Cold Weather System

Whats everyone using for a cold weather layering system. Ive found the Sanctuary jacket/bibs combo in ASAt to be a great outer layer. along with

1600 gram alpha burley boots
Thermacell heated insoles
Merino socks
Merino base light
Fleece base heavy
Plaid wool shirt
First light Uncompagre puffy
STORMY kromer wool vest
Fingerless fl over light merino kuiu Gloves
Merino kuiu Neck gaiter
Kuiu merino Facemask
Kuiu Beanie

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500052717149.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500052717149.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 70

*zap*

WKR
I think the Fanatic jacket/vest with the handwarmer pouch is hard to beat. I use boot blankets with lighter weight boots. Good headgear is essential.

Ac338

WKR
My favorite setup is merino wool baselayers with my IWOM XT in Predator Fall gray camo as my outerlayer. I only wear light gloves even in negative temps to keep my anchor point more consistent, not once have my hands been cold with the built in handwarmer pouch.

nanuke22

FNG
I bought the Kenetrek Northern boot, my feet never got cold , I always wore the muck artics pro and my feet got cold. I wear my stratus gear with my heater body suit and was good with temp below zero..

Thess87

WKR
Heavy merino base. Set of another thermal layer. Kryptek alios pants. Hoodie. Sanctuary bibs. Berber fleece heavy scent lok coat

• Banned
OP
Southforkguy
I must add that i run a bit cooler than most and always need more clothing to stay comfortable. Im a fairly skinny guy 6'1 185

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Whats everyone using for a cold weather layering system. Ive found the Sanctuary jacket/bibs combo in ASAt to be a great outer layer. along with

1600 gram alpha burley boots
Thermacell heated insoles
Merino socks
Merino base light
Fleece base heavy
Plaid wool shirt
First light Uncompagre puffy
STORMY kromer wool vest
Fingerless fl over light merino kuiu Gloves
Merino kuiu Neck gaiter
Kuiu merino Facemask
Kuiu Beanie
How do you move with all of that on!?!?

First Lite Furnace base layers
Long-sleeve Poly-cotton button up shirt (helps protect merino base layer from brush)
Fleece Pullover
Woodbury Jacket
Obsidian Pants
Insulated Bibs (Drake brand)
Merino socks (with a liner sock underneath if cold enough)
Muck Woody Max boots
Lightweight merino gloves + handwarmers
Merino beanie

^^^the layering system I used this past season. Fared well down in the low 20s with windchill in the teens.

darn tough merino, toe warmers, 800 g lacrosse alphaburleys
sitka core and traverse base layers
cabelas berber fleece pants and pullover
if it's really cold i'll add a cabelas primloft puffy jacket
neck buff, stocking cap over baseball hat
gloves are where i struggle. i typically run something thinner and use the kangaroo pocket on the pullover with a handwarmer.

renagde

WKR
I was pretty happy with my setup this year. The coldest I hunted was upper 20's sitting in a tree stand on top of a ridge absorbing a 10-15 mph wind. I was able to do a 5 hour sit in the morning and 4 hour sit in evening.

Top I wore from core to outer
REI merino base layer
Sitka Apex hoody
Kuiu Guide DCS Vest
Kuiu Super Down Jacket
Under Armour Rut jacket

Bottom I wore
First Lite merino base layer
REI merino baselayer
Sitka Dewpoint Rain pants (windproof layer under my outer wear)
Under Armour Gundpowder Pants

I wore Lacrosse Aerohead 5mm boots with wool socks. On my head I had a Sitka Jetstream beanie with a Sitka neck gaiter, and used Sitka Mountain gloves.

Even with all these layers I felt pretty mobile and had no problem drawing my bow. I'm debating investing in a Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs, which would minimize the amount of layers I have to wear.

Lawnboi

WKR
Got a few years on a set of fanatic stuff. Pretty much good till it hits single digits for me. Don’t like that it picks up every briar in the woods but it’s quiet. The atheletic fit sometimes bugs me, but then again iv never had a problem shooting my bow with it on, and the fabric doesn’t bunch up in the wrong places.

