Cold Weather Stakes Tips and Tricks

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a good amount of winter camping but typically with good snow where you can use deadman anchors or snow stakes. Lately I've been on a few trips where it it cold 10-20 degrees but without snow. On these trips I have bent a couple of the groundhog stakes that come with Seek Outside shelters trying to drive them into the ground and then broken a couple more trying to get them out the next morning. Any tips for cold hard ground where stakes are still required?

if you have water to spare. ive boiled water and poured it on the stakes to get them out. i’m in the same boat as you as far as getting them in. i just take it slow

I've done a good amount of winter camping but typically with good snow where you can use deadman anchors or snow stakes. Lately I've been on a few trips where it it cold 10-20 degrees but without snow. On these trips I have bent a couple of the groundhog stakes that come with Seek Outside shelters trying to drive them into the ground and then broken a couple more trying to get them out the next morning. Any tips for cold hard ground where stakes are still required?
Kevin from SO did a video on cold weather shelter set ups. He suggested using screws with frozen ground I'm pretty sure. You can check the video out on YouTube or I think its probably on their website as well. For sure their youtub channel though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As far as getting them out, if you just hit the stake a couple more times with a rock or whatever it USUALLY will loosen up the ground enough to get it out. When you first pound it in it's not stuck. It's when you stay a night or 2 that things settle around it and kinda seal it in. Hitting the stake SHOULD loosen things up again enough to get it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk