Collecting Wild Mushrooms while you Hunt

Man, you are playing with fire if you are eating those. That is absolutely a toxic false morel. I'm not sure why someone would risk frying them up when there are so many good, safe mushrooms to eat.
I’m 57 have been eating them most my life . And most everyone I know. I do know of people that get really sick . Some on the white morels also.

Sodbuster

WKR
Muleskinner, what you are calling red morels are what we call Beefsteaks because that is their flavor.
I had a tasty batch last week.They pop up first every year,and are solid meat completely through the top. There is a similar variety called elephant ears that are hollow across the top. I do not eat them.
The small gray Morels start arriving about the same time as the Beefsteaks. Sometimes a full grown gray is a little bigger than a rasin.
Southern Missouri is now into the white and yellow Morels.North MO. is behind.

Muleskinner, what you are calling red morels are what we call Beefsteaks because that is their flavor.
I had a tasty batch last week.They pop up first every year,and are solid meat completely through the top. There is a similar variety called elephant ears that are hollow across the top. I do not eat them.
The small gray Morels start arriving about the same time as the Beefsteaks. Sometimes a full grown gray is a little bigger than a rasin.
Southern Missouri is now into the white and yellow Morels.North MO. is behind.
We call them calf brains in Idaho. By far my favorite mushroom. Just can't gorge yourself on them.

jmerc

FNG
received_2172655189454706.jpeg
From last season when doing trail work in Iowa. Half the time we were looking for mushrooms some days.

jmerc

FNG
I do have to say I prefer the flavor of pheasant backs and hope to find a lot more wild asparagus and ramps this season though. Maybe try some parsnips again too.

Has anyone had Bears Head Mushrooms? I found a bunch Elk Hunting near Packwood, Wa this year. We cooked them up is stir fry and in a grouse soup. We though it was a Cauliflower mushroom at first but, after some research we found out what they where. I also really like boletus mushrooms.