertion or you will sweat.