Cold, Wind, Snow and Wet: Softshell Conditions

OP
doverpack12
Would like to hear some feedback on the Jetstream vs the Axis once your friend gets hands on it. Are you on the same page that the guide isn't as wind resistant/warm as the jetstream? so the comparison of jet/axis is a fair head-to-head?

I am in agreement the Guide isn't as wind resistant or warm as the Jetstream. The guide DWR does hold out longer than the Jetstream for the outer fabric but with the goretex wind barrier the inside of my Jetstream never has gotten wet but it will gain alot of weight from moisture on particularly wet days.

We both wear the same size so hopefully we will both have a good feel for what each jacket can do.

Benjblt

WKR
I’d personally lean the other direction from most it sounds like - I want breathability more than a laminate in a softshell. I think the jetstream and a lot of windstopper pieces are nice, but when I’m moving I sweat a ton more in windstopper it seems. Pieces like the guide series, first lite catalyst, etc that don’t use a laminate seem a better balance of weather resistance and breathability for me - I think the trick is how you use it. I use mine to replace a mid layer fleece a lot of times. If I was running a softshell like an outer shell all of the time, I’m betting the windstopper pieces would have more appeal.

Nothing wrong with your approach but I think the general consensus and purpose of a softshell is for it to be an outlayer and a protective piece. I think the Guide misses the mark. Have you used the Catalyst? How does it compare to the Guide?

Last edited:

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have experience with the jet stream. The water and wind resistance on the axis was very good. 7 hours of snowboarding in non stop heavy sleet and snow I stayed dry, never bothered by the 20mph gusts in the low 30 degree temps, that’s not to say the jet stream won’t perform as good or better though because Iv never had it. Sizing on axis I’m 5’10 180lbs athletic build large is perfect so I can use it as an outer on the move or mid layer under puffy glassing

Nothing wrong with your approach but I think the general consensus and purpose of a softshell is for it to be an outlayer and a protective piece. I think the Guide misses the mark. Have you used the Catalyst? How does it compare to the Guide?

My buddy has a Catalyst. Less wind proof than the Guide. I’d rank it near the Chinook, which for my uses, means it’s pretty darn useless.