Cold weather pants

HiMtnHntr

WKR
My browning wool is over a decade old now and the zipper finally gave out. I'm partial to wool because it has worked for me, but will consider other options.

If you was needin some new britches for cold weather, what would ya get?

Whisky

WKR
I have no experience with them, but I know people who do, and love them. If I was buying for my self today, I would be trying a pair of the Filson Mackinaw Field pants, mainly because I'm curious how they stack up.....As it stands now, my Cabelas Wooltimate pants are still working great for extreme cold sits.

matthewmt

WKR
I found a pair of Woolrich wool pants at a thrift store like new for 5$ a while back so I want to try them if we ever get winter weather during rifle season here but other wise I picked up a pair of the sitka timberlines and have been pretty happy the few times I hunted them this year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
What is the intended use? Activity level high (mountain hiking) or low (glassing, sitting in a treestand). Makes quite a bit of difference!

ebays got those gallatins for sale, ive got a couple pair and have always liked them,KOM stuff ,filson and thriftshop wool bit i always carry something to block the wind

Seconds on the gallitians, Have two pair regular pants type and the bibs, works for me down too zero on a stand hunt. Personally I like the wool even if wet will keep you warm.

I use Codet wool pants. I used Woolrich Malone's for years when I worked in the woods and they were tough. The Columbia Gallatins are a good choice as well.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Re: "What is the intended use? Activity level high (mountain hiking) or low (glassing, sitting in a treestand). Makes quite a bit of difference!"

These will be primarily for active hunting in WY, but I do a fair amount of sitting too. The lined browning have worked well for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Whisky

WKR
Re: "What is the intended use? Activity level high (mountain hiking) or low (glassing, sitting in a treestand). Makes quite a bit of difference!"

These will be primarily for active hunting in WY, but I do a fair amount of sitting too. The lined browning have worked well for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

The Cabelas Wooltimate sound pretty similar to what you have now. They are lined as well.

BluMtn

WKR
Cabelas Wooltimate pants, Kryptek Vellus or Cadog's, KUIU Guides or Axis. Those are listed as starting with the coldest temps and moving to warmer temps.

I used to use army surplus wool. Upgraded to Sitka Mountain pants one year when I was going on a cold and windy (for Oregon) late season cow hunt. They are freaking amazing. Cut the wind, hard wearing, much lighter.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Cabelas Wooltimate pants, Kryptek Vellus or Cadog's, KUIU Guides or Axis. Those are listed as starting with the coldest temps and moving to warmer temps.

How's the fit on the woolimate? I tend to need a bit of a lower cut waist.

Kuiu Axis pants performed perfectly for me this year in late season hunting. Plenty of room for a base layer or two, yet fitted well to not drown in them. Would highly recommend.