College vs skilled trades.

Poser

WKR
Anecdotal input here that would be interesting to find some real numbers on…

As an RN I personally care for what seems like a grossly disproportionate number of skilled trades workers that need major orthopedic surgery (including back surgeries) often at a relatively young age. Many times surgery doesn’t fix the problem, and some of these patients end up getting double digit surgeries. Although not common, there are a handful that I remember with pretty significant disability that won’t be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor like they probably envisioned.

I’m a member of a Business Networking group compromised of 40+ professionals across the spectrum. The blue collar business owners, all former practitioners in their respective fields, now dedicated to operations and growing their businesses, are all pretty broken down. It seems to more successful they are (and some of them are $$$$), the more physical ailments they have.

Semorbux

FNG
There seems to be a lot of hype around skilled trades lately. I think it's just that, hype. People will recommend learning a trade over getting a good college degree. I don't get it. Everyone and their mother claim these tradesmen are making 100k a year. A simple look at BLS average salaries says otherwise.

I'm not saying they're not needed. I'm just saying I think they have become overrated as career options lately.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Now, obviously, if you get a worthless degree then a skilled trade would be way better.
It really depends on the person. For some a college education is a must. Not everyone is made for the Trades.

Some make a great living in the Trades and others break their backs for peanuts. Really depends on your choice of trades, union vs non-union, your skill level and whether you can eventually use that skillset to strike out on your own or work into a position where you are no longer using your body as much as you get older.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the only college educated motherforker in my company - accounting. Even got my masters, passed the CPA the whole nine yards.

Every 'laborer' who has as much or more years of experience makes more than I do.

It's basic econ, supply and demand.

No one emphasized skilled trades ever, now that I'm a working man, I do have regrets.

Depends on so many things, I’m lucky enough my father paid for my public degree. It was a science degree and I make good money, my wife has a graduate degree also and makes better money. Our only debt is our home and we live comfortably. I don’t think college is for everyone, and don’t think trades are for everyone, but it sure seems like you can have a great life doing both if you do it right.

If you do it wrong, seems like both are great ways to end up stuck in poverty for the rest of your life so idk flip a coin and try to find something you like. I would support my children doing either.

Ask an Electrician in 8 years. Right at 53% of all electricians working today will be retired in 8 years. You think it's hard finding one now!?

WKR
I run a little business and make fine money at it. Enough that I'll happily keep doing my desk job. But a few recent things just around the house:

1. Got an estimate for having exterior of house painted. Painted half of it myself and then had the contractor's team do the high stuff. Pretty terrible work completed and $2,500 for the work in one day.
2. Had trim boards around about 14 windows needing replaced. So removal of boards, replacement, caulking, painting. First quote $19,000. Second quote $13,500. Said to hell with it, bought the materials did it myself including renting a boom lift for $380. Total cost of materials and boom $1800. I was one guy and it took me probably 30 hours of work.
3. Electrician hired to do some electrical. I won't touch the stuff. Master electrician who quit working for the man and started his own local place. First hour $150. Second and further hours were $100 an hour. Showed on time, very clean, courteous, would refer him in a minute. Said he is just booked for months.

At my age not really into the manual labor full time, but quite confident in this market that I could make a great living doing trim carpentry and painting. Keep my expenses low and it'd be no issue to have all the work I wanted. People don't even know how to paint anymore. We're very soft as a nation.

Paid for the kids to go to school. One is doing quite well in construction and the other is a biological engineer and also doing well. Either one could and someday should start their own business and crush it.

Jon Boy

WKR
For me the benefit with the trades is like described above. I can build a house from concrete to finish and cost about a 1/4 of what paying some one else to do. The current house im building for myself ill have 200k in equity in and it will take 3 or 4 months to do. And ill have maybe a 60k note.

The GC I sub to just built his forever home for 550k with the land. It appraises at 1.3. He's semi retiring next year at 34 after building and flipping a few houses of his own and running a 3 man crew for the last 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the only college educated motherforker in my company - accounting. Even got my masters, passed the CPA the whole nine yards.

Every 'laborer' who has as much or more years of experience makes more than I do.

It's basic econ, supply and demand.

No one emphasized skilled trades ever, now that I'm a working man, I do have regrets.
I don't know what job you're in, that's wild. A CPA in my region starts out about the same as an IBEW electrician. The average for a manager in Tax is $130k, which is the top end for IBEW 1, and there's still room to go up from manager.

Unless you're in government or non-profit and you're trading income for your work schedule, you're doing something wrong.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what job you're in, that's wild. A CPA in my region starts out about the same as an IBEW electrician. The average for a manager in Tax is $130k, which is the top end for IBEW 1, and there's still room to go up from manager.

Unless you're in government or non-profit and you're trading income for your work schedule, you're doing something wrong.
Or he works in the automotive industry.

schmalzy

WKR
Agree with it doesn’t have to be either or. Go to college and get a degree that has a tangible skill and demand. Don’t be pissed when it’s harder to find a 6 figure job with an art history degree.

Or work with your hands learning a hard skill that no one can take away and will always be in demand. Likewise in the trades, don’t be pissed or surprised when it’s 100 degrees, 100 percent humidity, and there’s no TP left in porta can.

Running your own show is cool but like others have said, you don’t get to press “pause” when things get tough, material prices sky rocket, your guys “can’t get it done”, or any other situation. Part of the game.

Plenty of money to be made by anyone that has a desire to succeed and refuses to be a victim.

I’m a construction guy. I enjoy it but I’d say it’s not for everyone. Thick skin and a good sense of humor are essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
Plenty of money to be made by anyone that has a desire to succeed and refuses to be a victim.

I’m a construction guy. I enjoy it but I’d say it’s not for everyone. Thick skin and a good sense of humor are essential.

This for me. Easy to make money in America. For now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I learned absolutely nothing in college. Most of the better corporate sales gigs require a bachelors degree. Good sales reps make $200k+. Great sales reps make $300k-$500k per year. I’ve been lucky but worked my ass off to get where I’m at. I would skip college and start up my own business if I know what I know now back then. Those years of working at big companies trained me so I’m not sure I would have been ready to go out on my own without it. I’m in the mass tort legal business.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure it really matters which way you go. Different strokes for different folks. I went to college but have never used my degree. I have always just wanted to work for myself. I grew up poor and always assumed the fastest way to change my family’s fortune was to work for myself. Make a reasonable salary and build an asset at the same time. At this point I would find it pretty hard to work for someone else although I may start consulting.
Cheers!

TSAMP

WKR
I'd say the ticket is a good stem related trade. Then get an employer to pay for additional schooling. Me and a buddy did two year robot welding degrees. Worked for a robotic company. They paid for his 4 year management degree and now he works for a bank. You can start in a trade and end up where you want. Just takes a plan.

TxxAgg

WKR
I learned absolutely nothing in college. Most of the better corporate sales gigs require a bachelors degree. Good sales reps make $200k+. Great sales reps make $300k-$500k per year. I’ve been lucky but worked my ass off to get where I’m at. I would skip college and start up my own business if I know what I know now back then. Those years of working at big companies trained me so I’m not sure I would have been ready to go out on my own without it. I’m in the mass tort legal business.

What kind of sales are you talking? Only sales guys I know making $300k+ are software guys.

MattB

WKR
One other consideration is union contributions to democrats, not sure I would feel great knowing I was paying dues to support people who wanted to undermine my way of life.

Trial153

WKR
Not sure why they should be mutually exclusive. But if I had to choose one it’s would be an advanced education.