A good hat is a must. Of all the hats I’ve worn Sitka hats have been the warmest.

I run a light glove, traverse or fanatic and keep my hand in the kangaroo pocket with a warmer when needed.

Feet I used schnees pac boots this last year. I’m done with rubber, mucks always froze my feet for sits longer than a few hours. Various wool socks and warmers when needed.

Baselayers for cold are always Sitka mid weight next to skin. A heavier fleece on top and bottom when colder.

I’m elbow deep in Sitka. It works good but is pricey. Hasn’t disappointed yet

Schnees pacs with toe warmers. Boot blankets if it's nasty.

Cabelas berber extreme parka and bibs over first lite merino base..

Might add a wool sweater pants and vest as needed.

Warm hat from sleeping indian wool.

I only use a light wool glove and handwarmers in my pockets.

I have survived many all day sits in brutal cold. Never suffered too bad.....lol

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
My outer layer has been Sitka Incinerator bibs and parka, then a layer of heavyweight fleece to and bottom (I found fleece waders pants that have stirrups that work great.) Base layer is generally a mid weight merino. Liner socks with heavyweight wool socks over that, and Muck Arctic Pros over that. Fleece neck gaiter, insulated/windproof balaclava, with an Underarmour fleece beanie over that. Gloves vary....usually lightweight, with a muff and handwarmers, sometimes the Sitka Incinerator mitts/handwarmers. I just picked up a First Lite Sanctuary parka, slightly used/like new, and that may replace the Incinerator parka. The problem with the Incinerator is that it is not completely silent in real cold. I think the Sanctuary will be.

The key to all this is not getting TOO sweated up on the way in....impossible to not sweat some if you've got a fairly long walk in over uneven terrain with snow. My toes/fingers have always been my Achilles heel, so to speak....I've never found toe warmers that work. Heat packs have been a life saver for my fingers.

I'm patiently waiting for a Pnuma heated vest....if they ever become available again, and am seriously in the market for some GOOD battery heated socks.

I also own the Artic Shield body suit.....a PITA...
But when all else fails....

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I would add that I have successfully bow hunted in this setup or close to it down into the -20° - minus 25° F (below the doughnut, as they say here). That is, I've killed deer.... one a doe, the other a small buck. When it gets that cold, it is s mindset, kind of a me against nature thing.... easy to talk yourself out of going. It can be dangerous too. Always make sure someone knows exactly where you are, and pay close attention to your body. Hypothermia is real and deadly.

OP
Southforkguy
Milhouse it sounds like we hunt in close to the same brutally cold conditions. Like when single digits is still a good day to sit 6 hours or more. The sanctuary is silent is extreme cold, my next item to purchase will be boot blankets. Two of my buddies rock heated insoles along with boot blankets and highly recommend this setup

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Milhouse it sounds like we hunt in close to the same brutally cold conditions. Like when single digits is still a good day to sit 6 hours or more. The sanctuary is silent is extreme cold, my next item to purchase will be boot blankets. Two of my buddies rock heated insoles along with boot blankets and highly recommend this setup

I actually forgot I picked the Arctic Shield boot blankets! Impulse buy this winter..... I've read where guys are going with heavy socks/ boot blankets and warmers. I think the problem I've had in the past with the chemical warmers in boots is the lack of oxygen they need to work. They have never done a thing for me, inside boots....even the ones specifically made to go "in boots"....

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Heater Body Suit for cold weather tree stand hunting. You carry it in like a sleeping bag, with a harness to throw over your shoulder (like a backpack), then put it on in the tree. Very warm and easy and quick to get a shot off. Quiet too for bowhunting.

OP
Southforkguy
I actually forgot I picked the Arctic Shield boot blankets! Impulse buy this winter..... I've read where guys are going with heavy socks/ boot blankets and warmers. I think the problem I've had in the past with the chemical warmers in boots is the lack of oxygen they need to work. They have never done a thing for me, inside boots....even the ones specifically made to go "in boots"....

Me either, my feet stay fine in the alpha burleys merino socks and those thermacell insoles even though im not impressed for 90 bucks the batteries should last lomger. Blankets over that and gtg