Colonoscopy....

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Had my second at age 53 this month. First one resulted in bad prep. What a pia. Took me 3 years to get back. 4 small polyps no cancer. It feels really good getting over with.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Got word of a close, but older high school bud who won't likely make it though the night. He's about 59.
He was diagnosed with aggressive colon cancer that spread to his liver. He had not been scoped in years past.
Scott would likely be healthy and well tonight if he had scheduled a colonoscopy at 50, etc.. Get tested guys, this sh!t is so preventable.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Lost my Grandma at about 75 to it a month before I was born. My first procedure took a couple polyps at 48 y.o. since my nurse practitioner sister bugged the crap out of me to get one. My second was done last October and a couple more no problems.

I’d had a smear that was bad last summer that I turned in and they called about 2 weeks before I left for the WY elk bow hunt to schedule for Oct.
That gave me a lot to think about while I was out alone for 4 weeks of travel and hunting.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
I had posted in Sept of a high school bud who was in dire shape due to Colon cancer. He wasn't expected to make it mere days but he actually hung on for three months. Unbelievably tough guy.

A reminder to sked those 'scope tests in '23. If you're 50+ (or 40+ with a history of colon issues) get 'er done!

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah man...got to get these scopes/tests done. I know they're no fun, but there sure is a lot of peace of mind that comes after you've done them. And when you're over fifty (I'm 64), peace of mind counts for quite a lot.

fingers

FNG
I had posted in Sept of a high school bud who was in dire shape due to Colon cancer. He wasn't expected to make it mere days but he actually hung on for three months. Unbelievably tough guy.

A reminder to sked those 'scope tests in '23. If you're 50+ (or 40+ with a history of colon issues) get 'er done!
Just had my second one right before my 50th a few days ago. Too many stories like this. It's not that big a deal, just do it.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle who was a good man refused to get a colonoscopy when his health suddenly started deteriorating in his mid 70s. He was eventually diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and died three months later.

I just had my colonoscopy today. A day plus of aggravation, a quick painless procedure and you are done.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
My uncle who was a good man refused to get a colonoscopy when his health suddenly started deteriorating in his mid 70s. He was eventually diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and died three months later.

I just had my colonoscopy today. A day plus of aggravation, a quick painless procedure and you are done.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm 47 and just had my second one on Monday (first at 40 after Dad passed from colon cancer). Results were all clear and I'm good for another 5.

Quick note to the holdouts, there is the poop in a box method and the preventive colonoscopy that are both typically covered by health insurance. However, if you poop in a box and the results are inconclusive and they have to perform a colonoscopy it is coded as a "diagnostic" instead of preventive. In that case, you get to pay for it subject to copay/coverage. As a result, it may make the most sense just to go with the colonoscopy in the first place. Just my $.02.

Mosby

WKR
My wife just had surgery this morning for Colon Cancer. Her second go around. Found a tumor during her 3 year check up. Likely missed a polyp during her last colonoscopy that turned. Sometimes they miss them. Good new is that blood work from her annual check up identified a problem, did a colonoscopy and they think they caught it early. Stage 1 or 2 is a lot better than Stage 4....

Just do it fellas. If you wish to be all school boy about it, go ahead. But your family will thank you for taking care of yourself.

Recent diagnosis of a family member who is late 30s, colon cancer, mastesized, stage 4. Starting chemo soon. Much too young and odds are difficult. There is a lot of prayer these days.

Time to grow up and be responsible for those you love. Failure to do so could potentially change your view on the future, significantly.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had about 5 procedures now (68 years young), I’ve been on 3 year schedule, 5 or 10 year schedule (can’t remember) and now after the last one back to 3 year schedule. Time fly’s when you’re having fun.
It’s one of those things you got to do.

My wife just had surgery this morning for Colon Cancer. Her second go around. Found a tumor during her 3 year check up. Likely missed a polyp during her last colonoscopy that turned. Sometimes they miss them. Good new is that blood work from her annual check up identified a problem, did a colonoscopy and they think they caught it early. Stage 1 or 2 is a lot better than Stage 4....
Good luck, I wish you and your family well.

Just do it fellas. If you wish to be all school boy about it, go ahead. But your family will thank you for taking care of yourself.

Recent diagnosis of a family member who is late 30s, colon cancer, mastesized, stage 4. Starting chemo soon. Much too young and odds are difficult. There is a lot of prayer these days.

Time to grow up and be responsible for those you love. Failure to do so could potentially change your view on the future, significantly.
Amen to this. Lost Dad 9 years ago after 5 year battle with this horrible disease. Lost my big brother 4 years ago at 50 to ocular melanoma that spread to his liver and colon.

Life is short fellas. Cherish the moments with friends and family and quit talking about trips together and just do it!

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Thanks for the continued thoughts here guys, so wrong for people as young as 30's to be dealing with it, but it is what it is.
Hopeful for good outcomes here with these tougher diagnoses.