Colo archery with youth need advice

Love to get some thoughts. I have 3 elk PP’s with CPW. I want to take my 13 year old this fall. He’s hunted with me several times since we lived in CO for 4 years but this time he can finally carry a weapon. I was thinking to burn my points on a quality hunt this fall. We are non-res now in case that comes into play.

Here’s where I see my options:
1. group application with my son in limited unit. You are drawn at lowest PP holder in group and that’s zero for him so unlikely to get drawn. No bueno.

2. Apply limited separately. We are both likely to get drawn with my points and the fact only a couple youths applied last year means he would get a good shot with zero points. However if only one is drawn we are toast. I thought we could just go hunt OTC but the limited tag holder cannot (I called).

3. Just hunt OTC and bail on limited.

I’m sure I’m missing something. Like waiting for draw and then asking for a refund if we are not both drawn then just buying OTC? Is that an option? What would you do?

Sorry for the long post but this draw stuff can get complicated.
Clay

cnelk

WKR
Straight up.
Use your PPs for a decent draw unit and just bring your son along to enjoy a LE hunt with dad.

Get him his own PP this year so next year he’ll not only have youth preference for tag allotment but also a PP.

Then next year you go with him on his hunt.

sndmn11

WKR
Get him a point this year, hunt where you please through the draw. When you tag and bag, see if he wants a go at it and go buy an OTC license at a CPW office or head home.

cnelk

WKR
Also, a little late as you probably know, your son could have 1 PP or possibly 2 by now, depending on his birthday.

If you play the PP game you have to think and plan at least 1-2 years ahead.

Some of my best hunts were standing behind my kids while they filled their tags and I never had a weapon.

OP
S
Thanks guys. That made up my mind. Great advice.

We will apply separately and either both draw or I will draw (if the stats hold) and he will pull a PP and be Sherpa and side kick.

Then next year I’ll be zeroed and as youth with 1pt he will actually get some decent limited odds and I will return the favor (he will still be Sherpa though).

Great memories no matter who actually pulls the string. He still talks about the bear encounter... the time we buried the truck back on a service road and had to hike out, etc. My wife calls them poor choices but I call them life lessons and bonding experiences. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Youth hunters have no preference in the draw for bull or either sex tags.

So if your unit takes 3 points for NR's to draw an either sex archery tag, your son has no chance of drawing that tag with 0 points.

Although they do get first preference in the new secondary draw

OP
S
Good catch on no youth preference. I didn’t realize that when I first scanned the stats.

It does look like 2 out of 3 youth applicants were pulled for EF tags in this unit with zero points so that looks like a viable option for the kid.

My 3 PPs should be good for my EE tag. 39 out of 42 drawn.

Nothing certain though. A non-res with 2 PP was *not drawn for an EF and the only other non-res to apply for EF had zero points and they were drawn. That’s how the ping pong ball bounced I guess.

Youth hunters have no preference in the draw for bull or either sex tags.

So if your unit takes 3 points for NR's to draw an either sex archery tag, your son has no chance of drawing that tag with 0 points.

Your right, officially they get no preference. I have seen youth hunters get tags they should not based on points.

bz_711

WKR
Good luck and have fun!
My son just turned 16 and looking to take him for first time for elk this fall...eyeing Muzzy season for him as rifle won't work with high school basketball schedule. I'm in a similar dilemma not knowing what I will do for myself...and very likely may end up not carrying any weapon this year (that's hard to swallow but the only acceptable/justifiable reason is if taking one of my kids instead :) )