Colonoscopy....

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Well done, fellas. It's a pain in the as.... well, you know.
Worth getting the peace of mind and heads up if there's an issue.

johnsd16

WKR
Got my first this morning. The preparation between fasting and laxatives was miserable, and uncertain. I read that 25% of the procedures are terminated early and rescheduled due to poor prep results. I was examining the yellow water last night in the attempt to discern sufficient clarity. Thinking about repeating it kept me up more than dreading the thing! With the anesthesia I couldn’t tell what was going on. So the procedure wasn’t bad. The IV poke was the worst part to be honest.
Prep adequacy in most studies runs closer to 88-90% or more. For new preps trying to make a place in the market, they need to be 92% or better. In practice it’s at least that much. It is a one size fits none deal, some do it all as instructed and still aren’t clean and others say they took it all but only do half and are super clean. If a clinic is running 25% or more bad preps they need to revamp their protocol.

Clarktar

WKR
When are you supposed to do one of these?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I have a family history of colon cancer. At 31 I had some concerning symptoms so my primary care doctor referred me for a colonoscopy. Several polyps were found, including a couple that were pre-cancerous. Since then I have been on a 3 year plan. I am currently 40 and had my 4th colonoscopy last week. I had 2 between my first and the most recent where no polyps were found. Last week they found one polyp. I got the letter in the mail yesterday confirming the polyp was precancerous, so I will remain on the 3 year plan it appears. Better than the alternative I guess.

Every three years,my advise is get it dont at 40,i did because of family history and if i would have waited till 45-50 In wouldn’t have been good.
The process is not bad and I actually feel great after i guess because I actually sleep alittle than I always go eat something really good after.
Good luck!

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Had first one last month. The prep was the worst and may ass was so raw by the end of it. Was so damned let down after getting my wits about me after the procedure. As I was waking up, I had the most vivid vision or dream that I was on Mille Lacs pulling jumbo perch through the ice, I had a new yellow skidoo, Otter flip over and it was a bluebird day. Then I realized what was going on and proceeded to fart and fart and...

Then I was super hungry for pizza.

Goodluck man, hope everything scopes out well!

Chris

Works for this issue, chafing, you name it! In the same category as duct tape for me.

Elkmagnet

FNG
I followed my doctors advice and had my first colonoscopy when I turned 50. This went from a routine colonoscopy to "we found something suspicious and did a biopsy". They called me the next day with the results, I had early stage rectal cancer! Fortunately, it was caught early and I was able to have a simple surgery down there and was able to keep my rectum and colon. In the past five years I've done the "clean out" eight different times for various tests/procedures. So no sympathy from me on that one! So just go and get your colonoscopy. It may save your life, it did mine.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
My mom had colon cancer when she was 38. Fast forward many years and my sister, a nurse, told a doc about our mom. The doc said my sister and I should be checked at 28, 10 years earlier than my mom when she was diagnosed. Well, I was too late for that but I got it ASAP. I'm on the 5 year plan and I've had 4. My last one was summer 2020. My doc said I could wait 10 years if I wanted but insurance covers 100% so I'm staying with the 5 year plan. I'm 48.

My brother was diagnosed with colo/rectal cancer at age 38 and it killed him a year later because they detected it too late. Now I'm on the 5 year colonoscopy plan and there's no reason to avoid it. The prep is the worst part, then they put you to sleep, you wake up and it's over. Trust me, you want nothing to do with colo/rectal cancer. Get checked, stay healthy. Early detection just might save you or one of your loved ones.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
My brother was diagnosed with colo/rectal cancer at age 38 and it killed him a year later because they detected it too late. Now I'm on the 5 year colonoscopy plan and there's no reason to avoid it. The prep is the worst part, then they put you to sleep, you wake up and it's over. Trust me, you want nothing to do with colo/rectal cancer. Get checked, stay healthy. Early detection just might save you or one of your loved ones.
Man, what a gut punch. Damn. Very sorry for your loss. One thing that we've seen reinforced here is that early detection really does save lives.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
I’m due for my first but they’re booked until 2023. Covid backlog.
Find another facility for your screening. I waited two years due to covid and shouldn't have.
Two years can be the difference between 'pre-C' and the big 'C'.... not trying instill fear, just reality.