Coldest Temp you have camped/hunted in?

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago in Colorado my buddy had two cow elk tags (special hunt). He got both of them down right at dusk. No problem, we'll gut them out and come back in the morning to quarter and haul out. Oh shoot, it's -15 degrees, if we come back in the morning we better bring a chainsaw to quarter. Got back to camp at 3AM. Long cold night.

Chevyman

FNG
Kodak island for sure. Was up there for training and got to go on a 4 day hunt. Between the cold, wind and snow/ice I was ready to leave. Windchills below -10.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been on some cold winter moose hunts, snow machining around etc, without wind chill in the -20s. As far as camping, hard to say I was a pretty serious mountaineer for many years, had some cold nights out.

BluMtn

WKR
Two years ago we spent a week floating 60 miles down the Missouri river the last week of Nov in a 14' rowboat. The high during the day was 0 and the evenings would get down to -15 or -20. The last day of that trip we were having to break ice in the river to continue down stream. Luckily we only had to break it for about 5 miles from our pull out. Three years ago it stayed around 10 to -10 the whole time we were hunting. 5 years ago it stayed right around a steady -5 the whole time and was a heavy overcast with no sun the whole time. I think that was the coldest because never saw the sun the whole time. With the right equipment it is not that bad of an experience.

Two years ago we spent a week floating 60 miles down the Missouri river the last week of Nov in a 14' rowboat. The high during the day was 0 and the evenings would get down to -15 or -20. The last day of that trip we were having to break ice in the river to continue down stream. Luckily we only had to break it for about 5 miles from our pull out. Three years ago it stayed around 10 to -10 the whole time we were hunting. 5 years ago it stayed right around a steady -5 the whole time and was a heavy overcast with no sun the whole time. I think that was the coldest because never saw the sun the whole time. With the right equipment it is not that bad of an experience.

RInella tells a story of floating the Mo in canoes and getting iced up, enough they decided to stop. His brother walked to Winifred, maybe a dozen miles or so from the river, goes into the bar and orders a beer, drinks it, then stands up and announces "who wants to make some money?"

Was your trip successful at least?

BluMtn

WKR
RInella tells a story of floating the Mo in canoes and getting iced up, enough they decided to stop. His brother walked to Winifred, maybe a dozen miles or so from the river, goes into the bar and orders a beer, drinks it, then stands up and announces "who wants to make some money?"

Was your trip successful at least?
LOL. Same pull out. The two guys with us in Kayaks tagged out but my SIL and I were looking for something more than what we saw on that trip. I found river hunting that time of year to be a bit difficult with the river being so low that when you see game by the time you get your boat to shore and you find a place to tie off and get out of your cold weather cloths into some lighter gear that you can hike in your animal has long since left the country.

ChrisAU

WKR
-10 to -15 first couple nights at 10k+ for CO 1st rifle. Cold tent camp. It was chilly. Thing I remember most is waking up every couple hours because my eyeballs were cold.

Coldest I've hunted was -44ºF for predators. I've done several trips to the north slope in the winter where temps rarely warmed above -30ºF.

-35 temps in a slide in camper with electric. Snowed in @ that spot for more than a week. N/W Missouri.
It that with wind chill? -35 is low for MO

teens in a tent for camping. Found out why you need a winter 🥶 pad.

hunted in single digits and stayed in a camper. Easy button there.

I was hunting bobcats one year and when I got out of the truck it was -27 not counting the windchill.

Looking back all of the cats were underground and It was not worth it in my opinion.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Call me a fair weather hunter but I'LL probably never get the urge to car camp or bivy out in sub zero weather. I've done plenty of late season tree stand sits in that stuff but that's about it. Usually make it about 3-4 hours then have to leave because my feet go numb. Got to -48F air temp at my house in Minnesota a couple winters ago and it was brutal.

Squamch

WKR
Moose hunting in Northern BC 15ish years ago the beer that didn't freeze was in the cooler. Everything else froze. Left my old IDI ford running for 2 weeks straight. It just lulled us to sleep.

WCB

WKR
-40 real temp hunting coyotes...Hunted wolves 2 winters ago in Canada -35F real temp no heater for 5 days straight no heater in the blind.

redbarn

FNG
-40 real temp hunting coyotes...Hunted wolves 2 winters ago in Canada -35F real temp no heater for 5 days straight no heater in the blind.
Hunting bear on the Barents Sea with 2 Inuit guides. When the temp was the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius I knew we were in for a cold two weeks. The tent was double walled but no heat. Slept on caribou skins. Strange was the ice that would collect on the sleeping bag or tent wall where I exhaled during the night. Just frozen moisture from my breath.

Reactions: WCB

Axlrod

WKR
Elk hunting -36. in a 1964 Roadrunner the 5 gal. jug of water froze solid sitting on the floor overnight.
Late season -54. damage hunt in Lima, MT. for Deer/Antelope mid 1980's . Highway patrol had Interstate closed at Dillon, we talked them into letting us go through, as we had 2 fairly new trucks. 50 people were drawn, the 4 of us were the only ones to show up. Lady at the ranch asked us "What in the hell is wrong with you guys?" We were in our 20's and loved to hunt! Filled 2 deer and 1 antelope tag each.

grademan1

FNG
We have duck hunted in -20 from a boat in Ohio, it was a constant battle to keep the motor from freezing up.

The coldest hunt I’ve been on the temps got down to -10. I was very thankful for the canvas tent and stove. However I killed a cow elk in 2017 8 miles from the trail head and spent the night in a kifaru mega tarp with no stove. Hiking in the day before the temp was 4. I’m not sure how cold it got that night but when we packed up the next morning the elk was frozen solid in the game bags and made fitting them in the pack a chore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
Backpack hunting a couple times in -5F to -10F. Horse packing and car camping with a wall tent down to -30F. I distinctly remember using an axe to help quarter a frozen elk on the -30F trip. We were packed in 8 ish miles and when we dumped the horse feed to leave the deer came in droves, not caring we were standing 30 yards away.