Cold Weather System

Heater body suit is tough to beat. 0 and negatives are common here late season, add high winds ripping off the great lakes, and I wouldn't be able to sit in that without it. I bought some carhart bibs for work probably start wearing that too under it on real cold windy days, the wool I have just doesn't stop the wind like carhart. I usually walk in with cheap rubber boots and carry my pacs in a pac-frame. I sweat too much to wear my gear in

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Base: Polar weight fleece Cabeles long underwear ( the cheaper brown ones, no zone insulation)

Midlayer: wool "Alaskan shirt", old but still works, and heavy fleece Alaska Guide pants. Apparently lots of stuff is named for Alaska at Cabeles

Extra insulation: synthetic down vest, PrimaLoft knock off, but packable and warm.

Insulated outerwear: Dry-plus coveralls with Thinsulate when it's cold

Cabeles Stand Hunter extreme when it's very cold.

I carry and put on at my stand if more than a short walk, or 100 yards for dry-plus and 50 for the extremes. So, I really never walk in the extremes.

Headwear: gore-tex and Thinsulate woodsman cap and I wear my hood if I get cold.

Footwear: Mickey Mouse boots.

Gloves: gore-tex and hand warmers in pocket are a must.

This system is in need of an upgrade as it's heavy and the lack of a safety pass through is inconvenient. But it has kept me warm for years and I'm a skinny guy who gets cold easy.

ChrisAU

WKR
I shout this from the roof tops every chance I get, two things revolutionized tree stand hunting for me this past season:

1 - Injinji toe socks. Takes up the room between your toes. No pockets of air to get cool.

2 - Putting a glassing pad on the foot rest of the stand. I felt like an idiot when I realized I was complaining about my feet getting cold after I set my big rubber block soles on a metal frame in freezing weather and wondered what was going wrong. Now I always have half of a thermarest cushion strapped to my pack, weighs 1 oz.

Mike 338

WKR
  • Whatever long johns that are the least thread-bare (no cotton).
  • Thick wool blend socks (some that match and some that don't).
  • Kennetrek uninsulated Mountain Extremes or USAF mukluks or Micky Mouse boots.
  • Gaiters sometimes.
  • Military surplus wool pants.
  • Medium weight wool shirt (mostly cause I like the pockets).
  • Heavy wool sweater.
  • German surplus hard-shell goretex raincoat.
  • Baseball cap w/stocking cap.
  • Backup expedition weight long johns, socks and down coat in pack.