Color light?

Thess87

WKR
Just for conversation. Do any of you put much thought into color of your headlamp when walking to where you want to be in the morning? I grew up in whitetail world and white light was a no no. I always use green for deer and elk. Just curious what everyone else does. GOOD LUCK

Typically run green or red, haven't ever experimented to find out what white is like when hiking to a huntable spot

I’m from MN grew up whitetail hunting and coyote hunting But I worked in Montana and coyote hunted there were lights are legal and I found red to work better then green they just don’t care about a red light

Red or green, white will take away your "night vision", causing blind spots. Takes a few minutes to get your night vision back. My guide said he once did an impromptu light test. He was on the edge of a meadow with some Elk feeding about 60 yards away near total dark. He shined his green flashlight lens directly at them and got no reaction, same with his red light-no reaction. When he lit his flashlight with the white light, it was pointed at the ground toward his feet, not at the Elk like the green or red. The Elk immediately lifted their head and looked in his direction. They became obviously nervous and started moving away from him. We don't use white light, except for field dressing at night, or when back at the truck at the end of the hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I generally don't use a head lamp for hiking in the dark of any color. I've never had a problem using white light, but I don't use much of it either way. I kind of laugh every time I see 3 or 4 headlamps bobbing around in the dark from a mile away.

TomJoad

WKR
I generally don't use a head lamp for hiking in the dark of any color.

If the sky is clear this is my go to and it often is where I hunt but if moonless and clouded over, the dark timber isn’t navigable especially off trail wayfinding and needing to reference GPS on occasion which will blind you even with the screen turned down.

Go to is red for me when needed. Eyes seem to recover faster and animals don’t notice.

prm

WKR
Red. Maintain night vision and animals don’t see as well on the red end of the spectrum.

Yes, we don't want to experiment while hunting either. White light can attract more attention. We prefer the green light. Probably, we don't want to miss our prey. Moreover, we rarely get out to hunt. The last time I went hunting was in February of this year. I'm sorry that we can't get together more often. What can I do? In addition, you still need to get into the hunting season.
This post got weirder with each sentence.

Troll.

CoStick

WKR
I use white and only use light to avoid being the target of the predawn shots.