Cold weather riding gloves/mittens

Hootybob

FNG
Any suggestions for good riding gloves when the temps dip below 20 degrees? I read a ton of info on this but, I thought maybe the guys sitting in the saddle all day may have some better or different suggestions, especially when dealing with stock.

I use military surplus arctic mitts. I bought six pairs years ago and they have been very good to -30. Everyone I ride with uses them. One pair I bought in 1977 and I just keep sewing the liners as they wear out.

Kenco leather insulated gloves from a truck stop or feed store do pretty well for 20 degrees*ish

I also have a set of the military surplus mitts with the wool liner. Then I have a thin merino wool glove underneath from minuss33 wool. That seems to be solid for unreasonably cold weather

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I use these liners under heavier gloves. it's amazing how well they work to keep my hands warm. Also have electric socks and a heated vest.

OP
Hootybob

Hootybob

FNG
I use these liners under heavier gloves. it's amazing how well they work to keep my hands warm. Also have electric socks and a heated vest.

A buddy of mine had some heater gloves like these, but a different brand...they worked great in the summer, but wasnt much pumpkin when it counted. I often wondered if there was another brand that actually worked. Thanks!

OP
Hootybob

Hootybob

FNG
Kenco leather insulated gloves from a truck stop or feed store do pretty well for 20 degrees*ish

I also have a set of the military surplus mitts with the wool liner. Then I have a thin merino wool glove underneath from minuss33 wool. That seems to be solid for unreasonably cold weather
I went ahead and ordered a pr of the Kinco mittens. And I may even had an old pr of the military mitts somewhere (kinda forgot about them), just have to look through my old military gear. Thanks!

stev7975

FNG
Those are all good options for keeping hands warm in cold weather. But for riding I prefer light gloves for if/when shit hits the fan or I need to work on rigging. Horses necks are quite warm. I rest my rein hand on the neck and stuff my right hand in coat pocket. Another option is to stuff a hand warmer in the back of your glove. Amazing how well that works to keep hands warm.